TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 63 series cold air intake for my 2005 Toyota Tacoma. I can really feel the difference when I step on the gas. :eek: However, at high speeds, 60 or so, I get backfire and popping in the engine compartment. I checked all the hoses and clamps and everything is tight. I went over the instructions several times making sure I did not forget any steps. I installed it just like the instructions indicated. Called K&N and they said it takes 100 to 150 miles before the computer adjusts to the high flow of air. I wanted to see if anyone has experienced problem. :confused:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Ive never heard of any backfires or pops. But I know it takes time to reset ur ecu. Just unhook the battery to reset it faster.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I had the same problem.. Its called. BUY AN AFE.. lol anyways.. You have to clean your MAF is why this is happening.. K&N puts way to much oil on and it just put too much oil on your MAF.. what you do is go down and get some cleaner.. Spray on.. Let air dry for a little then put it back in. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH THE ELEMENT OF THE MAF!!! Anyways.. hope this helps, I would return it, and get the AFE, but that is just me!

BTW.. Your engine isnt backfiring, its sputtering since the MAF is dirty.. Also K&N isnt a CAI.. just my :2 cents:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just about stripped the screws putting the MAF sensor on the K&N. Not looking forward to removing it again. I’m guessing the spray cleaner your suggesting is our local auto parts store carburetor cleaner. What do you mean K&N isnt a CAI?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
yeup carb cleaner will work.. Just make sure you dry it out 100%. The K&N isnt a CAI, Cause it doesnt do cold air.. It just takes the air from your engine compartment which is usually about 20 degrees hotter than the outside. Most CAI, utilize the open port from your fender to suck the "cold air" in. Thus this is not a cold air intake. WHen I had my K&N, ( nothing but problems btw ) the air temp going into my engine was about 30 degrees hotter than the outside temp. This was measured by my Scan tool that I have permenantly installed. Do a search, I have written a whole thing on my new AFE intake.. anyways.. To solve your problem, your gonna have to probably buy new screws, ( I did ) and use carb cleaner to clean your MAF.. Heck while your there, you should clean your throttle body, but thats up to you..

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Idiot!!! It's not a carburetor, it's an electrical device. Carb cleaner will attack some plastics and adhesives and may leave a residue behind.

Use an electronics grade cleaner that is formulated to leave no residue and is safe for use on plastics and adhesives that are commonly used to make electronic components like switches, relays and pots.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
It's not a short term question of getting the oil off of the sensor wires, it's a question of the service life of the MAF over the long term. Carb cleaner is formulated to dissolve varnish and other deposits typically found in carberators.

Use the right tool for the job. It's just like using a hammer to drive nails and a screw driver to turn screws.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So AFE intake uses cold air? SWEET! I had a z28 several years back that a friend custom made the duct work for the cold air and I loved it. It’s a day and night mod that gives one much better throttle response at any speed. I am going to attempt to find Mando who works with plastic fabrication and have him engineer something for me. Just wondering if maybe AFE already has the ductwork so I would not have to reinvent the wheel. How does AFE get the cold air in the compartment? Gents thanks for your input. I'll stop by radioshack afterschool and pickup some electronics cleaner.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just finished reading it. I only wish I had read it last week before I ordered the K&N. I should have done my homework. Oh well, we live and learn. Thanks ryguy!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
well one thing I can tell you..If its is less than 30 days, you usually can return it.. Just clean it up a bit. Even if you take a little hit on the money end, its well worth it. Hope this helps, sorry to hear about your troubles.

One thing to also add. K&N will not pass smog visual.. The AFE will since it is in a box.. ONly unless the smog guy wants to be a real ass and not approve you. This will become significant in about 4-5 years when you need to smog your car. Mise will try to return if you can.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Shoulda done your homework and got a Volant which is 20 times nicer and is a true CAI for the same price. If your backfiring through the filter something is screwed up. I'd take it off there immediately and put your stocker back on.

·
Registered
120 Posts
if ur stuck with the K & N .. you can unplug ur batterie to give ur MAF and computer a jump start to adjust

·
Registered
53 Posts
Should of went with AFE and did your homework before you bought. If your worried about your MAF sensor we offer a "PRO-Dry'S" No-Oil version of our 05-07 Tacoma kit. Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

·
Registered
419 Posts
i had a K&N problem also...it screwed up my MAF sensor because some of the oil from filter got caught into it...but LUCKLY i took it to the stealership and got it replaced under warranty.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts