TTORA Forum banner

5VZ-FE (3.4L) Lifespan

182K views 254 replies 168 participants last post by  armoredsavatage 
#1 ·
The 2.4/2.7L Toyota engines are known for their extreme longevity, and there are even some reports on here of 3.0L V6's pushing over 250k. After hitting 150k today in my truck, I am curious how much longer other 3.4L's have gone without being rebuilt. I drive the shit out of my truck, about 3k a month and it still feels as strong as the day I bought it at 92k. Should I start saving up now for a rebuild?

#2 ·
With proper maintenance, I would say you should see 200K easily. Mine has 110K on it now and it runs like the day is was made. Slightly better due to the S/C though. Even with my S/C, I expect to see 200K or more out of mine.

#3 ·
Should I start saving up now for a rebuild?
#1-No, add fuel.
#2-Change oil and filter every 3k miles.
#3-Change your t-belt/waterpump every 90k.
#4-Keep driving it and set a new record.

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
I just hit 180,500 miles and mine still runs strong. I'm planing on replacing the ORIGINAL water pump and timing belt soon. It was changed at 90k. Maintenance is key. :kewl:

#8 ·
Good to hear! Are you planning on doing the water pump and timing chain yourself? My water pump has some wobble to it and needs to get replaced ASAP. I'm intimidated though because I've never done it before and it seems like a tight squeeze up in there. I remember saying the same thing about my first girlfriend though, and I got over that real quick so maybe I'll step it up and try it.

its the truth....ive rarely see a 3.4 go bad...i see totaled trucks all the time
You're right... there's a graveyard of dead tacos in at the pick n pull a couple miles from my house. Thats where I get my cheap parts :D With so many uninsured/asshole drivers on the road even if you drive like a bitch your baby can still get mangled.

#9 · (Edited)
With so many uninsured/asshole drivers on the road even if you drive like a bitch your baby can still get mangled.[/QUOTE]

Speakin' the truth my friend... Especially in Los Angeles, 3 accidents in 15years, nothing major but all no speaky ingles and no insurance. Last one was bad, on my motorcycle, same shit, a gardening truck of all vehicles.
Oh sorry, 178k, drive like it's stolen, dry oil pan, dino. Still strong, knockin on wood...
eric

#11 ·
my taco has 203,000 miles on her now, drive it every day to work and back, and she still runs like new, i also need to get the origional waterpump changed on it, along with timing belt again. i changed over to the high mileage oil a couple months ago, besides that i keep filling up the tank and driving it like i stole it :D I am sure you 3.4 will do fine!!

#21 ·
I've seen it called a fan bracket and a fake water pump. Both of those links show the same part don't they?

#23 ·
Fan Idler Bracket

They both look the same in the pictures, but the description of the first one lists the 3vz-fe engine, which is not the right one. The second lists the correct 5vz-fe, so I would say the second one. Still a good price though, the dealership wants $600+.

#26 ·
They both look the same in the pictures, but the description of the first one lists the 3vz-fe engine, which is not the right one. The second lists the correct 5vz-fe, so I would say the second one. Still a good price though, the dealership wants $600+.
I bought one on ebay for about $120 (made in China), so far its working fine but I have an e-fan now so not much weight on it anymore.

#24 ·
Thanks for your help and feedback guys. I have a lot more confidence in my engine after hearing these high mileages others have seen. I think the key is definitely going to be thorough maintenance with the aid of this site. I'm going to go ahead and take care of the water pump and timing belt this weekend so hopefully that goes well.

#229 · (Edited)
The engine is very well built and will last a long time. Well over 300,000 miles with good maintenance. The other thing to take care of is the automatic transmission. Most people neglect it . I am forced to have an automatic transmission due to a knee injury on my clutch knee. So I baby the $hit out of my transmission. I change the fluid once a year and have did so since it was new in 2003. I also disconnected the transmission cooling lines completely from the radiator and use an aftermarket over sized cooler to cool my transmission. This also helps keep the transmission cooler and if the radiator ruptures , you wont get transfluid and anit-freeze mixed togather which will destroy the transmission. I just "capped" off the radiator/factory cooler with a single hose. I can always add it back if needed but the transmission runs so much cooler when disconnected from the radiator. Here's a picture. Do this and keep your engines oil changed regulary and you will have a long engine and transmission life.

Attachments

#28 ·
Mine has about 120K on it. My flexplate broke and after replacing it my transmission went too. Not sure wtf caused the trans to eat shit other then a hard supercharged life. Also had to replace the Starter once. Other then that the truck has run great. It will last a long time, especially if you're not supercharged.

#33 ·
mine went 259,000 before the po ran it low on coolant, overheated, and it blew a head gasket. the engine still looked like it would have gone for a while had it not blown the headgasket.

#35 ·
I just turned 120,000 on mine and it runs like a champ. Actually headed out to change the oil right now. Which raises a good question;

Is it *really* bad to go by 5,000 mile intervals rather than 3000 miles? I like the round numbers and do alot of driving, so 3000 seems a bit too often for me. The oil doesn't look too bad during draining and consumption is non existent.

#36 ·
A freind of mine has a 99 4Runner with 237,000 miles on the 3.4L. He's has the T-Belt and water pump done as per schedule. It still has the original clutch and brakes. The dealer once told him that they would not want him to go about teaching others how to properly drive in the mountains.

My Tacoma is only at a mere 120,000. The clutch has the funny chirp but there's still tons of pad and shoe material left on the brakes.

#39 ·
Hmm...considering my truck was totaled at 90K and the motor had the alternator sheared off of the block, bent fan bracket, sat for over a year and after replacing the alternator but not the fant bracket, it fired after 3 or 4 cranks and ran like a champ for another 40K before I replaced the fan bracket. Oh and then I came to find out the water pump port was kinked halfway shut and the engine still never got hot for that same 40K w/out a fan shroud. I'm gonna go w/ it's life span is a realllly long time.

#42 ·
I change my oil ever 5k or so. After having oil analyzed several times and reading the results of other people that had it done, I came to the conclusion that unless your engine is beyond help already, changing the oil every 3k is a giant waste of time and money.

Hell, the highest mileage car I've ever driven was an 1987 535is with 320k on it. Ran like a charm, and when I asked about oil changes the owner told me he just had it changed once in the spring and once in the fall regardless of mileage. I think BMW actually reccomends oil changes every 15k on all the newer cars. I would be worried about the filter breaking down before the oil...

And as for the reliability of the 3.4 goes, you'll probably be absolutely sick of your truck before the engine goes on it:D

#45 ·
Consider mine dead at 209022. I am leaving combustion gas through the cooling system and I am not going to fix a top end when the bottom end is that old.

I took good care of this engine too As far as I am concerned it burns no oil and got 22 mpg. The first 150k was in the Northeast and there is a lot of rust and corrosion on the engine. I have not pinpointed the cause of the leak, but it could be head gasket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.