TTORA Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
I love my 2.7. I had a civic before my tacoma and the 2.7 is like having a torque monster hot rod copared to my civic. I have had no problems with it whatsoever maintinence wise. I do wish it picked up a little faster though for merging onto the freeway, but once it gets going its just fine on the highway.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Partyman, I believe that issue was only on the pre-Taco 3.0L engines, but it was a non issue when the 3.4L was introduced under the Tacoma name. I know I'm just a newb, but when I was doing research for my truck, I came across that and made sure I got a 3.4L.
Take a look under the X01 Service Campaign if you can find any documentation on that. That's what Toyota called the effort to replace the head gaskets on the early 5VZFE motors on the T100, 4-Runner and Taco. I remember reading a decent amount about it at the time when I was looking for my truck.

Here is a link to the actual document about it with all the details of the X01 Campaign regarding Head Gasket failure and replacement on affected 5VZFE motors:

http://bigbri.com/images/SSC/x01intro.pdf

Vehicles Affected are any 5VZFE 3.4 Liter V6 Engine-equipped of these model and years:
-4Runner 1996 through Early 1997 Model Year
-T100 1995 through early 1997 Model Year
-Tacoma 1995 through early 1997 Model Year

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Take a look under the X01 Service Campaign if you can find any documentation on that. That's what Toyota called the effort to replace the head gaskets on the early 5VZFE motors on the T100, 4-Runner and Taco. I remember reading a decent amount about it at the time when I was looking for my truck.

Here is a link to the actual document about it with all the details of the X01 Campaign regarding Head Gasket failure and replacement on affected 5VZFE motors:

http://bigbri.com/images/SSC/x01intro.pdf

Vehicles Affected are any 5VZFE 3.4 Liter V6 Engine-equipped of these model and years:
-4Runner 1996 through Early 1997 Model Year
-T100 1995 through early 1997 Model Year
-Tacoma 1995 through early 1997 Model Year
Fair enough. I was misinformed. Sorry about that.... ;)

·
Registered
540 Posts
2rz and 3rz

I did a little checking because the Yota dealers around here aren't real helpfull.
The main difference between the 2rz and 3rz is the stroke. Piston size is the same 95.5 so the 2rz may rev a little quicker but the 3rz makes more torque. I believe the 3rz is square at 95.5 bore and 95.5 stroke and the 2rz is 95.5b and 87s. I know the numbers are right for the 3rz but may be a little off on the stroke for the 2rz.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Quick Draw
I test drove a 2.7L, and decided that there was no way it would be hauling anything up a mountain pass...it seemed like it was just barely lugging around town.
maybe it wasnt tuned right or had oversized tires. but i remember a few years ago when my brother had his standard cab manual tranny 2.7 we had my sister in laws 4x4 atv in the back and did 70 up parleys, i believe he just had 31" bfg all terrain tires, nothing huge.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts