TTORA Forum banner

5VZ Coolant leak @ back of motor

47K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  ShowStop 
#1 ·
Well, the truck is apart, on stands, and it has been sitting in the driveway for the past 4 days.

All of the sudden, out of the blue, it decides to leak on me. I come home from work and I have a pretty good sized leak on the driveway. Feeling at the back of the motor, I've pinpointed it to the heater hoses.

Specifically where it comes out of the middle of the block, into a 90* elbow that bends up and connects to a hose.

Looked in the FSM for a cooling diagram so I can figure out WTF to do, but haven't been able to find one. Has anyone had a problem similar?

#5 ·
You talking about the piece with the "X" on it? You have to remove the upper and lower intake and you'll see it runs from front to back of the engine, under the intake of course.

#6 ·
The end of the tube that runs to the front of the block has two screws that fasten it via a flange and is sealed with FIPG, and if I remember correctly there is also a screw on the other side of that plate for support. If you have a leak from that by-pass tube, coolant will fill up between the heads and leak past that plate. Another possibilty is a HG leak. Either way you need to get that leak fixed.

#7 ·
Great.

So I'm able to access this spot without moving the motor, just pullin the intake manifold?

This blows. A long shot, but do you have a pic with the manifold off, or what this part is called?

#8 ·
Yep, no need to pull the motor. You just need to remove the air chambers and intake manifold. If you want more pics, let me know. I took pictures at every step while rebuilding my engine so I have a lot of them.

#11 ·
hmm that sucks. I had to pull the intake manifold on my dads chevy 350 after i blew the gasket racing some dude. I didnt even realize it untill i pulled into a gas station and i let the smoke out. Luckily the radiator is massive in that thing and it held ALOT of fluid. Guess what truck pulled her home?!?!?! The good old toyota!:)
Kinda looked funny when a lifted toyota was pulling home a half ton chevy!

#13 ·
#14 · (Edited)
To get to the by-pass tube the only major items to remove are the air chamber assembly and the intake manifold, plus the associated hoses and other pain in the ass parts. Only three screws fasten it to the block. When I did my rebuild I removed the by-pass after removing the heads, but you should be able to slide it right out to the rear without removing the heads. That end plate is the only thing captured between the heads.

Here are a few views of whats under there:

If you wind up removing the tube, I would use the recommended Toyota seal packing 1282B for the install. And be careful you dont break the knock sensor wires while your in there. One of them clips to the by-pass tube.

#15 ·
Thanks a MILLION

I see how it's in there now. Looks like I only need to slip it back 1/5" or so then pull it up. Should be just fine with the xover pipe in the way.

Thanks for the heads up on the seal packing. I think I have some leftover from a project a while back.

BTW, clean 5vZ!

#16 ·
Thanks. I completely rebuilt the engine from the ground up and had fun doing it.

Before you start taking things apart, make sure the leak isn't actually coming from the hose attached to the by-pass tube and dripping down that plate. If coolant is leaking behind the plate then you may have a small lake under the intake manifold. Good luck.

#18 ·
My donor engine also had a leak under the intake manifold prior. I took the first picture the day after I picked up the engine and got it on the stand. You can see the coolant residue around the plate, and based on the rust level in the tear down pic, that is how much coolant filled up under the manifold. It was hard to tell where the leak came from, but it looked like the hg was leaking pretty good but not into the cylinders. I think the PO of the donor 4Runner ran like this for a while.

#19 ·
Now this is really wierd.

Truck is back together, and I drove it for a couple days, and then let it sit for a couple of days. It hasn't leaked since.

So, it sits for a week or so, it leaks, but if I drive it, no leaks.

I'll probably still end up tearing down into it, but does this clue point me in any direction?

#21 ·
You said back together did you take the hose off and put it back on how far did you go?

If you took the hose off and put it back on that may have been it! Bad connection made good when re-connected!

#23 ·
Oops, sorry. Back together meant hte rest of the truck, haven't touched the motor.

I just drove it once I popped the gears in, and it hasn't leaked since, even if it sits for a couple days.

When I get back form this academy next week, and I see a good week to do it, I will tear into this motor and find this leak once and for all. At least now I don't have to worry TOO much.

Thanks CAD!

#24 ·
I just wanted to give a quick thanks for posting those pics!! I have been looking for pics like that for months.. My wifes 4Runner has either a bad knock sensor or a problem with the wires that run under the intake and wondered what everything looked like with the intake off. Also, I have a pending valve cover gasket job to do on the motor so I may just have to dive into the valve cover gaskets and the knock sensor issue at the same time. I saved your pics for future reference, hope you dont mind.

#30 · (Edited)
Parts I'm going to order to tear into this. I figure I can order freeze plugs at the auto parts store if needbe...

1 - FIPG 08826-00100
1 - 17176-62040 - Gasket from Air Intake Chamber Assy to Intake Air Connector Assy (Gasket between upper and lower intake assembly)
1- 17176-62040 - Gasket from Intake Air Connector Assy - Intake Manifold (Gasket between lower and manifold)
1 - 90301-07024 - O-Ring for Fuel Pressure Regulator
1 - 17177-62060 - Intake Manifold Gakset (Left side)*
1 - 17177-62060 - Intake Manifold Gasket ( Right Side)*

* - May be sold together...

-P

#31 ·
Sweet. Thank you Phill.
I'll see if Toyota can get these together by tomorrow.
I'm set to start this Saturday morning (if I can swap out the CV on the 06 quick enough). I don't know how far we'll get, regardless - I'll post pics/progress.
Trevor

#32 ·
So I just got off the phone with Toyota.

Prices were:
1 - FIPG 08826-00100..Toyota said they only have 00103?? It's used for all engine and is black????
1 - Gasket from Air Intake Chamber Assy to Intake Air Connector Assy (Gasket between upper and lower intake assembly)....$12.06
1- Gasket from Intake Air Connector Assy - Intake Manifold (Gasket between lower and manifold)......Same part# as above......$12.06
1 - O-Ring for Fuel Pressure Regulator......$3.00
1 - Intake Manifold Gakset (Left side)*.....$56.00!!!
1 - Intake Manifold Gasket ( Right Side)*.....$56.00!!

* - May be sold together...They are sold seperately.

Toyota said the manifold gaskets are a few days out. So not sure if I'll get to those this weekend.
Trevor

#34 ·
No. They are the local dealer.
I was going to hop into ASAP and can't wait on shipping.
I might try TOD and see the difference. Might be worth the wait....LOL

#35 ·
u guys ever figure this leak out? Mine had a leak coming from the coolant shut off valve controlled by a wire from the hot/cold thermostat inside the cab. just ran a strait through connector cause i think its for the a/c to just block off hot water from gettin to the heater core

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.