TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's dead 'round here so how about some hauler tech for ya.

Ford routes the crank breather into the filtered air inlet which makes an oily mess of the turbo, air pipes and inter-cooler. What makes it really bad is when the rubber boots that connect the intake system together begin to leak.. then that mess is on the OUTSIDE of the engine. :eek:

Yuck

Had to remove the driver's side batt, air box etc to get the driver's side "hot" pipe out. I also did the 'foil delete mod' which took more time than I wanted... dang glue. Scotchbrite both pipes .. looks better. The foil is supposed to be a sound deadening. I didn't notice any difference.

Here is one of the culprits. This ONE boot is $85 from the stealership. Bought a BD kit from Summit for much, much less and include all 6 boots (2ea intercooler, 2ea upper spider, 2ea lower spider) and new clamps. The lower spider manifold boots that feed directly into the heads are pain, mainly cause you have to be up in the engine bay to work on it. My knees and back didn't like that!!

Turned the 'dog house' 180*. Plugged the intake port. Reused the small elbow and rerouted the breather under the truck for now. I may add a catch can later.

Added bonus... ancient critter nest in the valley. Shop vac'd it out. :rolleyes:

All back together and clean.

Spent the morning pressure washing underneath this area where the worst boot was leaking the most oil... I hate leaks. Love this engine, getting 20mpg daily driving it. Hope it lasts me a long time!!!

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hauler Update:

So immediately following the engine oil leak issues, the auto trans starts leaking at the front seal. Great. $500 later it's fixed. New front seal, bushing, pump gaskets/o-rings, filter, rear tail shaft seal, new vent tube and a lot of tranny juice. Thought it was self inflicted. Turns out Ford's seal ain't that great.

As for the engine oil leaks, that seems to be fixed.
The breather re-route is smokey and stinky so I'm gonna need a catch can to slow that down.
The foil delete mod is noticeable while towing, more turbo noise... but I kinda like it! :p
Haven't really noticed any seat of the pants performance increase but I didn't expect any.

Near future mods are:
- 6.0 trans cooler
- Deep pan trans pan w/temp port
- Gauges. Boost (just for fun), Trans temp (cause I'm not fixing the trans again), and EGT (cause I don't want to cook the 7.3 even tho it's not tuned yet).

Distant mods are:
- Exhaust syst
- Air intake syst
- Tuner
- Turbo, injectors, hpop, etc... etc.. etc.. WAIT!!!...what about the crawler????????? :eek:

·
Registered
743 Posts
So immediately following the engine oil leak issues, the auto trans starts leaking at the front seal. Great. $500 later it's fixed. New front seal, bushing, pump gaskets/o-rings, filter, rear tail shaft seal, new vent tube and a lot of tranny juice. Thought it was self inflicted. Turns out Ford's seal ain't that great.

As for the engine oil leaks, that seems to be fixed.
The breather re-route is smokey and stinky so I'm gonna need a catch can to slow that down.
The foil delete mod is noticeable while towing, more turbo noise... but I kinda like it! :p
Haven't really noticed any seat of the pants performance increase but I didn't expect any.

Near future mods are:
- 6.0 trans cooler
- Deep pan trans pan w/temp port
- Gauges. Boost (just for fun), Trans temp (cause I'm not fixing the trans again), and EGT (cause I don't want to cook the 7.3 even tho it's not tuned yet).

Distant mods are:
- Exhaust syst
- Air intake syst
- Tuner
- Turbo, injectors, hpop, etc... etc.. etc.. WAIT!!!...what about the crawler????????? :eek:
I just finished my Crawler hauler long overdue maintenance to my 7.3... I was getting high EGT's and low boost on the last few trips. Checked my up-pipes and found them showing leaks.

Bought New "International" UP-pipes with proper gaskets (actually bought the Dorman knockoffs)!!

Figured I had to pull the turbo, so did the EBPV delete with a new non-EBPV turbo pedestal and new non-EBPV turbo outlet. And figured it was off so full 360 rebuild on the turbo as well.
All was going fairly smooth... all the clamps were stubborn as expected... and the old pipes literally "fell" out when unbolted from the manifold.

Finally got it all back together. Started it, only to have 3 gallons of Rotella puke out on my driveway. Then I tear off everything to check the pedestal seal where it looked like it was leaking... check and reset the seals, re-install everything, new oil and filter. Now it wont start! :mad: crank on it forever... after a few days of online repair investigation... I replace the CPS, refill HPOP reservoir, crank on it again.. finally starts... 30 seconds later.. pukes 3 more gallons of NEW Rotella in a new spot on my driveway! :mad: Pull everything again... tear down turbo to make sure all is installed correctly (thinking maybe oil is not flowing through due to the possibility the 360 bearing is installed backwards.) Turbo checks out fine, remove pedestal again... and finally find a HOLE in the back of the pedestal!! Installed NPT plug in the elusive hole in the new pedestal and back together everything goes. After some crankin it starts!! Test drive time... up and down the road.... guess what.. A freakin exhaust LEAK on the new Up-pipes!! Back in the driveway again.. and loosen all the pipes... re-align turbo to "baby's butt" and reclamp.. Test drive time!! :D finally drives like a new truck. Back in the driveway for a full HPOP oil change, and clean EBPS and tube (it was totally clogged!) Test drive... :D Power is [email protected]!

·
Registered
743 Posts
While waiting on my new parts to arrive weekend before last.. I installed a TS tuner , 4 gauge pod (boost, trans temp, exhaust temp, and fuel pressure) on my brothers 2001 7.3. Gauges and pod from Glow Shift.

Pretty painless install, just a poor quality gauge pod assembly (bad fitment.) Should have gone with a 3 instead IMHO.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holy re-work Batman! At least you got it figured out... sheesh, sounds like my kinda luck lol!

I nearly traded my junk for a brand new Dodge when the trans started leaking. Had the truck picked out, the trade numbers finalized, financing in place, extended warranty negotiated and ... got sick to my stomach at $620 per month payment for the rest of my life was just TOO DanG MuCh!! ...so in the paid for '01 Red rolling turd we keep rolling!!! :D

However, at the original 250hp/525ftlbs the ol' 7.3 isn't too bad, most power I've ever had anyway... till I ride in Tim's SD 6.7 psd at 400hp/800ftlbs ... holy crap, that thing will pin you to the seat!!

Did you reroute your breather or is it still factory? I've noticed less oil consumption since dumping it overboard.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Holy re-work Batman! At least you got it figured out... sheesh, sounds like my kinda luck lol!

I nearly traded my junk for a brand new Dodge when the trans started leaking. Had the truck picked out, the trade numbers finalized, financing in place, extended warranty negotiated and ... got sick to my stomach at $620 per month payment for the rest of my life was just TOO DanG MuCh!! ...so in the paid for '01 Red rolling turd we keep rolling!!! :D

However, at the original 250hp/525ftlbs the ol' 7.3 isn't too bad, most power I've ever had anyway... till I ride in Tim's SD 6.7 psd at 400hp/800ftlbs ... holy crap, that thing will pin you to the seat!!

Did you reroute your breather or is it still factory? I've noticed less oil consumption since dumping it overboard.
$620/mo!!! sheesh. Ive been looking at used cummins recently...;)

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$620/mo!!! sheesh. Ive been looking at used cummins recently...;)
Yeah, it's stupid expensive, and that's +/- 25% down... just couldn't swallow that pill!! Yikes how do these guys do it, I see new trucks all over the place????

·
Registered
743 Posts

I havent re-routed it yet... had thought of doing it everytime I pull it off the intake tube.. but want to do it right, new tube and boots and running all the way out back with some filter so I dont have to smell it. I did away with the factory box.. instead run a HUGE WIX 6637 filter instead.. Much better filtration..

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's stinks and smokes for sure... so a catch can contraption is my next project. However, no more internal sludge or intercooler boot oil leaks!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
sorry, slow rebuild on this project. just did some sensors, fuel filter. ordered new kits for sway bars front and rear. I need to re-evaluate the project after this month on direction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts