TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating which weight to put into the truck for the winter. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but wouldn't both 5w30 and 10w30 have the properties of a 30 weight oil in the winter? I have always run 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter...but now that I think about it they both have the same viscosity in cold temps, right?? So to this end, there's really no reason to use anything but the 10w30. I'm starting to confuse myself...any help you guys can offer would be appreciated.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i think the lower # is cold temp, so your 5w would be better than the 10w. i live in CA where its 75 in the winter, so im not 100% on that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think the first number is at start up and as the oil warms it thickens?

·
Registered
793 Posts
A 5w will be thinner at start up. Continue with the 5w during the winter and 10w during the summer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dadunc205x said:
i think the lower # is cold temp, so your 5w would be better than the 10w. i live in CA where its 75 in the winter, so im not 100% on that.
Gotcha, so I had it backwards. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
169 Posts
camaddy said:
I'm debating which weight to put into the truck for the winter. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but wouldn't both 5w30 and 10w30 have the properties of a 30 weight oil in the winter? I have always run 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter...but now that I think about it they both have the same viscosity in cold temps, right?? So to this end, there's really no reason to use anything but the 10w30. I'm starting to confuse myself...any help you guys can offer would be appreciated.
A synthetic 5w30 would be even better in the winter.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Switching to 5w30 mobil 1 from 10w30 here in ks winters helped my lifter tick go away.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
EVOM1 said:
I think the first number is at start up and as the oil warms it thickens?
The numbers make it confusing, but as the oil warms up it thins. It's just that it doesn't thin as much as a straight 5 (or 10) oil would. The numbers claim that it only thins to what a straight 30 oil would have thinned to.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
VolcomTacoma said:
I know some people run 0W-30 Amsoil or German Castrol. Is there adavatages or disadvantages to this this weight over regular 5-10W30?

Do you have big ass volcom sticker on your truck like everyone else on the central coast? :rofl:

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
i use the 5w30 synth year round in my V6.

·
Registered
30 Posts
re:

i've used mobil 1 10w30 for the 7th time on my truck, and it hasn't given me a bit of a problem. it's cali though so it doesn't ever get too bad over here.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
VolcomTacoma said:
I know some people run 0W-30 Amsoil or German Castrol. Is there adavatages or disadvantages to this this weight over regular 5-10W30?
When cold, the lower the number the thinner the oil is and the thinner it is the faster it will get to all the critical areas. This applies if it's 40 degree outside, or 90. So you can say it's always better to run the lowest possible, that still meats the engine specs (30 weight). So 0w will flow the fastest compared to 5w, 5w faster than 10w, etc.

Once you start getting below freezing the best oil to run is a FULL synth, as it will flow down to almost -50, while regual oil crystalizes and turns into thick goo until it warms up when you are below freezing, one of the reasons people need engine block heaters.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
fltacoma said:
I live down in Florida and have a 95 tacoma with 155K miles I run 20w 50.
:banghead:

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
fltacoma said:
I live down in Florida and have a 95 tacoma with 155K miles I run 20w 50.

:banghead:
HaHa! Although 155k is not a lot of miles, it does seem to show that it doesn't matter what kind of oil goes in there, just as long as you have something vaguely slimy.

And people end up arguing about different brands of the correct grade of engine oil! :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts