TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight well my rear shocks are blown and I have some OMEs up front and want something good for the rear. I want to run 12 travels on the rear and can't decide btw the bilstiens or foxs?

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I'm a semi-recent Bilstein fan (5100's) ... I've seen a few threads about poor quality with Fox, which is surprising to me - they've been around a while... It was on the internet so it had to be true and yes I'm a French model.

Why do you need 12" do you have that much rear suspension travel?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not too much rear travel that's jus wat hillbilly and I had talk about and one day ill prolly buy a deaver or Alcan pack and jus wasn't really sure as to how much more flex that would bring. I'm jus not trying to bottom out or over extend my shocks. I think that's why mine are shot now

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Measure 47 times and buy once :p nah, seriously flex it out, full bump to full extension and that will determine what shock length you need. I dunno about the 7100's either, that's a lot of shock for a stock truck. Gitcha some 5125 or 5150's or whatever they're making now and call it good.

Oh.. and please be sure to cross check everything Hillbilly tells ya!!! LOL ;)

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
Shocks won't bring anymore flex by themselves. The longer the shock (too long) the more you have to tilt them to fit them, and the more you tilt them the less they dampen which is what they're on there for in the first place. Fitting overly long shocks is/was a fad IMO.

Fwiw I run 10" 5125s with a 2" aal.

I'd buy proper length shocks for your current state, then if your new packs dictate new shocks, buy different ones then. Or wait and do it all together, if your current shocks have any life left.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shocks won't bring anymore flex by themselves. The longer the shock (too long) the more you have to tilt them to fit them, and the more you tilt them the less they dampen which is what they're on there for in the first place. Fitting overly long shocks is/was a fad IMO.

Fwiw I run 10" 5125s with a 2" aal.

I'd buy proper length shocks for your current state, then if your new packs dictate new shocks, buy different ones then. Or wait and do it all together, if your current shocks have any life left.
I know the shocks won't bring more flex I was talkin about if/wen I do new leaf packs. But after a lil more reading and you and Ted confirming I think ill run 10s
Oh and why do you think a 7100 is too much shock I figured it was jus a slightly better 5150 with an external resi instead of a piggyback???

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Measure 47 times and buy once :p nah, seriously flex it out, full bump to full extension and that will determine what shock length you need. I dunno about the 7100's either, that's a lot of shock for a stock truck. Gitcha some 5125 or 5150's or whatever they're making now and call it good.

Oh.. and please be sure to cross check everything Hillbilly tells ya!!! LOL ;)
Hey now....... I was going off personal experience when I told him 12's:p. I loved my 12” travel shocks back before I did the Chevy swap.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Hey now....... I was going off personal experience when I told him 12's:p. I loved my 12” travel shocks back before I did the Chevy swap.
:p thought that'd get a rise out of ya!

and why do you think a 7100 is too much shock I figured it was jus a slightly better 5150 with an external resi instead of a piggyback???
Just thinking cost vs return on investment (roi) is all... (not that this hobby has ANY return on investment lol!)

·
Premium Member
3,511 Posts
Like Colin said, do it all at once. No reason to spend the money twice. Decide on the springs you want to use and after you get them on flex them out and stuff them at a bump stopped level. Take those measurements and buy the correct size shocks based on that. Stock shocks will get you by even with new springs for a week or so after you take measurements and have time to order shocks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:p thought that'd get a rise out of ya!

Just thinking cost vs return on investment (roi) is all... (not that this hobby has ANY return on investment lol!)
Ahhh I gotcha.
Like Colin said, do it all at once. No reason to spend the money twice. Decide on the springs you want to use and after you get them on flex them out and stuff them at a bump stopped level. Take those measurements and buy the correct size shocks based on that. Stock shocks will get you by even with new springs for a week or so after you take measurements and have time to order shocks.
Yeah only problem is I can push the rear of my truck down and run around it 5 times before they come back up hahahah they are shot to shit

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
There is no need for a external oil res or piggy back. Most stuff in the SE will be slow speed and not cause the shocks to get hot enough to warrant the extra oil/cooling.

5100s will be find or some smooth body race shocks(Fox, S-A-W, King, etc..)

·
Registered
710 Posts
IMO find some rebuildable race shocks. ie fox, king, etc. I've got some BBCS and I've managed to break a shaft in half. If it had been a rebuildable shock, I could have just gotten a new shaft. I had to replace one due to a leak (still warrantied), I could have just gotten new seals. Maybe that's just my way of thinking after launching my truck 4 feet high though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IMO find some rebuildable race shocks. ie fox, king, etc. I've got some BBCS and I've managed to break a shaft in half. If it had been a rebuildable shock, I could have just gotten a new shaft. I had to replace one due to a leak (still warrantied), I could have just gotten new seals. Maybe that's just my way of thinking after launching my truck 4 feet high though.
Do you not remember me bein there for all that haha I think I was driving dp and we noticed the shocks after we got out. Ha

Oh and sorry everybody prolly shoulda said something earlier but I ended up jus goin wit the OME nitro sports on the rear. Got to talkin wit Albert at 4wps on one of their big sales I figure I was running OME on the front so why not the rear and actually they turned out pretty good nice ride no more bouncing around. But I did go w/ 10s so thanx everyone.

Ill grab some pics tomorrow even though you all know wat they look like at least it'll livin up this thread a little?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts