TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i had done some searching around and seen where larger speakers had been installed in the rear of ext cab tacomas. well I took out the carpet to give it a good cleaning and do some other stuff, i decided to look into putting in larger speakers. I happened to have a set of 6x9's i had got from walmart a while back on clearance. I removed all interior plastic and found the mounting piece to have plenty of extra room.

so I removed the speaker from the panel and traced out the 6x9 outline and bolt pattern.

Cut out the hole with a jig saw (fast and easy, not exactly pretty, but who cares, its hid)

Then to keep it simple, removed plug and wires from stock speaker then installed slide on connectors

Mounted the speaker on the plate, ran wires through existing hole.

installed back on wall, plugged back in

replaced interior trim

then cranked up some skynyrd :xrocker:

whole process took about 25 minutes for both sides. I dont know much about radios and all the lingo, i just know it sounds at least 10x better and i am extremely happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Congrads! Always Better then the stock crap!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
sweet! i had seen some like that, but wasn't sure how it was done. (and was too lazy to figure it out) Crank that Skynard

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
6x9's and "better" sound are urban legends.

The best sound comes out of a perfectly round speaker.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm planning on doing the same thing, but how did you remove the rear interior panels?
carefully pulling back on the plastic, using a small flat and thin piece of metal to help persuade the plastic "snaps" to pop out.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

im not doubting you one bit, but dang, anything has to be better than stock. :eek: heck when i got 6x9 sittin around and its a decent/ok speaker (i know jensen aint nothing to brag about) vs them stock paper/cardboard ones... id opt for the 6x9 anyday.

·
Registered
183 Posts

true, 6x9s are garbage.

A slightly higher quality peice of garbage than stock speakers, but garbage none the less. Rear fill in general in a truck is pretty pointless IMO.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i would have just bought some new 5 1/4 or 601/2 components, they would fit in factory holes. a little dynamat goes a long way when it comes to interior rattle and response from the speakers. but nice work with what u had to work with. if u notice any rattle just wrap the cut edge of the speaker hole with dynamat or some kind of matte type material and PRESTO, no more rattle. i only say this because ive seen these before, and give it a month and u will prabably have some rattle. a worst enemy in the car stereo business.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts