TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2.4/2.7L Toyota engines are known for their extreme longevity, and there are even some reports on here of 3.0L V6's pushing over 250k. After hitting 150k today in my truck, I am curious how much longer other 3.4L's have gone without being rebuilt. I drive the shit out of my truck, about 3k a month and it still feels as strong as the day I bought it at 92k. Should I start saving up now for a rebuild?

·
Registered
584 Posts
With proper maintenance, I would say you should see 200K easily. Mine has 110K on it now and it runs like the day is was made. Slightly better due to the S/C though. Even with my S/C, I expect to see 200K or more out of mine.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Should I start saving up now for a rebuild?
#1-No, add fuel.
#2-Change oil and filter every 3k miles.
#3-Change your t-belt/waterpump every 90k.
#4-Keep driving it and set a new record.

·
Registered
217 Posts
#2-Change oil and filter every 3k miles.
Waste of time and money. ;)

Here is my most recent oil analysis out of my 95.5 Taco, 3.4L with 5spd. This was 5000 miles and 1 year of driving (work is 4 miles, so I do lots of short trip). Oh yeah, dino oil too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just hit 180,500 miles and mine still runs strong. I'm planing on replacing the ORIGINAL water pump and timing belt soon. It was changed at 90k. Maintenance is key. :kewl:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just hit 180,500 miles and mine still runs strong. I'm planing on replacing the ORIGINAL water pump and timing belt soon. It was changed at 90k. Maintenance is key. :kewl:
Good to hear! Are you planning on doing the water pump and timing chain yourself? My water pump has some wobble to it and needs to get replaced ASAP. I'm intimidated though because I've never done it before and it seems like a tight squeeze up in there. I remember saying the same thing about my first girlfriend though, and I got over that real quick so maybe I'll step it up and try it.

its the truth....ive rarely see a 3.4 go bad...i see totaled trucks all the time
You're right... there's a graveyard of dead tacos in at the pick n pull a couple miles from my house. Thats where I get my cheap parts :D With so many uninsured/asshole drivers on the road even if you drive like a bitch your baby can still get mangled.

·
Registered
174 Posts
With so many uninsured/asshole drivers on the road even if you drive like a bitch your baby can still get mangled.[/QUOTE]

Speakin' the truth my friend... Especially in Los Angeles, 3 accidents in 15years, nothing major but all no speaky ingles and no insurance. Last one was bad, on my motorcycle, same shit, a gardening truck of all vehicles.
Oh sorry, 178k, drive like it's stolen, dry oil pan, dino. Still strong, knockin on wood...
eric

·
Registered
58 Posts
my taco has 203,000 miles on her now, drive it every day to work and back, and she still runs like new, i also need to get the origional waterpump changed on it, along with timing belt again. i changed over to the high mileage oil a couple months ago, besides that i keep filling up the tank and driving it like i stole it :D I am sure you 3.4 will do fine!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good to hear! Are you planning on doing the water pump and timing chain yourself? My water pump has some wobble to it and needs to get replaced ASAP. I'm intimidated though because I've never done it before and it seems like a tight squeeze up in there. I remember saying the same thing about my first girlfriend though, and I got over that real quick so maybe I'll step it up and try it.
Yeah I am going to do the work myself. Dealer wants like $600+!!! I ordered all the parts from www.trdparts4u.com. They are on order now. There are many write ups on how to change the timing belt and water pumps floating around here and on the net. Here are a few links.

http://128.83.80.200/taco/timingbelt.html

http://s94741489.onlinehome.us/albums/truck_stuff/wat/20050122_timing_belt/index.html

http://www.toy4x4.net/timing_belt/index.htm

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timing_belt/

http://www.lieblweb.com/tacoma/Mechanical/WaterPump/WaterPump.htm

I would try it yourself. Just make sure you have all the correct replacement parts and tools and it should be no problem. There is a special tool, a tensioner compressor, that makes replacing the timing belt really easy. You'll see it in the write ups. I actually ordered this part and have it. But I decided to replace my tensioner so I have no need for the part now. Good Luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Bradrob, I live around the corner from you off Tabler Station Road in Martinsburg-Shanghai is over near Back Creek Mtn. right?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
My water pump has some wobble to it and needs to get replaced ASAP.
That thing that looks just like a water pump behind the fan clutch isn't a water pump, it's just a bearing in a hollow housing. That's the good news, the bad news is it costs more than most water pumps do.:missingto

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
haha tufemup... I'm glad someone got the joke about my girlfriend.

That thing that looks just like a water pump behind the fan clutch isn't a water pump, it's just a bearing in a hollow housing. That's the good news, the bad news is it costs more than most water pumps do.:missingto
Aw shit! That wobble was the whole reason I thought about replacing the so-called "water pump". Looks like I'll be taking care of that too. Is that bearing thing behind the fan clutch called the fan idler bracket or the water pump bracket? I'm looking at both of them online right now and they look exactly the same except one is $237 and the other is $56. Please don't tell me I need both.

Fan Idler Bracket

Water Pump Bracket

1 - 20 of 244 Posts