TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just need some opinions on my rear u-joint. I am supposed to drive 300 miles today and then 300 miles back on sunday for a weekend away. My rear u-joint has got a little play in it (5 degrees?) and I am wondering what the probability of it blowing up with that much consecutive driving is. I have just driven it around town so I havent worried about it. I have the replacement u-joint but have not had time to put it in. I am going to see if I can borrow a roommates car for the weekend but dont know how that will work out. If worse comes to worse is it a horrible idea to drive it that far with the bad u-joint? I know that if it goes I could have some damage down there but dont know if that takes trail carnage to damage it enough to disconnect and flop around underneath. Any opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
102 Posts
change it change it change it!!!!!!!!!!!!
why risk damaging your truck, yes u-joints are a pain in the @ss but if it goes while your driving, anything can happen. hole in fuel tank, rear end, etc etc etc.
if it was me i would change it asap, stay up late and fix it. youcould be doing it right now also verse being on the computer.
good luck-
-jon

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fully intend on changing it and am ready to but I havent had the time. I cant really stay up late and fix it because I am supposed to leave right when I get out of work. I am definitely going to try and get my roommates car. So that is a no go on a loose u-joint? I didnt know how far gone until they would fail.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that I am going to be able to borrow one of my roommates cars. Maybe I will take a picture of the bad u-joint when I replace it next week. You can all tell me how much of an idiot I am for driving on it till it got so bad or tell me it was nothing big. I guess it will at least give an example of a bad u-joint and give this thread some amount of value to others.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I just need some opinions on my rear u-joint. I am supposed to drive 300 miles today and then 300 miles back on sunday for a weekend away. My rear u-joint has got a little play in it (5 degrees?) and I am wondering what the probability of it blowing up with that much consecutive driving is. I have just driven it around town so I havent worried about it. I have the replacement u-joint but have not had time to put it in. I am going to see if I can borrow a roommates car for the weekend but dont know how that will work out. If worse comes to worse is it a horrible idea to drive it that far with the bad u-joint? I know that if it goes I could have some damage down there but dont know if that takes trail carnage to damage it enough to disconnect and flop around underneath. Any opinions are appreciated.
get off your ass and change it. Or take it somewhere to get it changed. You don't want it blowing up. That will slow you down longer than if you would have changed the u-joint in the first place.. that is if your drive shaft survives.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
get off your ass and change it. Or take it somewhere to get it changed. You don't want it blowing up. That will slow you down longer than if you would have changed the u-joint in the first place.. that is if your drive shaft survives.
Oh that would be a costly mistake...

OP... change it or don't drive it... Be smart...

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I drove on my bad u-joint for about a month (2,500 miles). You can try driving on it and you'll probably make it but why risk breaking down in BFN? As everyone else has stated, just change it out before you go.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
You can fix a u-jount now or a new truck 5 minutes from now when you try and pull into traffic, the drive shaft falls off and your broadsided my a semi?

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
If you need the truck, pull the rear drive shaft and drive in 4WD

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As now everyone thinks I am an idiot, here is a little update. I understand that driving with a bad u-joint is bad, thus my buying a new u-joint and trying to find time to put it in. I appreciate the reinforcement that yes it is a bad idea to drive it 600 miles, that is why I asked about the possiblity as a last resort had I not been able to use my roommates vehicle. So the truck is sitting for the weekend and I am using my roommates car, then next week I will find time to get to the baja shop so that I can do the job properly.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I am going to pull the rear driveshaft today and hope to get it all swaped out for tomorrow. Worst case just put it in 4 wheel. As far as putting it back in, I know to keep the correct alignment and put it back together exactly as I took it apart to keep balance but what about torque specs or thread lock. I was planning on just tightening it real good (I dont have a torque wrench) and having some red loctite on it. Should I take any pictures for future notice? Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure if anyone would be able to answer quickly but I have the rear u-joint apart and I am abou tto put it back together. The old u-joint had a grease fitting and the new one does not, is this an issue, should I only replace it with a greaseable u-joint, they are the same other than that. Help?

·
Registered
102 Posts
its not that big of an issue, just make sure you put extra grease in the cups, and you do not bend/move any of the needles.
this will make the u-joint deosnt wear faster, now keep an eye on this u-joint if it doesnt have enough grease it will wear out faster and you cant grease it agian. so next time make sure you get a greasable u-joint and also spend a litttle more money and buy a quality u-joint. dont waste money on the autozone crap, they might be warrented sometimes but you'll be changing them every two months

my :2cents:
hope it helps ya out

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have a sealed one in mine now....I put it in about 50K ago and haven't had any problems..(my truck has been through some shyt too)...I would prefeer a greaseable one, but whatever works.
I'd slap it in. You'll be fine.
Trevor

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well for anyone wondering, with a breaker bar, a hammer, a screwdriver, a hard surface, a large socket, and vise grips you CAN change your own u-joint in your basement. I hope the u-joint works out because it is on the truck now, rode real smooth on the test drive. I hope it lasts but it wasnt too bad, that old u-joint was totally fucked but now it will make a nice paperweight. I was going to take pictures of the adventure but come to find out my camera wont turn on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts