TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a cb at radio shack for $60. Seems like it was too much. What do you guys think? It was the cheapest one they had. I think i am going to go to tho local cb shop and see if i cant find a better deal, i have to pick up an antena and other stuff anyways.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
I just bought a cb at radio shack for $60. Seems like it was too much. What do you guys think? It was the cheapest one they had. I think i am going to go to tho local cb shop and see if i cant find a better deal, i have to pick up an antena and other stuff anyways.

I have a little Uniden Pro 520xl, don't remember paying more than $50 for the thing. Your best results are from tuning the antenna properly.

Amateur radio is where it's at! Too bad more people aren't involved.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
A $60 CB is going to give you $60 results! Especially a Rat Shack!:xbarf:

If your not trying to stuff it in a DIN location, I'd go with a ruff-n-tuff classic. The Cobra 29 LTD Classic, and don't skimp on your antenna system!
:2cents:

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have a little Uniden Pro 520xl, don't remember paying more than $50 for the thing. Your best results are from tuning the antenna properly.

Amateur radio is where it's at! Too bad more people aren't involved.

Later,
....Mike
got the same thing... works great

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was planning on getting a good antenna, from what i heard, it is more important than the actuall cb anyways. It just felt like i paid too much, i will probably take it back.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
i was planning on getting a good antenna, from what i heard, it is more important than the actuall cb anyways. It just felt like i paid too much, i will probably take it back.
POS. they told me the same thing. i bought it and it worked for a while then just quit. ive got another crappy one right now temporarily. i need to just find a cb shop and have them set me up with some nice equipment.

p.s i also bought the 5 dollars waranty and they tried to fuck me over on it. i ended up getting a gift card . lame

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
If you are near a major highway, find the nearest major truck stop, and go into the 'store'... they have great prices on the radio's, and some decent antenna's. Some of their stuff is too big for us, but the radio's are the best pricing... some of the truck stops are also where CB shops are as well. Can't wait to get my ham set up in the truck

-Mark

·
Registered
779 Posts
If you are near a major highway, find the nearest major truck stop, and go into the 'store'... they have great prices on the radio's, and some decent antenna's. Some of their stuff is too big for us, but the radio's are the best pricing... some of the truck stops are also where CB shops are as well. Can't wait to get my ham set up in the truck

-Mark
what setup you running? i think we will be bringin up the mobile HAM in tofer's rig
((going to BR still?))

what freq you want to run on??? let us know

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
My ham is a Kenwood TM-700D... lot's of little toys inside that box!

If'n everything gets wired (ham is on the optional list)... I'll monitor 146.52 on one side, and the APRS frequency 144.39 (100cts) on the other.

Still up in the air overall on this trip... 7 hour ride one way... new rig-not scared about trail scars, just a long ways on unproven combination of parts

·
Registered
5,467 Posts

You can get that thing brand new for $55 SHIPPED on eBay.

So far (with my Wilson 1000 antenna), it's out powered nearly every CB that I've talked to on the trails.

It's also got an RF gain adjustment for turning down the range of signal that it picks up. Since we travel so closely on the trails, I turn it all the way down and never have a problem with interference.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I got the above Cobra at Wal-Mart for about $40-$45, I think, just about two months ago so it might be worth checking into. I just put it in my trail rig with a cheap 3 foot antenna. But, it seems to work just fine for what I use it for.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
yeah the radioshack cbs are crap. Your gonna get a similar one from a cb store but for 10 bucks cheaper. if you want cheap thats cheap. but that 55 dollar one shipped sounds like a deal.

·
Registered
597 Posts
You are thinking correctly here, more important is the antanae, grounding, and tuning. Every experience I have had with CB's it always came down to the proper antanae, installation and tuning after that it really didn't matter much at all what CB you use with the right setup.

POS. they told me the same thing. i bought it and it worked for a while then just quit. ive got another crappy one right now temporarily. i need to just find a cb shop and have them set me up with some nice equipment.
But the CB does actually have to function for what I've experienced to be true. :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
would you go with a firestick or wilson1000?? (with proper grounding plate) ??

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
It's kind of a personal preference. A lot of folks like the style of the firestick. If you are looking to get the best range, I would go with the Wilson 1000.

·
Registered
779 Posts
i will buy one at the truck stop instead of online... none around here but should be somewhere between here and Barney Riley this friday... I am goin to need to make a mounting plate for it as well or slap it on top of my truck with a magnet (right now just 4' whip attached to lip of bed, really shitty area) just my truck will be verrry tall with the whip on top... hmmm any other good grounding areas?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I've got the Little Wil (very similar to the 1000). It's a magnet mount so it just mounts right on the roof. I've found the best position is for it to be right in the center of the roof.

·
Registered
779 Posts
that's it... i am going to get a better ant. friday.. I just didnt want my truck to be 11' tall with the whip but oh well...

thanks for the help interex.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Is it a bad idea to mount your antenna to the bumper?? I just popped the plastic off the rear bumper and use a magnetic mount with a wilson 6ft anteanna.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have the same Cobra and its o.k. The problems I have had are with the ant. (Fire stick) Aparently, they dont like metal in the vicinity, so I had to get one a foot taller to clear my rack. Still can't get it crystal clear, but its good enough for my application. The shorter one is in the pic (kinda hard to see, its on the right and yeah, yeah, I know you dont like the rims lol!)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts