TTORA Forum banner

221 - 240 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have 271,000 on mine and I still get 17 - 18 MPG on the fwy. The engine has never been cracked open. Basic maintenance: Timing belt, plugs, plug wires and water pump every 100k; Transmission Fluid Flush every 75k; Air Filter, Oil Change and Tire Rotation/Balance every 5k; Differential Fluids changed every 15k.
I use regular gas, nothing special.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine just crossed over into 300land. Currently 308K and going strong. I pull a trailer with it regularly and I drive it hard in the mountains in CO. Its a 96 SR5 4runner, manual, with factory elec rear locker, and 265 BFGs (I'm about to put 31s or 33s on it with a 3in rough country lift). All I've ever done is replace my timing belts every 90-100K, oil every 3500, replace exhaust system once and I'm on my second clutch. I will never let go of this 4runner.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thanks for your help and feedback guys. I have a lot more confidence in my engine after hearing these high mileages others have seen. I think the key is definitely going to be thorough maintenance with the aid of this site. I'm going to go ahead and take care of the water pump and timing belt this weekend so hopefully that goes well.
The engine is very well built and will last a long time. Well over 300,000 miles with good maintenance. The other thing to take care of is the automatic transmission. Most people neglect it . I am forced to have an automatic transmission due to a knee injury on my clutch knee. So I baby the $hit out of my transmission. I change the fluid once a year and have did so since it was new in 2003. I also disconnected the transmission cooling lines completely from the radiator and use an aftermarket over sized cooler to cool my transmission. This also helps keep the transmission cooler and if the radiator ruptures , you wont get transfluid and anit-freeze mixed togather which will destroy the transmission. I just "capped" off the radiator/factory cooler with a single hose. I can always add it back if needed but the transmission runs so much cooler when disconnected from the radiator. Here's a picture. Do this and keep your engines oil changed regulary and you will have a long engine and transmission life.

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
The life span on the 3.4 is quite good from the ones I have seen. When the time comes, eBay a Japanese take out engine with 50,000 miles. I have used them, they look like brand new, and can be had in complete form for about $800.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought an 02 V6 x-tra cab TRD 5-speed manual in 4-08 with 78K on it. It was totaled on a large deer on 1-7-16. It had 205K on the odometer and I was ready to do the 2nd time belt change. It ran like new. Everything worked. The frame was tested by Toyota in 2012 and described as "mint" by them and was then coated. I washed it underneath every week and oiled it inside and out. I work 2nd shift and it started on the first turn of the key on the coldest NY nights of the 2015 Polar Vortex. The metal underneath was about 90% original paint black. I trusted it completely. I was ready to go to 300K. What a heartbreak. Oh well, life goes on and I found an '04 with 101K on it and a new frame with a perfect burgandy body. Engine runs strong and it shifts great. 18mpg. I am changing all fluids and put on shocks and another e-locker actuator on it yesterday I found used on Ebay which works great. Front axle seal needs changing then the time belt and I will be on my way to 200K.

·
Registered
15 Posts
At 228837 as of this morning. Valvoline synthetic every 5K, drain, fill trans every spring. Plugs, airfilter when i remember. Been a good truck. Tow a 3000lb trailer 8+ times a year for the last 10yrs on short and long camping trips. If i don't see at least 300K i'd be disappointed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for your help and feedback guys. I have a lot more confidence in my engine after hearing these high mileages others have seen. I think the key is definitely going to be thorough maintenance with the aid of this site. I'm going to go ahead and take care of the water pump and timing belt this weekend so hopefully that goes well.
The engine is very well built and will last a long time. Well over 300,000 miles with good maintenance. The other thing to take care of is the automatic transmission. Most people neglect it . I am forced to have an automatic transmission due to a knee injury on my clutch knee. So I baby the $hit out of my transmission. I change the fluid once a year and have did so since it was new in 2003. I also disconnected the transmission cooling lines completely from the radiator and use an aftermarket over sized cooler to cool my transmission. This also helps keep the transmission cooler and if the radiator ruptures , you wont get transfluid and anit-freeze mixed togather which will destroy the transmission. I just "capped" off the radiator/factory cooler with a single hose. I can always add it backin if needed but the transmission runs so much cooler when disconnected from the radiator. Here's a picture. Do this and keep your engines oil changed regulary and you will have a long engine and transmission life.
That's a good idea. When i put the external cooler on i did it in series. What temp does yours run? Anu towing? Im usually at 180 on the discharge line when towing.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Had 283K when I sold my 05 back in 2012 and have 189K on the 97 I just picked up.... Top end was rebuilt with all OEM so I expect a lot more life out of it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I spent time with 4 5vz's this summer. A 97k mile baby, my 204k daily driver which has seen a ton of abuse, a 265k neglected rustbucket that tended to run hot under load (probably clogged radiator) but made it across the country fine, and a 302k totaled 4runner I bought that still ran and drove fine. So a 95, 96, 98, and 01 that all still ran flawlessly.

The one I have the most respect for is my 01, because I know the hell it's been through. Supercharged and beat mercilessly for a few years, way overloaded with trailers, lot of idle time charging the battery when I lived out of the truck for a few years. It gets 5k ish oil changes. Doesn't burn a drop and does all I ask of it without complaint.

I've been able to consistently get 24mpg highway out of all 3 tacoma's, so that's really not bad for a 4x4 v6 either.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It would be interesting if there were some way to come up with actual numeric stats on the average lifespan of the 3RZ and 5VZ in terms of how long they've gone on average in vehicles before catastrophically failing. This would pretty much ignore any vehicle whose life ended as a result of a crash or other truck-totalling incident (theft, crash, flood, fire, etc).

I bet more vehicles with either engine have been junked due to rotted out bodies and other failures than those that have gone to the junkyard with blown motors.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
This is going to be vastly affected by how well the engine is maintained or how much abuse and hard use it has seen. Same goes for any engine but most Toyota stuff is well known for reliability over other brands but nothing is abuse or fool proof.

221 - 240 of 245 Posts