TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys, just bought a 01 4x4 double cab tacoma and wanna jack it up with a 6" suspention lift. im looking at the fabtech and trailmaster mostley but theres also the tuff country 5" and the pro comp 4". mainly i wanna be able run a 35" tire and no more then 6" of lift. this is mainly a street driven truck. i know the trailmaster is setup alittle different then the rest it uses a 2nd shock up front, eliminating the top A-arm while the other kits replace the existing shock and reuse the stock spring. what are your guys thoughts on this? and ya know who has the best shocks and who makes the best kit for the money. and what about doing aftermarket coilover's with any of these kits?

thanks
rick

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well I have the trailmaster 6" kit and it rides good and I like the kit for a all around decent lift. But I have had mine for about 4 years. And the secondary strut design was stupid and it sucks in my opinion. It is hard to run a tire that is 36" tall and a 14.50 or wider. I had to use 1/4 spacers behind the rims on my truck and it was missingthe 2ndstrutbya1/8" or less. But I was running 35x14.50x15 baja belteds on 15x10 rims. With a backspacing around 3.75 to 3 5/8. I would buy the fabtech if I had to do it again. It all depends on what you want. I m running 8.5" of suspension lift and 3" of body lift. The T/M lift is easy to add on to for higher lift. Most of my stuff is custom made. If you get the T/M i can answer just about any question you have on it. I recently made a custom spacer to extend my 2nd strutfor more lift. Later.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've been running a 6" Trailmaster Lift on my 2001 D-Cab and I must say that I love it. It honestly has not given me one problem. I suspect that a lot of the 2nd strut issues are a result of pushing the lift to the limit. I don't think it was a lift designed for crawling on rocks and hard core stuff. More like street Queen shit and desert runner conditions. My truck is my daily driver and I wanted a nice lift that gave me looks and clearance for the minimal off-roading i do. Based on price and what you want to do, It sounds like the TM is right up your alley. I think it's about $500 or more cheaper than the 6" Fab Tech. If you have any questions about installing it on your D-Cab let me know. I've been there... still doing that!

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
MadMaxz said:
hey guys, just bought a 01 4x4 double cab tacoma and wanna jack it up with a 6" suspention lift. im looking at the fabtech and trailmaster mostley but theres also the tuff country 5" and the pro comp 4". mainly i wanna be able run a 35" tire and no more then 6" of lift. this is mainly a street driven truck. i know the trailmaster is setup alittle different then the rest it uses a 2nd shock up front, eliminating the top A-arm while the other kits replace the existing shock and reuse the stock spring. what are your guys thoughts on this? and ya know who has the best shocks and who makes the best kit for the money. and what about doing aftermarket coilover's with any of these kits?

thanks
rick
Fabtech rocks, here's your deal: http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13661&postcount=1
DJ used a TM spacer and put Kings on a FT6 and swears by it... post for his input.

·
Registered
662 Posts
MadMaxz said:

thanks
rick
I have the fabtech kit and I love it. There was a guy on here a while back who broke one of his stock spindles with the TM kit. There would be no way in hell that is happening with the spindles that fabtech provides. There have also been a lot of issues with the second strut, but I believe most, if not all, of them have been worked out. I would still reccommend the FT kit because it seems to be a lot stronger. The only way to run coilovers on the FT kit is to use the Trailmaster 6" spacer which can be picked up fairly cheap. I would say your best bet would be to buy the kit that Chris posted. It will save you a TON of money in the end.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks for the good replys fellas! Damn i wish i had $1300 right now i live in MD so id go pick the damn thing up from him! only got about $900 so far im in the process of parting out my 95 383 stroker Z28. anyway thanks again

oh btw i called 4wheelonline.com they quoted me $3100 shipped for a 6" fabtech kit, 15x8 M/t Classic's w/ 35"BFG mud terrains mounted and balanced is that a good price? you know if i cant get the Above kit in time.

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
MadMaxz said:
thanks for the good replys fellas! Damn i wish i had $1300 right now i live in MD so id go pick the damn thing up from him! only got about $900 so far im in the process of parting out my 95 383 stroker Z28. anyway thanks again

oh btw i called 4wheelonline.com they quoted me $3100 shipped for a 6" fabtech kit, 15x8 M/t Classic's w/ 35"BFG mud terrains mounted and balanced is that a good price? you know if i cant get the Above kit in time.
Contact lance in the link below.

http://forum.ttora-va.com/viewtopic.php?t=703

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and where did you get that roll bar setup? im also interested in the rear shock relocation / \.. where could i find a weld in cross bar for the relocation points

1 - 11 of 11 Posts