TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Won an 82 4x4 last night playing poker and needs ideas. Reg cab, 4x4, solid axle, 20R, fair condition. Lots of rust, the t-case exploded and took out the pass side floorpan so it needs some work on that. Ideas? What works for a 3-4" lift for an inexpensive amount of money? What suggestions do you have? This will be a long project, not in any hurry and since I have no previous experience with the older trucks I am reading as much as I can find but havent see much out there. The cab took a tree in the hurricane and needs a new windshield (or if I can find a new cab I will just replace the whole thing instead) engine runs fine, axles have new seals and are in good shape. Tires are good (33" buckshots) couldnt beat the price but I just need ideas now. I will pick up either tomorrow or tuesday depending on how work goes. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts

When's the next poker game? I would love to have that truck:rolleyes:

X2 on the buggy.
It's already got character...Just Exo-cage and fender trim
Highway signs make good floorpans.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Vince if you can score a 22r later down the road put the 20r head on the 22r for more compression. Start pricing propane systems. www.gotpropane.com

Also put the rear springs up front for better flex and get the chevys in the rear, Thats how most on pirate do it for cheap

Lets tear into that t-case cause I might just have the right spare parts to fix it

Check the frame out real good, if its totally fucked then the buggy route would be the way to go. Who needs a damn windshield anyways, beat the shit out of the cab till its straight'ish and lets wheel the piss outa it

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
If I get bored at work tonight i'll try to find you some deals on some of the stuff you will end up needing

later

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I will be check back on this thread and adding if i find anything for my 81.
I heard of the chevy leave springs but off of what year and model truck should we look for?

·
Registered
283 Posts
chevy 2wd 1500 springs. most any model will work (63" i believe is the length). you'll need to weld in new hangers for the rears.

for the front use your rears combined with some leaf packs from a isuzu or another rear pack from a yota or anything for that matter till you get the correct height/flex you want.

high steer, hangers/shackles, and an ifs power steering box is what may cost you a little bit of money.

PS. I WILL HAVE A 81' CAB FOR SALE THIS SUMMER WITH FLAT BED/CAGE. Complete with doors, dash, civic bucket seats, steering, etc.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
chevy 2wd 1500 springs. most any model will work (63" i believe is the length). you'll need to weld in new hangers for the rears.

for the front use your rears combined with some leaf packs from a isuzu or another rear pack from a yota or anything for that matter till you get the correct height/flex you want.

high steer, hangers/shackles, and an ifs power steering box is what may cost you a little bit of money.

PS. I WILL HAVE A 81' CAB FOR SALE THIS SUMMER WITH FLAT BED/CAGE. Complete with doors, dash, civic bucket seats, steering, etc.
Totally forgot that damn push pull steering those have.

Vince, Ive got an IFS box that I might be able to let go but I got to try my hand at tapping another box for hydro asst. cause my first attemp screwed the box up :(

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
i might be able to get you a deal on a 22r if you are interested. Let me know and I can ask the guy.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Vince- Buy this cab & flat bed-
Looks pretty sweet-

Steve- I towed home that 86 4runner - So I might be looking for more spare parts- or Parts for the eventual SA.

·
Premium Member
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
got any pictures of the cab? I will definately keep it in mind if it is good shape. I am on the look out around here but if I know it will be available I will move on to other projects and put that one on hold.

Looks like I got a transfer case, it is missing a few parts but I think what is left of the one on this truck has the part that I need. I will take pictures of it tomorrow and post when I get home.

·
Premium Member
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm in the same boat. I will be check back on this thread and adding if i find anything for my 81.
I heard of the chevy leave springs but off of what year and model truck should we look for?
let me know how the search goes. I have access to 1-2 sets of stock tacoma springs if we need to build a pack. I am also close to a few junk yards, if I can find a parts list I will hit them up and see if I can find springs, maybe we can get a package deal price. Once I get the truck here and can tear into it I will start my project list. Im definately going with harness seats, propane, lift, flat bed, exocage and who knows what else.

·
Registered
112 Posts
88-98 1500 2wd chevy for the rear, and ask glen on the marlin board about the stock rear springs and f-150 leaves to put in the front. he's got an 83 and he builds springs for other people. he is also the head hancho for the arkansas ttora board.

·
Registered
283 Posts
cab is in good condition except for a dent on the pass. side that needs to be pulled.

(dent not shown)

i have a 91' 4runner body that i am swapping on so i can hit the beach more often this summer. so when that is done (will start working on it after finals next week) it'll be for sale ASAP. keep in mind you are getting extra doors for half doors and etc. with it since the only thing that i might need to recycle from the interior is the gauge cluster...

thanks,
steve

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
1 - 20 of 59 Posts