TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
20,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doug, Kyle, Dale, Jared and I ran OCG on sunday. It was a great run, with lots of action. Kyle spent a good amount of time trying to get Whales tale, but just didnt have the traction. I sustained my first body damage on the taco, but i dont know exactly where. we just noticed it after whales tale. All in all a great day.

·
Registered
86 Posts
yea that was a fun trail and a nice way to wrap up the weekend. (i was riding with jared). i should have my pictures from that run posted up later this evening when i get home.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Its funny watching both Kyle and Nates trucks.

I could have spent a LOT less money and gotten just as far as I do now, if not farther in some cases.

I've spent a lot of time trying to find a substitute for big tires and lift, and there just isn't any. You can get comperable, but not better.

I couldn't get that whale tail, just too low.

Kyle walked up french creek where i wasted everyone's time while getting rocks stacked, and both he and I broke at the same spot. Mine was a quicker fix, but if his had been quick, he would have been able to drive the exit too.

I don't want to know how much less he's spent on his rig. :(

I'm jealous

·
20,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, but there is alot your rig can do that lift and big tires alone cant get you. you got whales tale on your own, winch didnt really do anything. On French Creek, if Kyle had taken the line around the rock that got his radiator i think he would have gone right through without breakage, and there the lift was key.:2cents:

Thats why i sat back and watched. That rock in the center makes it so that in my truck i am looking at almost certain damage.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Kyle walked up french creek where i wasted everyone's time while getting rocks stacked, and both he and I broke at the same spot. Mine was a quicker fix, but if his had been quick, he would have been able to drive the exit too.

I don't want to know how much less he's spent on his rig. :(

I'm jealous
Here's my theory on why I pulled out so easy:

If you notice, when you had your front wheels up, waiting for the winch cable, you sat for a good amount of time. Just long enough to let your tires dry a bit, as well as the rocks. So after that period of time, you had just enough traction to pull right out, without the winch.

I did the same thing. The Jeep in front of me took Nate's line, and looked like it was going to struggle, so I went and popped my front wheels up there. At that point, the Jeep was most of the way through, so I sat and waited right where you were, for a little while. One little blip of the throttle, and the rear end followed, with no problem. Now if I had scouted where to go after that, things would have been cake. I just didn't have the awareness of my location, and kept thinking I was going to clear that damn rock...:mad:

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Oh and as far as Whale's Tail goes: If we got my rear wheel lined up correctly, I could have made it, I think. Part of the problem was that I had a full tank of gas. As soon as the truck sat verticle, I lost about $5 of it out of the filler neck :mad: That just made it a little too slippery for my rear driver tire to climb in the only spot it can, and a bit more sketch to spin wheels on.

I'll get it next time, I just know I will. But it was time to let the rest of the group get wheeling again. I really don't like to be the center of attention truck that everybody is waiting on.....yet it happens waaay too much. Thanks for playing along, guys!

Pics coming soon!

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Nah. the tires were wet when I climbed out, because they sat and spun for a while first. I got up because they threw a rock under my left rear tire. I was hung on the belly and my passenger slider.

Admittedly, part of my issue is the tires. The BFG AT's are an amazing tire, and have served me well, but they just aren't cutting it anymore. But, tires or no, the clearance killed me.

You're line got you, but it was more bad luck than anything. Bad luck happens. Next time you'll have it for sure.

I didn't make the whale tail either, I took a winch, as Ike said. No line correction would have helped me, I hung on my cross member, and It was as good a line as it would have gotten. I too hate being the guy who is holding the group up and having all the attention. Just makes my screw ups that much more embarrassing, LOL.

My truck goes slower, and has more control, giving me a smoother, less likely to break, ride, but every trip I go on, it is equally as capable as all the other trucks with one locker and more lift/tire.

Don't get me wrong, I love what I have, but if capability is all that one is going after, then the body lift with big tires is where its at.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts

More here:
http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/fretslider51/Chinamens/?start=0

If you're completely disappointed with any of the pictures, that's because Evan took them. But whenever I was out of the truck, I was snapping pictures of other trucks, trying to get some good angles. It's just my truck that I have about 100 close up pictures of my doors and tires, on who knows what terrain, because a monkey with a hot metal rod up its ass takes a better picture than Evan...:rofl::lmao:

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Certainly, clearance is important, but lockers and gears will get you farther than lift any day. Let's face it - we're talking some pretty extreme obstacles for a street-driven vehicle here!

·
7,735 Posts
By the way, the OCG trail was all but clear for us. We got on the trail at about 1030, ran into a group of jeeps that was leaving the rock garden right as we got there, and bumped into them again just as they were getting up/over the waterfall/wales tale. didn't see them the rest of the day.

There was a real lack of pix as we really cruised thru pretty quickly. We ended up pulling off the trail at about 330 or so.

·
20,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, on the entrance trail before the loop we didnt stop for a single spot which really helped out time on the trail.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Certainly, clearance is important, but lockers and gears will get you farther than lift any day. Let's face it - we're talking some pretty extreme obstacles for a street-driven vehicle here!
You know I've been preaching that for as long as I can remember, but I can't deny that a line I struggled with despite good spotting, a non geared one locker truck walked right up.

·
20,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
to the point of being just as high centered as you. I dont see Kyle actually making that line without a front locker. His sliders had only begun to catch, and i think they were going to hang up even more. I may be wrong though. We will see the next time he runs OCG

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
to the point of being just as high centered as you. I dont see Kyle actually making that line without a front locker. His sliders had only begun to catch, and i think they were going to hang up even more. I may be wrong though. We will see the next time he runs OCG
referencing french creek in my post. He got stopped in the same spot as me on OCG.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Only because my rear wheel wasn't lined up, and kept slipping off of the only spot it could climb. It was difficult for anybody to see this, but me, being back towards the trees, where nobody was spotting. Had that been lined up, from my recolection, the sliders would have just kissed for a moment, before the rear climbed and leveled out. Having fuel poured on that ledge, not being lined up correctly to begin with, and having my winch truck give up, and time were the only reasons I didn't make it up, IMO.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Its not really a kiss obstacle. I was just kissing and it was enough to keep the truck from climbing.

The weight transfer is so far back that you have the majority of your weight on the rear wheels where they contact the dirt, not the rock, where it needs to be.

I'm sure you'll get it next time, and congrats on just trying. It made me nervous to be sure. Sounds like you were just fine.

·
20,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
His "Kiss" Was goinig to be much much lighter than yours, but being that vertical it is amazing how little it takes. I didnt get to see his rear wheels, so maybe there was a way for him with his longer wheelbase to get the rear to climb. i will say one thing, that extra few inches makes the extra cabs a hell of a lot more stable up there. He never got tippy at all, where as i though for sure you were headed to a roll for a while.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I had a great trip out and it was wonderful to meet you CO guys. Thanks to all you guys that helped spot Blackie up or down. Especially Mr Doug and Ike for their great spotting on Chinamans. Your work was very much appreciated! :great:

Chinamans (Sun) I was the first one up and out on Sun and saw this herd of elk at the trail head.

I'm sorry I didn't get more pics of this trail. I was racing to keep up with you guys, LOL. I did notice after the run I broke a limit strap somewhere. Other than that just a couple scratches on the sliders, thanks to the great spotters Doug and Ike!

·
20,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was great wheeling with you man! Let us know when you are headed up this way again and we will see what we can do about seeing you on the trails again.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Will do Ike, thanks. I'm kind of thinking about Moab with the TTORA takeover, now that I've met you guys. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts