TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a winch for my Xcab V6 Taco 4x4 and I was wondering if you all thought 6000lbs would be enough. I looked on the Warn website and they recommended 25% more then your vehicles GVW. Now I know the GVW on my truck is 5,100 lbs, but I NEVER have that much stuff in it. With me, a BIG buddy, and all my gear, it will weigh about 4,500 lbs. I did the math and it was like 5,600 lbs with 25% more... so 6,000 should be enough right? Anyone had any experience with a 6,000lb winch? Also I am seriously considering the Mile Marker PE6000... anyone have any comments on it? THANKS!!!

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
No! get at minium an 8000K winch. If you can afford it a 12K model. Remember when you get a winch you also become everyones best friend!

Be careful when pulling full size vehicles. it is easy to bend frames if you are not directly lined up on the pull!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Sometimes the amount of energy required to get "unstuck" is more than the vehicle weighs, this is especially true in mud up to the frame, hung up on rocks, down steep embankments add the two togather and you can really add up the amount of energy required to get unstuck.

Also, the first wrap is the only wrap that will pull the amount the winch is rated for, each additional wrap reduces the pull by increasing the gear ratio.

A 10,500 pound unit will pull 10,500 on the first layer, 8500 on the second, 7400 lbs on the 3rd and by the 4th layer it will only pull about 6400lbs.

Anyways, things to think about when purchasing a winch.

Wally

·
Registered
414 Posts
I understand what you are saying, but it doesn't make sense. If you wrap a garden hose around a bicycle tire, the size of the sprokets does not change. Why would the gear ratio change as the cable builds up? Can you explain more please?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, just because I might want to pull someone else out... I am going with a 8,000lb... now should I go with Mile Marker, T-Maxx, or Warn. The Mile Marker I can get for $329... by far the cheapest. I have researched it and they seem to last but are just simply slow. Reliable and slow does not bother me though. Then the T-Maxx has better specifications and out performs the Warn for a cheaper price, basically I could get syn. line for free. Then there is the good ol' warn... but EXPENSIVE!!! What to do... what to do...

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
If you put bigger tires on your truck, without changing the gear ratio, what happens? Your engine now has less leverage to put on foreward motion.

The same thing happens on a larger scale with a winch. The first layer if you will is one tire size, the next layer is a size up in tires, and each additional layer is like adding another size tire.

Only instead of moving up 3-5% at a time, its a 10% sized gear change.

The winch motor, like the motor in your truck has a finite amount of power. Your truck may have 190 horse, and the winch may have 4-5.5 horsepower.

Thus with each gear change, the motor puts less and less leverage on the winch drum, which then reduces the line pull with each layer added.

I don't know if I have made more sense or less? :confused:

Wally

·
Registered
414 Posts
No, that was a good analogy and cleared it up just fine. I don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
stu
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing