TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in need of a 60,000 mile service for my 2001 TRD V6 4x4 (since I just hit 62,000 last week) but I had a few questions first. I’d have my regular mechanic do it but he’s been playing musical locations the past few months so I contacted a couple of local dealers.

The first dealer I called quoted me a price of $323 + tax and added that I needed a new fuel filter and a fuel injector cleaning. The fuel filter would add about $124 to the price and the fuel injector cleaning would add $99.

The second dealer I called quoted me a price of $319 + tax and left it at that so I asked if I needed anything else. The guy I spoke with said that I might need a fuel filter. I asked about a fuel injector cleaning and he said they’d inspect them and if the cleaning was needed they’d let me know. They quoted me a price of $129 for a fuel filter and $99 for the fuel injector cleaning.

Anyway… are the fuel filter and fuel injection cleaning needed at 60k miles? It seems to me that they probably are not necessary yet so I figured I’d ask you guys. I can see maybe replacing the fuel filter at this point but I thought those were good for 100k miles or so.

Thanks,
Todd

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
I am in need of a 60,000 mile service for my 2001 TRD V6 4x4 (since I just hit 62,000 last week) but I had a few questions first. I’d have my regular mechanic do it but he’s been playing musical locations the past few months so I contacted a couple of local dealers.

The first dealer I called quoted me a price of $323 + tax and added that I needed a new fuel filter and a fuel injector cleaning. The fuel filter would add about $124 to the price and the fuel injector cleaning would add $99.
I usually do the work myself, but I needed to get the radiator flushed which i neglected to do at the 30k service and my front wheel bearings were due for repacking.

If I were you I'd pay to have all the fluids drained and refilled including the front and rear diffs, tranny, and xfer case. I'd pay for the wheel bearings to be repacked and the radiator flushed. The wheel bearings aren't cheap b/c a "press" is required. The cheapest quote Ive gotten so far is $75 per side.

Anyway… are the fuel filter and fuel injection cleaning needed at 60k miles? It seems to me that they probably are not necessary yet so I figured I’d ask you guys. I can see maybe replacing the fuel filter at this point but I thought those were good for 100k miles or so.
That said I'd do the fuel filter myself as the quote they gave you was ridiculous. And If the truck in your avatar is yours, it should be fairly easy to access the filter. Its along the driver side frame i believe. (Unlike my 2000 2.7l which the filter is located under the intake manifold) PITA but still cheaper to do myself.

PS fuel filter is supposed to be changed every 30K.

As for the fuel injector cleaning I dont think it's necessary. Just dump a bottle of STP or your favorite brand of injector cleaner in with your next fill-up at the gas station.

My local mechanic (been using him for years) charged me $258 total for drain and refill of both diffs both the tranny and the xfer case and flushing and refilling the radiator, also lubing all the zerks on both my drive shafts, plus all the fluids used and the labor. I didnt get the wheel bearings done yet b/c he didnt realize he needed to use a press and it was goin to be more labor than he quoted me so he wanted to get my ok before going through w/ it. So it was $258 total for everything but the bearings. My fuel filter is due to be changed again which I will be doing myself. I think a fuel filter cost me $28 last time and my own labor of course.

Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
kd6ecz said:

The second dealer I called quoted me a price of $319 + tax and left it at that so I asked if I needed anything else. The guy I spoke with said that I might need a fuel filter. I asked about a fuel injector cleaning and he said they’d inspect them and if the cleaning was needed they’d let me know. They quoted me a price of $129 for a fuel filter and $99 for the fuel injector cleaning.

Thanks,
Todd
Dude that price for the fuel filter is insane. I just did mine this weekend. And if you want to save yourself an extra $15, get the Napa Gold fuel filter instead of the Toyota one. If your truck is like mine ('03 V6), you'll need a 19mm and a 14mm open-ended wrench and a new filter. Total cost $18. The old filter is located just under the driver's side door on the inside of the frame rail. Unbolt both sides and remove the old filter. The inlet and outlet lines are rigid, so you'll have to jiggle and even yank the old filter out of position. After that, just bolt up the new one the same way the old one came out. Be prepared to spill about 2 cups of gas, that's the biggest headache of the whole job.

As far as the fuel injectors, just run a bottle of injector cleaner through the gas tank like the other guy said. Have the dealer do the rest of the items and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys. I figured the dealer was smoking crack when they quoted $120+ to change the fuel filter. I crawled under my truck this morning and saw the filter sitting right there just as plain as day. I think I'll have the dealer service the truck and replace the filter myself. I hear it's about $37 for the part.

I hope this next part about my longtime trusted shop doesn't bore you:

I have been going to the same shop to have my trucks worked on since I was 16 (waaaaaaaay back in 1986). The guy that started the place was a mechanic at Crown Toyota and was sick of the dealer ripping people off. He beat it into my skull that I should only use Toyota parts on my Toyotas (as far as filters and brake pads go anyway) so I've been doing that for years now. Anyway, he unfortunately passed away back in 2001 at the somewhat young age of 57. He left the place to his main mechanic and helper who has slowly moved away from the original owner's business practices. First it was using generic oil filters, then it was no name brand brake pads, and now he has two guys working for him that seem to know little about Toyotas specifically. On top of that, the place has moved twice since November (after being in the same building for over 20 years). I trust the current owner as a mechanic but he is rarely there lately. I hear they are looking to move to a more permanent location in the coming months so I'm sure I'll go back again but right now I'm a bit hesitant.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
Id be hesitant too with all that moving until they settled back down. Moving always causes some level of disorganization and personally Id prefer them to have all their ducks in a row before working on my truck.

As for non-Toyota parts, Ive got a K&N air filter and use nothing but FRAM for the oil changes. Im not saying FRAM is best, but its cheap and it gets the job done. No more a filter than I need. All my family has ever used is FRAM on all vehicles and never had a problem.

Brake pads, Ive always stuck w/ Rebestos (sp.?) Work fine. Once again why pay for perfomance pads if the cheapos get the job done? Im saying no Toyota needs enough stopping power for an 18-wheeler. Dont waste money where its not necessary.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am a fireman for a city in texas and am resposible for driving an Engine. Last year I noticed our diesel truck exhaust was starting to really stink and burn our eyes when we were down wind and on scene. The mechanic came out and dumped in Techron in the fuel tank and it cleared up our problem. He said fuel injection systems are basicially the same with a microscreen used as the atomizer for the injector. I have seen the same Techron at Pep-Boys.
Last time I was at a repair shop getting my tires balanced, I heard the ticket writer selling a "fuel injector cleaning" for $100 to someone and it sound like a rip-off to me. He said they flush the system with a "special" chemical. This same person was getting the recomended maintance done also.
I hope this story helps. I do know the Techron fixed our problem. I agree that you should change your own filter. Just make sure the wrench you use on the fittings is a good one ie. Craftsman, Proto.... A cheap wrench will mess up the soft fittings unless it fits just right. Good Luck

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
texascoma said:
Just make sure the wrench you use on the fittings is a good one ie. Craftsman, Proto.... A cheap wrench will mess up the soft fittings unless it fits just right. Good Luck
flare wrenches provide more surface area contact for hard line fittings.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
texascoma said:
I do know the Techron fixed our problem.
Is Techron a fuel injector or fuel system cleaner brand name? I've heard the term used in relation to Chevron gas but never for anything else. I guess I could try a Google search...

I bought a bottle of Valvoline fuel injector cleaner yesterday so I'll dump that in the tank the next time I fill up. Other than slightly worse mileage than what I was getting before, my truck is still running great at this point.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is the same stuff that the gas company uses. It is a fuel system cleaner/ additive type chemical. At the Pep-boys here they sell two sizes depending on the size of your fuel tank. My understanding is you use it only if there is a problem like your engine isn't idleing smoothly. I personally use it every 25k or so as maintanence. I'm sure the Valvoline is close to the same stuff, I just know from experience Techron works.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You can do all of it yourself for a whole lot less and still have enough left over to fill your gas tank at todays prices,Lol.
All thre prices quoted to you are unreal. It's easy to change all your fluids and to flush your own radiator. It just takes a little time but it can all be done on a long Sat afternoon. The gas filter is not hard either but watch the spraying gas from the preasure and make sure no one is smoking around you ;0) Mike

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Mike-in-WV said:
You can do all of it yourself for a whole lot less and still have enough left over to fill your gas tank at todays prices,Lol.
All thre prices quoted to you are unreal. It's easy to change all your fluids and to flush your own radiator. It just takes a little time but it can all be done on a long Sat afternoon. The gas filter is not hard either but watch the spraying gas from the preasure and make sure no one is smoking around you ;0) Mike

Thats a big 10-4. DIY save a bunch and know it's done right. Then you don't have to worry about droping your truck off ect. (might save time).....
Trevor

·
Registered
552 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention to you...The 2001 Taco and newer "do not" require that the fuel filter or transmission filter be replaced but it can't hurt to do it anyway. If you want to replace the tranny filter you can buy a kit from Napa for about $35.00 that includes the pump and gaskets. The book say's that you will need 2 quorts of fluid but it must be a type O because it takes 4. ;0)

·
Registered
207 Posts
the 2001 and newer don't have to have their fuel filters changed?? is that right?? that blows. yalls are easily reachable, but ours require a lot of patience and time. Ours are under our intake manifold. that sucks.

·
Registered
552 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just change my fuel filter on my 95.5 4cyl. What a pain in the a** why they put it under the intake is beyond me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does anyone have the listing of what needs to be done? I got the 30,000 mile service from the New England Chapter I think. Anyhelp, maybe a excel spreadsheet or something?

Thanks

Dan

[email protected]

·
Registered
552 Posts
Dan, Go to the site I have listed a link to above this. It will tell you everything you have to do and show you how to do it with pictures and what's needed. Mike

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just had my truck serviced at Claremont Toyota last Friday. Overall the experience was pretty good. My only complaints are about the price I paid and the really weird noise my truck was making late that same evening.

When I got there early Friday morning I was told it was going to cost $359! I told the guy that he quoted me $319 on the phone but he said something about not knowing I had a 4x4. Right... I know that I told him I had a 2001 4x4. I told him to go ahead and do the service anyway since I really don't have time to monkey around with mechanics right now. When they were done they tried selling me a $99 fuel injector cleaning but I said I'd hold off. I asked about the fuel filter again and was told it would be $129 to replace and that I should proabably do that as well. I decided not to have them do it and ended up buying a new one from the parts department just before I cashed out. I'll probably replace that sometime during the next couple of weekends.

Late that night (actually it was early the next morning) I started my truck up and heard a really strange sound. It sounded like the fan was hitting something or maybe belts were slipping. The sound fluctuated with engine RPM and disappeared after a few minutes. The next day I popped the hood and looked for anything that may have caused the sound and didn't see anything. I started the truck up and let it run for a good 5 minutes or so and still didn't hear or see anything out of the ordinary. As of today, the sound has not returned so hopefully all is well.

Except for those two issues, I had a somewhat positive experience at Claremont Toyota. This was quite refreshing considering I've had horrible experiences with both Crown Toyota and Glendora Toyota.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Gad said:
the 2001 and newer don't have to have their fuel filters changed?? is that right?? that blows. yalls are easily reachable, but ours require a lot of patience and time. Ours are under our intake manifold. that sucks.
Has anyone thought to move the fuel filter to a better location, to make it easier to service in the future??? I did this on my ranger, because it was a first year injection model, and the bugaboo was the filter choked every 12,000 witout fail. I finally installed a fuel filter that was for a diesel of the same year... one of the motorcraft off road mechanics told me about this trick. No more filter issues for 100,000. But, it was a Ford, and half those miles was my friends and I pushing it...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts