TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searching but couldnt find exactly what I was looking for. I was looking at the wheelers website and tossed some deavers in my basket, going to do checkout to finalize and started thinking.... I've got a regular cab with a tool box and hitch.... When I go camping I like to throw my tools, tent, and a bunch of shit in the bed. I also tow small trailers with 4 wheelers etc.... I need at least my STOCK towing capacity.... During searching everyone said 7 leaf, but I need the capacity but still want a plush pussy ride.... Also looking for 1.5-2.0 inch of lift.... So should I go with more than 7 leaves ?? I'm thinking 8 leaf tops.... And bilstein 7100's or 5150's out back ? Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saws 2.0 will be cranked to about 2.5
Truck will also have a krawler 1" BL

Running 285/75/16 tires

Doing the wheels/tires/locker/saws/body lift/leafs/shocks/navigation/bed bar/lights/locker

All in one day, throwing a S Fl Wrenchathon.... Trying to get all my pieces ready, ordered and sitting in my hands....

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I have the 8 lf... I wouldn't go less... Unless you run an empty bed 90% of the time...

Besides I'm sure you'll add more accessories to the load as you get more into the trail side of things... ie... HiLift, extra parts, tools, CO2, extra spare, food, water, and other junk... Better to go 8's then have to re-purchase after you figure it out you don't have enough with 7's... 8's ride nice... and they'll settle close to yer front ride height...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the bed bar will have hi lift, stocked toolbox, lights, 33" Spare, tow straps, tent, water and fuel.... Truck also has hitch, and I dont tow often at all, only when we go out, like 4-5 times a year lately.... I just want to be ABLE to tow if I need too.... I've got a car dolly that gets used occasionaly...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
beats me... I run the 5125's... Why would you need more... with the 8 lf. Deavers I run the 8 and 8.5 length... so I would assume you'd need the same/similar length on the 5150's... that is if yer using the oem shock mounts... Unless yer hauling ass on the terrain... the 5125's would do fine and save you money... JMO

·
Registered
717 Posts
i installed the deaver 8 leaf on my truck at the end of the summer, and my truck was already lifted about 2-2.5" i had to crank my hoes up about another half inch to level out my truck. compaired to stock leafs they ride great, and i am tough on both sets of leaf packs. oh and as far as shock length, i have the donahoe rear shocks with 10" of travel. the leafs drop perfectly for the shocks. i know that the 5150s can come with different lengths. 8 and 8.5" shocks would work with the set up, but i dont know if you would get all the travel out of the leaf springs. just my two cents.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I dont know about which leafs to go with because i do not have either but some advice i can give you is on the shocks. If you want a soft ride, go with the D-Hoe res rear shocks or 10" shortbody Bilstein 7100's valved around 170/60 or 185/65. Either one is a much softer valving than the bilstein 5125 or 5150 which are 255/70 which is a pretty heavy valving for the rear of a light truck. Plus you will get more wheel travel. The 8's will carry weight a little better than the 7's but with soft shocks it will bounce a little more. With the 7's and the heavy valving it will probably ride pretty good and handle a trailer well, only it will sag a lot with tongue weight. The heavy valving will probably make it alittle more stable but can make the rear end feel loose on some washboard bumps. I have the 3-leaf Deaver AAL wich is supposed to be similar in characteristics to the 7 leaf. I have 255/70 valved Billy 5150's and the ride is pretty stiff. it is not bad but the truck does handle very well and is stable and handles a trailer very well, only it sags a lot with the weight.

For the softest ride, 7 leafs and D-Hoe Res shocks would be the softest ride but would probably not work too well for towing. I would go with the 8 leaf and soft valved shocks if it was me personnally.

-AJ

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
NorCalTRD said:
i installed the deaver 8 leaf on my truck at the end of the summer, and my truck was already lifted about 2-2.5" i had to crank my hoes up about another half inch to level out my truck. compaired to stock leafs they ride great, and i am tough on both sets of leaf packs. oh and as far as shock length, i have the donahoe rear shocks with 10" of travel. the leafs drop perfectly for the shocks. i know that the 5150s can come with different lengths. 8 and 8.5" shocks would work with the set up, but i dont know if you would get all the travel out of the leaf springs. just my two cents.
Did you relocate yer shock mounts for those 10's ?

·
Registered
717 Posts
nope, donahoe fits into the stock locations. they where a little long when the turck was just sitting on the ground when i had just shackels. even then the leigth was perfect, but now that i have deavers they are perfect.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
Ive got the 8's with a snugtop lid and just did a tow alittle over 6 months ago from california to texas (400 lbs tongue weight) and all i got was 1" if that of sag in the rear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts