TTORA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To not hijack the 3.4 lifespan thread with my engine issue I started this thread realizing you folks may have some useful info to share. Any input is appreciated...

I have not taken it in to the dealer for diagnosis yet. No CEL is on, Very noticeable on cold startup and fades as engine temp increases. May take 10 minutes of driving or more for noise to subside to a level that cannot be heard from pass. compartment. Noise requires light loading of engine. Just idling or revving will not cause the noise unless revved quickly in which case once rpm is up high enough noise goes away. Putting in drive holding brake and rpm around 1500 will produce the noise. Increasing rpm/load noise goes away. Engine only needs to cool ~1hr to hear noise again. Thicker oil reduces but does not eliminate noise as does using a $10 filter instead of oem Toyota filter. With all accessory drive belts off, noise seems to emanate from lower engine up through valley, does not seem to be top end. It is a deeper knock not like valve train tapping noise. There are no modifications to the truck.

Despite this issue, the engine runs flawlessly. Smooth running, smooth idle, no misses, good power/economy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Must be an anomaly! Nobody ran into this one. Well, I changed the oil to 20w-50 and it does reduce the noise some so I'll run it like this until I have the $$ to swap a motor or rebuild I suppose.. what a bummer.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
mine made the same nboise at 80(almost 80) which it is alomst at now..
it was the water pump,power steerin pump, and whole rack and time belts and all
it was time to replace them..check into those..:2cents:
if you got a warrenty go to toyota
theya re fixing all of it for the low price of my deductable 100$ almost 3k of work :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
isn't the warranty 3yr/36? I don't have an extended, did'nt seem necessary buying toyota quality.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
i have the TLC 10yr/100,000 one :)
quality means nothign
everything breaks at some point

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True no argument there, but 50-60K is not standard nor is it a sign of quality from Toyota I'm used to. I do believe this to be extremely rare, just sucks to be the one left holding the bag.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
from what i hear if i remember correctly..water pumps and all are prone to going out at 80-100k but again i could be just hearing things in my head..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts