TTORA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched around on the forum and could not find anything discussing this . . .

I am replacing my camshaft end plug seals on my tacoma with the 3.4L V6 (5vz-fe) engine. As I was removing one of the bolts for the cap that holds the seal in place, it did not come out smooth, and I noticed some pulled threads in the bolt. It appears that the bolt was over torqued by the factory, or possibly a previous owner, but I do not believe that the previous owner ever had the valve covers off.

When I went to reinstall the cap, the same bolt pulled all the threads at about 50 in-lb of torque. Torque for similar bolts on cam caps is 144 in-lb. The bolt appears to be a 7mm x 1.0 thread since it won't fit in my 6mm x 1.0 thead die and is loose in my 8mm x 1.0 thread die. Due to the dowel pin in the cylinder head where these threads are stripped, I cannot tap with a 8.0 mm thread size. Has anyone else run into this issue, or have an ideas on how to remedy this? This cam seal retainer cap also seals against the valve cover gasket, so one thought is that I can just leave the bolt out since the cap will be fully captured by the two dowel pins on the bottom and the valve cover on the top. Only risk I see is that it could cause the camshaft end plug seal to leak. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott

Attachments

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Never been in there, but how about removing the dowel, helicoil, then install the dowel again?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts