TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I keep seeing stuff about these two engines. What are they and what's the difference? Any pros or cons to one vs the other? I searched and didn't come back with much of anything. Thanks all for the help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I've also read about a 22re. From what I can gather, thats the pre 01 2.7L. Is that correct?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Thanks.

I've also read about a 22re. From what I can gather, thats the pre 01 2.7L. Is that correct?
no, 22re is a pre Tacoma (95.5) 2.4L 4 cyl. If you're looking at a 4 WD Tacoma, its either got the 2.7L I4 or the 3.4L V6.

·
Registered
324 Posts
there were some early tacomas with the 2.4 in it

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
there were some early tacomas with the 2.4 in it

I've heard that, but I've never seen a 4 wheel drive Tacoma with a 2.4. Man, talk about a slug though if there are.......and I thought that my 2.7L with 3.58's was bad.......

·
Registered
69 Posts
Haha, everybody here talks so bad about the 2.7. It's a great motor, especially for being a 4 banger. Hell, just tonight I ran mine for 170 miles and it's sitting on a little under 3/4 of a tank. It's got plenty enough power for the average joe schmo...the only downside is you have to re-gear if you run any kind of bigger tires or lift. Besides, the 3.4 has only got 40 more ponies sitting in it coming from the factory.

I'd take my 2.7 over the six anyday....but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Haha, everybody here talks so bad about the 2.7. It's a great motor, especially for being a 4 banger. Hell, just tonight I ran mine for 170 miles and it's sitting on a little under 3/4 of a tank. It's got plenty enough power for the average joe schmo...the only downside is you have to re-gear if you run any kind of bigger tires or lift. Besides, the 3.4 has only got 40 more ponies sitting in it coming from the factory.

Yeah, I do really like my 2.7L also. Both of my rigs have 2.7L's. They can be a bit hairy on the highway tryin' to merge into traffic, especially with big ass tires, but my little 2.7L tacoma will smoke my friends V6 ranger. And offroad I can put it in 4 Low, second gear and just putt around like its nothing. :D They are no mustang, but they're great for what they do, which is kick ass offroad.

·
Registered
103 Posts

"only" 40 hp - but it also makes it's power lower in the RPM range.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
3RZFE:
-2.7 Liter Inline 4-Cylinder
-155 HP @ 4800 RPM
-177 TQ @ 4000 RPM
-9.5:1 Compression Ratio
-Rev Limiter around 6K RPM's
-Gets about 21-24 MPG combined city/hgwy when mated with the W59 Manual tranny and OEM tires and driven normally(at least for me)
-Has a timing chain

5VZFE
-3.4 Liter V6
-190 HP @ 4800 RPM
-220 TQ @ 3600 RPM
-9.6:1 Compression Ratio
-Rev Limiter around 5500 RPM's
-More balanced overall powerband when compared to the 3RZFE motor
-Fuel economy is slightly less than that of the 3RZFE, most people say it gets about 17-19 MPG combined when mated to the R15#F manual tranny, with OEM tires and driven normally
-Has a timing belt
-Early Model 5VZ Engines made between 1995-1997(maybe as late as '98) had some serious issues with Head Gaskets failing... I think there was a recall to fix this on those specific year motors.

Both motors are really durable and have a reputation of being bulletproof.

·
Registered
871 Posts
2wd

The 2.4l in the 2wd tacomas is not the 22re. The tacos came with a 2rz-fe, which is the same as the 3rz-fe, but smaller displacement. The 22re is a 2.4 liter, but thats about all it has in common with the 2rz. The tacoma never came with a 22re.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all for the info.

Partyman What is the benefit of having a timing chain? Give me a 2 stroke dirt bike and I can work wonders, put a truck in front of me and hope i dont break something.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Thanks all for the info.

Partyman What is the benefit of having a timing chain? Give me a 2 stroke dirt bike and I can work wonders, put a truck in front of me and hope i dont break something.
Timing chains are a no-maintenance item that will generallly last you throughout the life of the vehicle unless the chain guides wear out(which pretty much doesn't happen on most newer cars since they stopped using synthetic/plastic chain guides in the late 80's/early 90's which used to wear out sometimes during cold engine-starts and the chain would rattle like crazy before and eventually cut a hole in the side of the block if not replaced in a timely fashion).

A timing belt is slightly more efficient(nothing you'll notice though), and is a tad quieter but it needs to be replaced usually every 70-90K miles, depending on the vehicle and type of driving you do(highway vs lots of back roads). If a timing belt breaks... certain engines(refered to as interference-type motors) can pretty much get destroyed due to valves being bent and potentially damaged pistons as a result. The 5VZ engine that the 6-cylinder Tacomas use is a non-interference engine... meaning that if the belt breaks, your motor won't get messed up.... you'll just need to get it towed to a repair shop and have it fixed. Timing belts are usually pretty expensive to have fixed, but on these trucks it's cheaper than most from what I've read due to the job being significantly easier than on a lot of other vehicles. Usually you'll want to change out some other common parts while you have the motor apart to do the timing belt too.. such as the water pump and possibly some idler pulleys, etc.

If I had my choice, I would take a timing chain in every vehicle I ever owned for the rest of my life instead of a belt.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Being a college student, I definitely like cheap(er) and reliable over quiet and costing money to upkeep. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
partyman66;935535- said:
Early Model 5VZ Engines made between 1995-1997(maybe as late as '98) had some serious issues with Head Gaskets failing... I think there was a recall to fix this on those specific year motors.

Both motors are really durable and have a reputation of being bulletproof.

Partyman, I believe that issue was only on the pre-Taco 3.0L engines, but it was a non issue when the 3.4L was introduced under the Tacoma name. I know I'm just a newb, but when I was doing research for my truck, I came across that and made sure I got a 3.4L.

I test drove a 2.7L, and decided that there was no way it would be hauling anything up a mountain pass...it seemed like it was just barely lugging around town. I'm sure it would be fine most places, but here in Colorado, you'll damn near get run over if you can't go at least 60mph up the hills. Ask me how I know...:rolleyes: When you got a 5.7L Hemi on your ass, that can't wait to put the whole highway in danger, along with himself, just to get around you, then you understand why more power is good.

BTW, great avatar, partyman.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts