TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
NVTTORA Ex-Prez....
6,442 Posts
Thanks Rod, and for starting the trip report.......I was just getting ready to start it! LOL!!

Glad you had a good time!! :D

·
NVTTORA Ex-Prez....
6,442 Posts
Trip got going a bit late when we got to the Avi.....as we were still waiting on Ed's son Jeremy to show up........Then had to wait for Paul, as he thought it would be a good time to go and order sandwiches at the little cafe/sandwich shop........but didn't anticipate how long they would take......and they take a while!!

Anyway.....now we finally get going....and at the back of the Avi.......the gate was closed leading through the back fireworks area that we take to get over to the beginning of our trip!! So, with only backtracking as the option to getting to the trail head.......I altered the starting point to be on the other side of the road, about 1/2 mile from the starting point.

Make our way to Paiute springs and Fort Paiute for lunch....at this point......we've already come across several other groups running the Mojave Road........and a couple more at lunch.....everyone is pretty cool.

We visit a bevy of cool side trips, as I always do for our groups.......Paiute Gorge, the Lanfair Petroglyhs, the Penny Can(scored some nice firewood!!!
Now, we're working our way up to Caruthers Canyon....way way up in the New York Mountains!! Only to hear on the radio that Jeff in the New Land Cruiser just Blew TWO TIRES ON THE SAME SIDE.....AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!
More to come......

So, the LC 200 was the 5th car back, going up the road to Caruthers Canyon......the first three made the right turn.....and then we get a call.....The LC blew two tires!!! Well....shit!!! We're only now running about an hour late (for where I wanted to be) at that time.
So, I have Ed, and Jeremy stand down, while I backtracked and got to the rest of the group (6 trucks) and assesed the situation, consulted my tailgunner (Paul) and decide, with 6 trucks, there are plenty of hands to patch up the tires, and I also supply them with my Safety Seal kit, and I, Ed and Jeremy continue on to see if we can secure my #1 camp spot (you all know the one!!)....as we were worried with all of the traffic we've seen.....that surely we've missed out and will have to secure an alternate location.
So, we jam up there......get up to the campsite....fingers and toes crossed that no one would be in there............(drum roll!!)...............and Holy Shit!!!!! It's empty!!!!! So, we were able to lock down my favorite camp spot in the park!!

Paul radios me and lets me know that they have got the tires plugged and holding some air, and are on their way up......and I let him know that we lucked out and got our spot!!!
Didn't take them long, and Paul successfully led the rest of the group up to our site!!

Then.....set up our tents and stuff......set up the kitchen, and commence to cook and party!!!!
Only thing though.......with the wind.....it was fucking COLD COLD COLD up there as the night wore on!!!!!

Our feast was of course......(to my trip standards.....) monumental!!!! As usual.....more than enough food for everyone in the park.....and certainly, for our group!!! Then of course......the alcohol came out.......and as it got colder......more was drank!! Funny thing though.....I brought my half gallon jug of Jagermeister....and no one really wanted any....so I still have it!!

NOTE.......if you don't have a portible heater.....you may want to get one!!!
As everyone else was freezing.....my tent at bed time, was a toasty 70*.....courtesy of my Mr. Buddy Mr. Heater!!!!!

·
NVTTORA Ex-Prez....
6,442 Posts
Saturday....... Everyone seemed to sleep in a little later than usual..... Once everyone finally got up and moving around.....breakfast started being cooked.....and served....and then more was cooked!!

When we eventually got out of camp, it was around 11:00......Which was fine, and still provided us with plenty of time to get to where we were going (Vulcan Mine)....and have time to spare.

But.......of course....things didn't work out that way!! Jeff in the LC 200......blew the plugs that Andrew had put in before we left camp, and now they had to finally put his spare tire on......this was on our way down from Caruthers Canyon on our way back to the Mojave Road. So.......another long period of time went by, as they (the trucks in the rear) had to go and change a tire out on a dirt road with the bottle jack!!

When we got back rolling again, we were starting to really get behind now.....Got down the hill into Camp Rock Springs area......had a group behind us, and another group waiting at the bottom for us to come down.....
Up to the Rock house above Rock Springs, and stopped so the girls could use the pit toilet there.....on to Government Holes........then back to Cedar Canyon Road to Black Canyon Road......on our way down too Foshay Pass and Vulcan mine.
But wait!!!! The plugs in Jeff's sidewall on his other flat tire.....gave way, and we had to get it patched again to get him rolling. Stev, Todd and I were already at the Hole in the Wall.....when we got the call.......and they needed to use my Safety Seal kit again (they used almost all of my plugs on Jeff's tires(hopefully he'll buy me some new ones and send them to me))

I leave Steve and Todd where we were....and I hightail it back a couple of miles to where the LC is dead in the water again. After Paul getting him all patched up again, we get moving back to where I left Steve and Todd....then over to Hole in the Wall to dump our trash and shit!! This took easily another hour out of the day!! :eek::mad:

We had already discussed the fact that Jeff and Jan couldn't continue, and now we just had to get them down to where we were going, and they could hit up I 40 and head on over to Neddles and get at least one tire.

Got down to the intersection of Black Canyon Road and Essex Road, and said our good byes.....
Then.....almost like out of the heavens......came the Hottest little blonde NPS Ranger we had ever seen!!!! She was also super cool!!! She needed her tires aired down on her Dodge Ram, so of course....we helped her out!!!
She also checked that I had my permit, which I did.......Was hoping she would pat me down or something!!! :boobies::boobies::bhitit:

So, they go their way towards Needles....we continue up the Foshay Pass to the Vulcan mine. Actually have not been up this road before....but what a Cool road!! Once we start dropping down the other side......we were blown away by the view below!!!
Get to the mine......everybody get's out and explores....and a couple of guys actually hike all the way to the bottom....and it's a Long way to the bottom!!! :eek:
Once everyone gets back from the mine, I decide that we should stop there and have a quick lunch before continuing down to our next stop (Kelso Depot!).
Then, out of the blue....Andrew says he is going home??!! I'm like WTF?? He said that he got a message from his GF while we were helping the ranger, that she was sick.....Anyway.....I'm still not sure what the deal was, and why he would take off in the middle of the trip......So, I'm like, whatever.....now I have seven trucks to get moving and into our camp site!!

Stop at the Kelso Depot......it was closed, as it was just past 5:00 pm.......but we hung out for a while, let everyone explore the outside, and use the bathrooms....(with the last running water we'll see until we get home!)....and dump any other trash we may have.
Get back on the road, headed back to the Mojave Road!! Get to our campsite at Beal Mt., but people are already at out spot....and another group was in one of the other spots. Luckily....there are three spots there big enough to handle our size group.....so we were home for the night!!

Got set up, and let the party begin!!!! Ed got pretty shit faced!!! We didn't have as much food as Friday night, because we had already lost two trucks....and their items. But....we still had more than enough food to eat!!!
Eventually.....everybody makes it to bed.......:) :xzzz::xzzz::xzzz:

·
NVTTORA Ex-Prez....
6,442 Posts
Easter Sunday morning.........

Another late morning for people getting up!!!
Breakfast was made, served, and more was made......
Everyone is full again!!!

Everyone is packed up again, and we got out of there roughly around the same time as Saturday.....a little earlier I think!

Head up to our next stop along the Mojave Road.....Marl Springs, where we were treated by three or four Big Horn Sheeps!!!!
Cool.....wildlife!!!!! They were coming down for some fresh water....and weren't too worried about us being there either!!! Got lots of pictures of them (I'll try to get them up tonight!!)

Back in our wagons.....next stop....the Mojave Road Mailbox, and the Frog Shrine!!!!
Everyone signed the log book.....put a bunch of items in the Mail box....and went and left our Frogs at the Frog Shrine,,,,took some pictures.....and moved on!!!
Next....was another major side trip.....the Aikens Cinder Mine!!!
Very cool place.....with all of the equipment just left there back around 1990....and looks l ike they could start mining there at any time!!!
We spent a bit of time there exploring, taking pictures and such!
Then, after more pictures.....on our way to the Lave Tubes.....from the back way!! Rather than backtracking to the Lave Tubes from there......we went further in the oppposite direction.....but it was very very cool old volcanic road that offered more scenery that No one Ever see's on a Mojave Road trip!!!

Get to the Lave Tubes....I decide not to go in this time, as I usually take the longest.....with unpacking and repacking the tripod and other factors........plus, I already have a bunch of Great pictures from in there!!

Get everyone back in their trucks......and Back to the Mojave Road we go!!! Now.....this is one the Fun fast driving parts in the washes!!!!! I get up to about 70 mph........!!!! Reach Seventeen mile point at Kelbaker Road.......cross it, and continue on to Soda Lake!!!
We stop to pick up our Volcanic rocks top place at the Travelers Monument at the center of Soda Lake!!!
Everyone get's there in mostly one peice!! We get our group shots (cortesy of Rod) and a few other pictures!!!
At this time, Paul and his nephew let me know that they are taking off, as they are also going to Death Valley for a few days, and still have to stop in Baker for more fuel and provisions and get to a spot where they can get a cabin!!
No worries, as I already knew they were going, and they had made it 3/4's or more of our trip!! They headed over to Rasor Road and hit the I 15 to Baker and DV!!

We get back in our now 6 truck wagon train, and start the trip to Afton Canyon!!! We stop short of that to go a head and have a quicked that I wanted to.....Easter Brunch/lunch!!
Some repairs are made again to Ed Jeep......

Back in the trucks......onto the sand dunes and Finally.....the spectacular Afton Canyon!!! No more times for anymore side trips this time around......but did stop under the famous Afton Canyon Bridge!!
Take the pictures.....and then it's time to hightail it out of there!!!

The canyon....as usual, is the Highlight of the entire three day's!!!!

Plenty of surface water in the river to have a Ton Of Fun!!!!!
Get out of the river and through the Two water crossings at the end!!!! Then....it's on to the Afton Canyon campground as this is now the end of our three day trip!!!!
Everyone airs back up.....use the bathrooms, dump trash and start to say our good byes!!!! Oh......and start getting eaten alive by the onlu mosquitos!!!! First time all weekend we've even seen any of theestuipind bugs!!!

Rod and I (only people left representing the club!) head back to Las Vegas with enough gas to Not have to stop, and Ed and crew head back to the LA area!!!!!

Another cool successful trip....aside from the flat tires on Jeffs LC....no other carnage to report!!!!

THE END!!!!!!

·
NVTTORA Ex-Prez....
6,442 Posts
The Trip report (my version) is now done!!!

Just have to get my pictures done!!! :D

·
NVTTORA Ex-Prez....
6,442 Posts
I also want to thank Paul for being pretty much, the best tail gunner I think I've ever had!!! :D :clap::clap:

·
NVTTORA Ex-Prez....
6,442 Posts

·
NVTTORA Ex-Prez....
6,442 Posts

·
NVTTORA Ex-Prez....
6,442 Posts
Hey Ed, Paul, Jeff and Andrew.....how about getting your pictures posted up?? :confused::rolleyes:

·
NVTTORA Ex-Prez....
6,442 Posts
I will when I get my computer back. Right now I am limited to a Kindle Fire! :(

Probably not enough memory in the Kindle I'm guessing!

·
NVTTORA Ex-Prez....
6,442 Posts
Where is the rest of the pictures?!?! Ed, Jeff, Andrew, Paul (when you get your computer!).....come on guys!!! :p

·
Registered
184 Posts
Airing Down

Swearing In

Robert Announcing 'Drivers, Start Your Engines!'

Looking Where the Treasure May Have Have Been Buried

Example of Recent Geological Formations

Short 'Occupy Mojave' Protest

Saftey Seal Plug Test No. 1

Abraham's Alter of Rocks

Ebony and Ivory

Mojave Mischief

Highway to ...

Night, Night

Government Required Inspections

Filling Up Our Water Bottles

Near Miss

Iwo Jima Reenactment

Thumb Check

Stimulus Project

Afternoon Dance Party

Sentenced to the Rock Pile

Evening Dip in the Pool

Cheapest Gas We Could Find

Lost Puppy

Model Match

Constipated

Bird Shower

Modern Kitchen

Distressed Real Estate

Forgotten by AAA

Framed

Slant Eight

Hosed

Complete with Outdoor Kitchen

Dry Cleaned

Iris this Place

Men In Black Facilities

Railroaded

Can Yawn

Nuts

Non-Wheelin'

Mining Our Own Business

Core Re Gated

DV Evergreen

Roger Roger

Passing Gas

Watch Lizard

·
NVTTORA Ex-Prez....
6,442 Posts
Oh and I found my radio... :)

Well....that's good!!! Told you he told me that he gave it back to you!!!! :rolleyes:

WTF??? Didn't anyone get a picture of the hottest damn little blonde NPS ranger??!! I swear that someone got a shot of her!!! :mad:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
6 Participants
HBMurphy
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing