TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I took my truck for a decent run with a bunch of other rigs today, ended up getting a decent leak in my rad, but some sealant stuff seems to have done the trick on that. However, after I hosed down the engine bay of all the coolant and took her for a spin, I shut off my truck and noticed a hissing sound coming from the top of my engine. There was air coming from one of the middle headbolts on the passenger side, by the spark plugs.
Now, I'm sure this has been doing it for more than just today, since water pooled up in that area after hosing it down and I could hear it because of the air going through the water. I did a quick google search but haven't found much, just wanting your guys opinion of this. Is my head gasket done? Can I just torque down the bolts? (Meant to do it before I got my truck on the road anyway, lots of guys said it helps prevent blown hg's on the 5m).
I'm just getting really frustrated, seems like something messes up everytime I wheel this thing. And I was planning on making due with this engine till summer, then buying a rebuilt 7mgte from JDM. Really don't want to have to do the hg if I can get away with it...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually, now that I think about it, and talked with my dad, it seems to be coolant was coming out of the head bolt after the system gets pressurized when I turn the engine off. My dad thinks that since I lost so much coolant during the day, and driving home with it overheating, I may have warped the head, or stretched/expanded it, and when it cooled, the head bolts aren't as tight as they used to be.

Now, seeing as I'm looking at doing either an engine swap or a full rebuild in the near future, can I just tighten down the head bolts, or get new head bolts, and make due till then? Or is this something that I can't fix with a bandaid, and my engine will blow up if I don't fix it the right away? I was hoping to do a full rebuild over the summer, but if I have to do the head gasket or change the head, I might as well just rebuild it over the winter break between semesters.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
What does your oil look like?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil looks fine from what I can see. And I think the coolant wasn't coming from the head bolt now that I looked at it again. Seems like it was coming from the seam right above and to the side of the head bolt. Drove it a bit today and nothing seems to be coming from there, so it looks like it just got really hot yesterday and stretched. Hopefully this lasts till summer. And I have to space my rad out on the bottom even more, the crank pulley rubbed when I was flexing out yesterday, it just enough to spring a leak. Sealant seems to have worked though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That engine is prone to head gasket failure and the cylinders become egg shaped as well. Do a compression test to be safe.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Gotta agree, have seen this before, and from the description it is either cracked head or failed head gasket. Id reccomend Pressure test cooling system and do a block test. leakdown test etc. Get ready to remove the head. These engine often have camshaft problems repeatedly.The 85 and newer recieved oil pump and oil galley mods from the factory, but pre 85 motors suffered many ill fated design flaws.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts