TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Building off of the CXRacing Turbo kit with custom FMIC and smaller turbo. Target HP is 300-350 WHP. Target date was JAN-FEB, currently TBD.

Turbo Build Parts:
-CXRacing 5VZ Turbo kit
-URD Port Fueler with 27ld injectors - Installed (not hooked up to fuel feed)
-Felco 255lph pump
-Oil Catch can
-TRD radiator cap
-170 degree's thermostat
-Manual Boost controller
-Two gauge pod column mount
-Boost and AFR gauge
-JEGS Oil Filter Relocation Kit
-Trans cooler
-Trans shift kit

Current Mods:
Suspension:
-Bilstein 5100's Front / FOA 10" Resi custom mount Back
-Eibach Coils
-Light Racing UCA
-OME Leafs ordered + OME AAL
-U-Bolt flip
-All Pro shackles
-1" Diff Drop
-BAMF Brake Valve Bracket

Armor:
-4xInovation Sliders w/Kickout
-Trail Gear Rear Bumper
-Three piece skid plates (transmission included)

Engine/Drivetrain/etc...:
-Deck Plate
-Tundra Brakes w/ Braided Lines

Cosmetic Mods:
-Interior Led light swap
-Satoshi Grill
-BAMF Behind the Grill Light Bar
-27W Led Floods behind the Grill
-Rear Light bar with Hi Lift mount and 18W Cree Led spots
-Custom Rear Bed Light bar with Hi-Lift Mount

Tires:
-285/75 Treadwright GDogs
-In Bed Spare Tire Carier w/ full Size spare

Future Mods/Wishlist:
-4.56 Gears
-Front Locker/Limited Slip (not sure which one yet)
-Locus C/V's (yeah right)
-Front tube bumper
-RTT/Bed Rack

How it sits today:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Port fueler, injectors, gauge pod, and catch can. AFR wideband and boost gauge ordered and expecting to see two very large and heavy boxes tomorrow :D.

[/URL]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those that are counting, total cost so far is $2,380, about as much as a new TRD SC.

That said, got the TRD port fueler + injectors + harnesses used, AEM FIC used, and a cheap Felco 255LPH pump ($50).

Crossing my fingers on the pump :p

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the Transmission Valve Body off today for shift kit install. Not too hard but very messy. Didn't get many pics due to being covered in trans fluid but got a few.

Draining (fluid is nice and clean because I got a flush like 2 months ago. What a waist :():

Pan off. At this point things got very messy so pics were put on hold:

I had to rush the VB to FedEx to catch the truck. Here is what is left (Ill be covering it up shortly):

Expecting it to be returned by the upcoming Friday for install.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shift kit delivery delayed until Monday :(. However got my "rocket ship" (as my wife put it).

Three piece belly skids:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So VB drama. Didnt arrive yesterday as per shipper. Got it sorted out, he sent it yesterday and I should get it today... SMH.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Transmission update:

VB was shipped late. Installed Wed. No shifting. Turns out, VB was shipped with a defective gasket. Getting my truck towed to transmission shop this Saturday. Expect to get fixed Monday...

Full review on the guy that did my shift body work pending final install, etc... So far very unhappy with how he's addressing his mistakes :mad:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the truck back this past Tuesday. Additional $340 to fix :( (came out of my dyno tuning fund, probably going to delay the build...). Guy who did the shift kit not taking responsibility; lesson learned. Go to IPT for your shift kit. Better quality and better customer service.

Today did some work on the injectors/URD Port Fueler. Came for the previous owner wired already, however not very well. Im not going to say what it looked like, but it rhymes with smis-mortion.

Started with cleaning the injectors and port fueler (lots of grime/dirt) and finished with wiring the injectors.

Everything cut up and ready for new wiring (no pics or original wiring, camera was still charging when I started. It was basically a lot of electrical tape and rats nest of wires):

Wiring complete. I hate soldering and heatshrinking. I usually f it up but this time everything went ok.

Ready for install (plastic wrap to keep the ports clean):

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not dead, just busy.

A quick update. Finished splicing the wires for the AEM FIC unit. Initial testing wasnt good, got some engine codes and the FIC gauges weren't reading properly. Turns out the Ultra Gauge (plugged into my OBDII) was causing some issues. Unplugged that and so far everything is working great.

Here is my IC mounting bracket (CXRacing bracket, modified to fit the IC i picked out). Just bent the plate 90* and drilled new mounting holes. Its alu so just used a ball hammer and the side of a table to bend. Square to check angles.

Here is my MS Paint comparison on the CXRacing IC mounting and my mounting. Notice the placement of the screw holes for the diff IC's. The original CXRacing had mounting holes on the side of the IC vice the bottom.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fuel pump installed with minimum drama (unless you call Brent lying under the tank for about 15min while I figure out how all the connections/hoses to be removed.... and about a cup or two of gas I shot out of my feed line when it came off during initial testing....).

Also installed the URD fueler and injectors, still need to tap the fuel line and hook up the injector wires.

I was in a hurry and didnt take many pics (I know, this build sux; slow and not many pics, sorry...)

Special thanks to Ron and Brent for the help. Ron for the intake manifold and Brent for helping with the gas tank.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bad news first. Think the AME FIC unit is bad. Keeps giving a ground and killing the battery. $90 for out of warranty work :(. Im going the check the circuit board tonight for anything obvious and easy to fix.

Today got some wire loom to make everything pretty:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: Still experiencing a ground with the AEM FIC unit... Build kind of on hold until this is figured out :(.

I cracked my grill when doing the mesh install and it was enough to not support my passenger side corner light. I lost two lights on the highway and decided I needed new lights (headlights were yellow too). Out with the old and in with the new:

Overall install was mild. No instructions were provided but it was pretty easy to figure out. You have to cut your grill at the ends though. Measure twice, cut once.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First, these headlights suck at night. I need brighter bulbs...

Second, got run off the road yesterday by a **** dick at ~65mph. Truck slammed into a concrete barrier but the trail gear took all of the damage (and fabteck tire carrier handle was bent from the 150+ lbs of gear sliding around in the bed). I never considered this bumper to be "weak" but I did have my doubts had have been contemplating a different one. Not anymore :D.

Below is a letter I posted for the Trail Gear staff on their forum:

Dear Trail-Gear,

Today I was run off the highway at 65+ mph by an individual who thought he owned the road (and was very annoyed I didn't agree). In the rain slick conditions, and with 150+ lbs of gear in the bed, my truck (2001 Tacoma) fishtailed off the highway and ultimately the rear end slammed into a concrete barrier. The impact was so hard my bones literally hurt and as I was rolling to a stop on the shoulder, I had to pep talk myself that it will be ok and I can always get a 4Runner. Seriously, I thought my truck was utterly totaled and everything between the cab and rear bumper was now in a hundred pieces and scattered across the highway. It took a few seconds, but I eventually mustered the courage to face the carnage. But there wasn't any. In fact only carnage I initially saw as I stepped out of my truck was the gash on the concrete barrier. Now to put this into perspective, it took a few seconds to actually come to a stop after the hit. Where I hit the barrier was now about 50-75 yards away, yet I could see very clearly where pieces of concrete exploded on impact and were flown across the other side of the highway. As shocked as I was from the accident, I was even more shocked that my truck was very much in one piece, with not a single noticeable scratch. Dumbfounded, I started inspecting every inch to see what in the realm of reality hit the concrete so hard that my teeth were rattled loose. It was your bumper. And (excuse my French but there is only one way accurately to convey this in words) holy ****ing ****, did your bumper take that hit it like a champ!

I want to thank you for saving my truck, but more importantly, me, my wife, and two kids want to thank you for saving my life. For your viewing pleasure, below is what a Trail Gear bumper looks like after eating a concrete barrier for lunch at 60+ mph.

Sincerely a very happy and now very loyal customer,
Christopher

Impact (driver) side:

Passenger Side:

Impact side (bed doesn't open anymore):

Passenger Side:

Impact side frame mount (this was a hard shot to get, but basically the steal is bent a good deal:

Passenger side frame mount:

PS, If someone ever intentionally cuts in front of you and slams the brakes, politely place your bumper into their rear seats.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For those following, truck will be out of the shop late next week according to the latest guesstimate.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Truck still in the shop...

So Ive been wanting new springs and u-bolt flip for some time. Broke down and got some OME springs and u-bolt flip. I have the shock relocation tabs already, just need some metal plates and a bar for the mount and a day of welding..

Also getting rid of the light bar and FABTECH tire carrier in exchange for the SOS Concept all in one (bar and tire carrier).

So here is my to-do list:
-Troubleshoot FIC ground :(
______-Mount FIC behind glove box
-Turbo kit install
______-Need to figure out the water lines
______-Need to figure out the IC (got the mount figured, just need to make sure I have the proper plumbing
______-Still need to decide how to run the oil lines
______-Need to purchase exhaust parts
-Trans cooler
-Oil filter relocation
-Catch can install
-3 Piece Belly Skid plate install
______Drill frame for trans skid
-Redo wiring/fuse plate
-Rear shock relocation
______-Need metal plates/bar
-Rear leafs/u-bolt flip
-Install new light bar and tire carrier
-Install new headlight bulbs and reverse light bulbs
-Clean/Vacuum/shampoo interior. Had a slight water leak on driver side door. Replaced weather stripping but now a funky smell.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quick update:

Ordered some OME leaf springs and u-bolt flip. I have the shock mount tabs for the shock relocation but the leafs are back ordered for about 1.5 months.... I need the leafs to measure the up and down travel before installing the shock relocation kit...

Also, I started going through the kit and mapping out the install in my head.

Good news is the oil feed is not via a plate located between the block and oil filter (this was a problem because I wanted to mount a Jegs oil filter relocation kit there). Bad news is the install instructions I got said to use a plate (and has a picture of said plate installed). The oil feed looks to come from the oil pressure sensor but there are no instructions on how to install so we're going to have to figure it out ourselves (I emailed CxRacing for updated instructions but not holding my breath. Not the best customer service, not because they are dicks, but very understaffed).

Other good news is they provide water feed pipes, I just need to purchase some hose and t-fittings. How to run the water lines was an issue I was stumped on but now I think is figured out.

Pics bellow with commentary:

First, skid plates are ready to mount. Ill have to drop the front axle to get the oil pan out for the drain line so these will have to wait.

Oil feed manifold for the oil pressure sensor??? I dont like guessing so CxRacing better have new install instructions coming out soon :mad:

All fitting are hand tight but no fitting for one of the holes (I guessing thats for the sensor) and the fitting marked with the arrow is pass through so Im guessing that threads into the block...

Here is the oil feed line and turbo attachments (I think they provide two in case you want to attach the oil feed on the side fitting but Im not sure. Not really sure what it could be for other than that :notsure:):

Pin hole (I was really worried the would screw this up but looks like they know what they are doing)

Second fitting? Large hole:

Small hole:

Oil drain line with turbo fitting and oil pan bung

Water feed pipes (I was so happy when I found these tonight :p). They were not mentioned in the install instructions:

And more turbo pics just because. Hand is there for comparison. Its a good size snail

4" intake to 2.5" output

Hot side

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok this is bullshit. Anyone looking to buy this kit, dont. CxRacing customer service has been crap from the beginning. Email unanswered, promised call backs never to hear a word, put on hold only to be dropped, etc...

When I ordered the kit, it did not come with an instruction and it took me two weeks of begging to finally get a .pdf file on the installation. The instructions suck and the level of detail is lacking. Further, the oil feed kit in the instructions is not included in the kit. They provide a "universal feed kit" but no installation instructions.

I called and the guy gave me two choices. Buy the original oil feed kit for an extra $20 (the one mentioned in the instructions) or figure the universal kit out my "damn self." Fuck these guys.

I rate the product and workmanship as a B+ from what Ive seen so far without installing yet, but cant in good conscience recommend this kit to anyone due to the shitty customer service.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts