TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 Tacoma Reg Cab 2.7L 4x4 5speed, with 3.91 gears. I already have a 3" Cornfed Lift with rear AAL, and a set of sliders from stubbswelding. I upgraded the tiny wheels/tires to 15x8 AR767's and 31x10.5x15 ProComp AT's not long ago.

Seems like there's nothing useful to do with 700 bucks. I thought of doing a spray in bedliner for 450ish.

I can't upgrade tire size unless I regear - which is going to cost about 1150 + a rear locker :)

Are there any other useful upgrades?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Armor. Sliders and skidplates since you already have the lift. How about a winch bumper. You could upgrade from spacers to SAWs. Exhaust header or cat-back. Kick ass stereo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stereo Work is done.

Upgrading to SAW's has me interested, and so does a front bumper - I like the one on the main demello-offroad page. I should shoot him an email - it says they only do inhouse stuff, so I'm not sure if that'll work out.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
EricR said:
Stereo Work is done.

Upgrading to SAW's has me interested, and so does a front bumper - I like the one on the main demello-offroad page. I should shoot him an email - it says they only do inhouse stuff, so I'm not sure if that'll work out.
One more idea. Upgrade to a new leaf pack, alcans, skyjacker etc. But my number one suggestion would be to save your money until you really need it instead of trying to find something to spend it on just 4 the hell of it. Wait until you know you have to have a certain mod. my .02 :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
EricR said:
Stereo Work is done.

Check the sponsor's section if you want to upgrade to SAWs. They are having a smokin good deal on them right now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
EricR said:
Stereo Work is done.

Hold on a min, in house only? No Demello ships! he just finished a custom front winch bumper built exactly to my design, worked around my bent front frame, and I'm located in new jersey (for one more month! Then it's back home to Louisiana!) He also built a rear tube bumper and some sliders built to my specifications...he will work with you don't worry about that...just give him a call i think you will be very pleased with how much he can do for you.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
EricR said:
I have an 03 Tacoma Reg Cab 2.7L 4x4 5speed, with 3.91 gears. I already have a 3" Cornfed Lift with rear AAL, and a set of sliders from stubbswelding. I upgraded the tiny wheels/tires to 15x8 AR767's and 31x10.5x15 ProComp AT's not long ago.

Seems like there's nothing useful to do with 700 bucks. I thought of doing a spray in bedliner for 450ish.

I can't upgrade tire size unless I regear - which is going to cost about 1150 + a rear locker :)

I can help you spend it:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
alabamatacomaguy said:
r u locked?

air lockers?

I agree a locker. I don't think that you can get a air locker in for $700. The air locker cost that much by it's self. You would still need an air source a tank tubing etc. But you could get a full time locker for $700. and maybe even two lockers if your lucky for that much.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
EricR said:

like I said before save it till u can buy a worthwhile mod. Dont bust it on lunchbox lockers when if u waited a bit and got mo' $ you could have an ARB.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
$700

EricR said:
I have an 03 Tacoma Reg Cab 2.7L 4x4 5speed, with 3.91 gears. I already have a 3" Cornfed Lift with rear AAL...

Gears, even w/ 31's, your truck isn't gettin the best gas mileage. I'm regearing this summer to probably 4.56's. I've got 3.58's right now, and even on 31's they suck ass. If I were you, I'd go ahead and get either 4.56's or 4.88's and get some 33's under there. But, if you're satisfied w/ the gearing, save your money so in you need it in the future, you'll be ok, hopefully if you don't F up too bad ;)! Peace, Wes

·
Registered
988 Posts
EricR said:

I'll have a complete front diff with 4.30's (ADD from '99 4Runner) and a complete 4.30 e-locker 3rd (V6-Toyota not aftermarket gears) for sale soon if you're interested, can't do them for $700, but I would for $1000 and meet you halfway to North Carolina to save the shipping costs. They have 43k miles on them.
Oops forgot you have the 8.4" rearend, I have a 4Runner rear axle housing that I can also sell, you'll have to modify it to accept the locker b/c it was factory open and also it will need to be changed to leaf springs instead of coils. You can get a wiring kit for cheap to hook it up and skip the factory wiring.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
another option you might consider is onboard air: tools, tank(s), hoses, etc. will def pay that off

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have the same truck as you do, but mine's an '02 and it's stock except for 31" MT/Rs. I'm having a rear No-Slip locker installed on Wednesday; I'll be trying out the locker in Moab next month. Total cost for the install will be around $640. That's a useful idea. : )

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It looks like my Best option right now is to save up another couple months, and just regear to 4.56 or 4.88's add a locker or LSD in the rear, and go 33's. From what I understand I can go 33x10.5's or 32x11.5's with the 3" cornfed lift I have. I'd like to go 33x12.5's but I don't want excessive rubbing issues - I'd want to use the wheels i have now 3 3/4 backspacing 15x8 units.

Thanks a bunch guys!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would get a nice welder, and still have money for a chop-saw and small hand grinder. Then I would make all the parts I need myself :welder:

Actually I would put it in my truck fund since I am still working on getting a tacoma.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts