TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am beginning to gather the parts to swap my 05 and I have a few questions. The weight of the 05 double cab is just a little more than the pre 05 double cabs from what I gather. I need some expert opinions as to which axle would be better in the long run for this application. I know most would say do the 60 and forget about it. Question is would a 44 built right handle the duty as a daily driver/ truck capable of running most trails. I would like to build this truck with a max 37" tire size and keep the rear axle. What suggestions do you who are more experienced have on the two. Would you go 44 or 60. The plan is to have a rig that I can drive everyday but still take to the Rubicon and other places without completely destroying the axle each time out. I know there are quite a few here that have D44's under double cabs and it works for them but would you do it different? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Go 60 and be able to run your truck with 37's and have no fear of breaking The 05 double cab is a good bit of weight with that powerful 4.0 i dont think a 44 will hold up to much hard wheeling.

If/when i SAS my 05 reg cab 4cyl (alot lighter of a rig) i will be going to either a Dynatrac 60 or a diamond axle with 30spline longs and the other yota axle crap.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Im runnin an HP 44 in a heavily weighed down 97 4runner and I give it absolute hell. It is a fully built 44 but still if the budget isn't enough for a 60 I see no problem running a built 44. I love it, but if I had the money Id go with 60s front and rear.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Just got 60 front and 70 rear and be done with it. Shave the housings to gain some decent clearance and bam.

As was said before, it depends on your budget. If can swing it, go 60, but then you'll be busting your rear more often than front.

·
Registered
315 Posts
AK98Taco said:
Upgrading the rear axle to a 9-inch or 60 would not be bad.
Why? The are guys with F-toys that are running 40's on stock toyota rears (thats with dual t-cases and a say 300:1 crawl ratio)

Stock rear (maybe upgrade shafts) anything else is just a waste of cash unless your going 39's or bigger...... IMO :D

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Toymachine said:
Why? The are guys with F-toys that are running 40's on stock toyota rears (thats with dual t-cases and a say 300:1 crawl ratio)

Stock rear (maybe upgrade shafts) anything else is just a waste of cash unless your going 39's or bigger...... IMO :D
How does that even compare? F-Toys aren't full-bodied vehicles with interiors, tool boxes, etc. They are light weight.

There are some on here that have destroyed stock rears with 35s. 01Tundra on this forum went to a 60 rear to compliment his 44 front after breaking too much stuff with his 37s.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Mikey05 said:
So I am beginning to gather the parts to swap my 05 and I have a few questions. The weight of the 05 double cab is just a little more than the pre 05 double cabs from what I gather. I need some expert opinions as to which axle would be better in the long run for this application. I know most would say do the 60 and forget about it. Question is would a 44 built right handle the duty as a daily driver/ truck capable of running most trails. I would like to build this truck with a max 37" tire size and keep the rear axle. What suggestions do you who are more experienced have on the two. Would you go 44 or 60. The plan is to have a rig that I can drive everyday but still take to the Rubicon and other places without completely destroying the axle each time out. I know there are quite a few here that have D44's under double cabs and it works for them but would you do it different? Any help is appreciated.
Go with 60's front and rear. I did and love them :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
60's front and rear is way too much cash right now considering everything else needed. I actually think 35's is where I will want to stay tire wise but there was a time I thought 37's which is why I said max 37. I guess building a 60 for the front is the consensus so far?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
If you have the money you should do a 60, but a built 44 will work pretty damn well. And 70s for the rear are nice but very very hard to get parts for.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is one thing I am concerned about. I want an axle that I can readily find parts for that will not break the bank every time it needs a repair. I would hope that nothing breaks but it is pretty inevitable so spare parts that are reasonable is a definite necessity.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
With a front 60, especially with aftermarket shafts, you wont have to worry about repairing much, except for the occasional ujoint. Go with some CTM's, and all you'll ever have to do with 37's is change the gear oil and lube it up.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I have said it once and I will say it again many more times.. Standard 60s are rock anchors with anything less than 38s. Keep the clearance and go 44/60 Hybrid(01 Tundra has this setup) or 609 axle.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
One thing I see missing from this entire thread. If you put the money into a built 44, you could spend approximately the same amount and buy a 60 which would be stronger thus less expensive in the long run on repairs.

With all that said, I love my dana 44 with 37" on my '97. But I also don't have the same terrian you do out in Cali. I can get away a little easier.(although the second run I made on the axle claimed my front pinion.)

I say go with a 60, with an understanding that as Klye stated, running less than 38's is going to cause some hang ups from the pumpkin.

·
Registered
739 Posts
60's or a diamond, or the new spider trax set up is only 399 for the housing, and thats cheap, if i had it to do again,i would have had a 60 or something else now that i'm on my 2nd 44 and have way more $ into this than a pro rock 60,do it right the first time, and forget about it, it's worth the $ up front instead of pay later when you break it,cause you will if you actually start wheeling what the rig will be capable of, other wise keep what you got, and save the $ and headaches,i've been working on my rig for 4 yrs straight since the sas, and not done yet, never will be, it's lots of time and effort to keep a rig up to par for daily driving and doing hard trails where things get broke and bent,this hobby aint cheap

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Where do you live and what type of trails will you wheel? If you plan on floggin the shit out of it go 60's, if not...
Do you use the skinney pedal alot or are you tame with it?
Your driving style will have a lot to do on your choice.
If you are mild a fully built 44 should be fine.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Tedd(TMS2U) - is running an HP 44 with 37's and has put his rig(tundra) through some hell with no major issues.

01Tundra is going with D44 center and D60 outers on his front end. The D44 internals will be using 35 spline shafts and running 37's. Here's some specs he posted on the TS board:

Rockcrusher D-44 center housing
3-1/8" OD x 1/2" wall DOM axle tubes
ARB RD-109 1-1/2" x 35-spline air locker
AlloyUSA D-60 1-1/2" x 35-spline 4340 chromoly inner and outer axle shafts
CTM D-60 axle joints
Dedenbear forged 3" inner C's
Dedenbear D-60 king pin knuckles
Parts Mike D-60 5-bolt high steer arms with ARP studs
Custom D-60 hub/rotor assemblies with ARP 14mm wheel studs (6 on 5.5)
Stainless Steel Brake Corp slotted rotors and pads
Parts Mike D-60 spindles, wheel bearings, king pin bearing kits, etc.
Parts Mike custom backing plates
Tera Low D-60 locking hubs
Yukon 4.88 R&P

1 - 20 of 58 Posts