TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the board and have a question. I have a 97 reg cab taco. I want to lift it 6-8" with suspension. I don't want to have to weld anything, even though I can. Who makes a good kit to do this, I imagine the best kits are the most expensive. Should I go coilovers, springs and shackles, spindles, what?

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
If you want that, and the cheaper of the ways, get a 6" drop down bracket, and a 2" body lift. Otherwise you are solid axle swapping the front.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not from Hawaii.

Not crazy just want to go big I guess. So what is the biggest I can go without major mods? 3" just doesn't seem big enough. No body lifts, they look gay to me.

I guess mini taco, not prerunner. I like the whole idea of the prerunner with the soft ride long travel set up.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
arcboy said:
I am new to the board and have a question. I have a 97 reg cab taco. I want to lift it 6-8" with suspension. I don't want to have to weld anything, even though I can. Who makes a good kit to do this, I imagine the best kits are the most expensive. Should I go coilovers, springs and shackles, spindles, what?
not going to happen unless you go custom... and that is going to be $$, plus the rear diff/axles are weak... it'll be horrible on gas mileage.

SAS it! LOL

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wgasa84 said:
not going to happen unless you go custom... and that is going to be $$, plus the rear diff/axles are weak... it'll be horrible on gas mileage.

SAS it! LOL

So I have seen 5" kits available is this reasonable. I know I would have to change rear gears, but the axels are weak up to what?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
if you want a 2wd lifted that much, you are going to need to longtravel it....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jimbo74 said:
if you want a 2wd lifted that much, you are going to need to longtravel it....
Ok, so who sells the bestkits and where can I buy them? Longtravel or just some basic 5" lift.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
What is the ultimate purpose of this lift? You might want to consider different options since lifting a straight up 2wd like that has its difficulties and drawbacks.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
arcboy said:
So I have seen 5" kits available is this reasonable. I know I would have to change rear gears, but the axels are weak up to what?
Well in my book. 5" is not = to 6" so... it would need to be custom!

The 2wd trucks have a 7.5" ring gear and 27 spline axleshafts... compared to the 4wd have a 8" ring gear or a 8.4" ring gear and 30 spline axle shafts.
I don't know what the axles would be weak up to... depends how you drive it.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
DentedTacoma said:
lifting a straight up 2wd like that has its difficulties and drawbacks.
I bet it wouldn't be too hard to flop it over with a couple people! The 2wd trucks are LIGHT!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok so what is suggested to do for the highest lift possible not considering the axles? The purpose for the lift is light offroad to get to the jobsight and looks mainly.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I really hate to see those taquitos lifted really high...they are such great littletrucks that would last forever if left stock....my advice dont do it to pick up chicks, a big ol us truck is better for that:D
If you must lift that thing go with total chaos or a similar long travel fab company.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
21 Participants
4holmric
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing