TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for some to run off my stock deck in the 05 taco but found none. What if I got some good 3 ways and just left the stock tweeter disconected or even left it hooked up? Or should I just go and make a spacer and get like 6.5" components?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I know that I have always trusted Alpine for all of my stereo needs. They have a Type-S component setup that is made to run off deck power. That's what I'm buying for my truck here in the next couple days. I'm also buying an Alpine deck and rear speaker at the same time, but your stock deck should be fine with those. Go someplace and ask them, but they are gonna try to steer you towards the Type-R's which you would need an amp at that point.

Just my advice. It's what I'm doing. Alpine all the way!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too looked into replacing my stock 6"x9" front door speakers in my '05 but saw how big the built in spacer support surrounding the driver was. Since the bass is not bad from the stock head unit driving through the 6"x9", I'm going to leave them alone for now and replace the paper cone tweeters with some higher end ones from Crutchfield. The highs are really lacking from the stock setup. Once Crutchfield has the mounting adapters for the 6"x9"'s, I'll replace them then.

·
Registered
81 Posts
MB Quart makes a 6x9 component that should performe well with you stock head units as far as waiting for a spacer you will have to wait atleast a year.
Metra and other kit manufactures will not make them until there is a demand for them or its a part that can be used with other cars. for best results make a spacer out of MDF with a jig saw it is harder then ABS plastic so it vibrates less and gives better sound. hope this helps

·
Registered
367 Posts
I an somewhat of an audio noob. I too have an 05 Tacoma. I have a 4-channel amp from my old truck I'm having installed. I plan to keep the factory stereo because I like the 6-disc changer. Since I WILL have an amp, can I replace the front with regular 6x9s and just upgrade the tweeter? I will probably be adding a BassLink or something similiar as well, just to add a slight more bass without giving up much space. That shouldn't effect my options correct?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts