TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a surprise today, and not a good one!!!

So I go to change my plugs and wires (97 T100 4wd) and everything goes smoothly except for one small problem.....that I believe is going to lead to a big problem. When I pulled the coil pack off of the number 3 cylinder I smelled a strong odor of burnt oil. I could see on the actual boot itself what appeared to be burnt oil. Then when I pulled the plug I noticed the diameter of the plug was larger than the others. The NGK plug I tried to replace it with was too small. WTF????? I assume someone along the line stripped the plug threads and rethreaded it. It is the correct Denso K16TR11 plug for the engine, but it appears to have some sort of adaptor on it. Can anyone shed some light on this???? Is the plug just trash/the culprit? Or do I probably have a burnt valve/cylinder issue???? I looked down in to the cylinder and the top of the piston was black, I assume that is NOT GOOD???

This is a bummer since I need the bad boy up and running by September for elk season, and then in Oct the miles are really going to ramp up with bird season opening........If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.

FYI this motor has 179k. I guess i'll run it till it blows and then just put in a new one.....

·
Registered
962 Posts
sounds like someone stipped the threads and then installed a helicoil thread insert. Not sure what you can do besides replace it with anouther helicoil or get another head. sounds like either way it sux ass

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a way to take the adapter from the old plug and put it on the new one? Or will I have to figure out what the size/thread pitch is and buy a new one?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts