TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to track down an 7.5" 3rd member with 4.10 or 4.30 gears. Does anybody know if Toyota made a 6 lug truck with the 7.5" rear diff? I have a lead on a 7.5" diff with factory 4.10 gears but the owner says it has 6 lug axels. I can't seem to find any information about Toyota ever making a 7.5" with 6 lug. Begining to think this guy has an 8" diff and not the 7.5" like he thinks. Any insight you can provide would be very helpful.

Unfortunately no information is available about what year truck this rear end came out of or what engine/tranny combo it had.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Been trying to track down an 7.5" 3rd member with 4.10 or 4.30 gears. Does anybody know if Toyota made a 6 lug truck with the 7.5" rear diff? I have a lead on a 7.5" diff with factory 4.10 gears but the owner says it has 6 lug axels. I can't seem to find any information about Toyota ever making a 7.5" with 6 lug. Begining to think this guy has an 8" diff and not the 7.5" like he thinks. Any insight you can provide would be very helpful.

Unfortunately no information is available about what year truck this rear end came out of or what engine/tranny combo it had.

Thanks,

Mike
they don't exist. Only the 8" diffs have those ratios.

I'm not even sure if any aftermarket gears are made for the 7.5.

I suggest you try Customtacos.com as those guys have all the necessary info for mini trucks (which is what you have, by the way)

This forum deals pretty much exclusively with Tacoma Prerunners and Tacoma and earlier 4x4s which all have an 8" diff of one sort or another.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was thinking this was most likely an 8" diff. By the way, plenty of aftermarket gears for the 7.5" rear diffs. Also some good locker options for this diff. Just trying to avoid spending more money than I have to.

I'll give custom tacos a try. Looking like I need to try and find a 3rd member out of a pre 96 2wd toyota pickup with the 4 cyl and auto trans. This combo came from the factory with a 4.30 gear in the 7.5" rear end.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Thanks. I was thinking this was most likely an 8" diff. By the way, plenty of aftermarket gears for the 7.5" rear diffs. Also some good locker options for this diff. Just trying to avoid spending more money than I have to.

I'll give custom tacos a try. Looking like I need to try and find a 3rd member out of a pre 96 2wd toyota pickup with the 4 cyl and auto trans. This combo came from the factory with a 4.30 gear in the 7.5" rear end.
Ah, that right...same diff as the older Celicas...forgot about that.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
if its a 6 lug axle, its from a 4x4... the 2wd had 5 lug axles

my old 2wd had a 5 lug 8"

·
Registered
89 Posts
What about using 86-95 IFS front gears? It has the same carrier as the celicas, and is a 7.5" ring gear, low pinion. Plenty of that stuff out there in the SAS scrap piles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about using 86-95 IFS front gears? It has the same carrier as the celicas, and is a 7.5" ring gear, low pinion. Plenty of that stuff out there in the SAS scrap piles.
Is the carrier the same as the one in my rear diff? Would be nice to just swap out the carrier/third member.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The IFS fronts and the supra rears are not 3rd member dropout style diffs. As far as interchange, I would guess so, seeing that the celica/supra rear parts fit the IFS fronts, and some parts into the tacoma high pinion diffs, but a call to a parts house should clear it up, if the part #s match, find a used IFS diff and gut it. If you find an lsd in a supra it will probably fit too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts