TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked this thing up the other day and besides the OBVIOUS problems I have a few issues to work out. It is a 22R with 33-12.50-15 and has NO power. The transfer case is busted so I know I will be replacing it, but when i went to load it on the trailer it almost didnt have the power needed to crawl up on the trailer (tilted) Any ideas on what could be causing this? The brake lines to the rear were crushed when the transfer case came apart (driveshaft broke while driving down the road, spun around and broke everything it could while slowing down.) just looking for ideas on where to begin. jack up the rear and see if the wheels free spin is the first thing I will try, but any ideas would be great

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Is the engine under heavy load, but still running ok, when you try to move it? Your rear brakes may be locked up, considering your lines are crushed.

Is the engine revving high with the clutch engaged? If so, the clutch is probably bad.

If the engine seems to be gutless, check the plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor, and the carb. The carb is a little tricker, because there's really not much to do other than rebuild it.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
x2 for the locked up brakes

Also, it's carbed - idle speed, air/fuel mix, and timing adjustments are now a regular thing for ya.

·
Premium Member
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any FAQ's for the carb adjusting? It needs to be idled up for sure. Once I get the motor working properly I plan to propane it, but not until I know that the problem has been fixed.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Vince, quick check for a compression test. turn on the motor and have it idle. while on, take off the oil cap on top and put your hand over the hole. If it is blowing air at your hang and getting it dirty with oil then you have a compression loss. you have compression escaping thou the rings and up into the block. normally called reverse compression. your engine still might work but it lost a whole lot of power depending on how much the loss is.

If not, just rent a compression test kit at any autoparts store and do a compression test on each cylinder but make sure you disconnect two or three plugs so the engine won't start.

GL!

edit: if you can't get your hands on one, I have one you can borrow if you are in town this weekend. LMK

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
any FAQ's for the carb adjusting? It needs to be idled up for sure. Once I get the motor working properly I plan to propane it, but not until I know that the problem has been fixed.
On the passenger side of the carb there should be a screw near the linkage, and it should be threaded into the carb body, not part of the linkage (this is the fast idle adjust screw). This adjusts the idle.

Also, I suggest getting, at the very least, the Haynes repair book from Autozone, Oreilly, etc. It sucks in most areas, but it has decent vacuum line and carb info.

·
Premium Member
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
think I got it, I idled it up and also cleaned up some stuff. (seafoam is my friend) it now seems to have more power but until I replace the transfer case I wont know since I cant put it in 4x4. but my project tomorrow is to junk the bed and try to start cleaning up the frame and all that stuff. the break lines are fine, it is actually the fuel lines that are crushed. they are not pinched off completely but I will replace them anyways. Thanks

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
there are 2 types of 22r engines and 2 types of carbs.... the one i know about is the squarebored carb, the round one was found on the earleir engines and i have no clue about the adjustments on that....

your tcase is busted and the brakelines are smashed? if its got 33s and stock gearing, that thing is going to be gutless. lol

·
Premium Member
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what were stock gears? Im going to regear eventually but it will be a while

·
Premium Member
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
trash. it is getting cut off tomorrow. Several rust spots on the sides and the bottom has a 1' hole in the back

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
what is the gear code? there is a variety of gears it could have, but none of the stock gears were stout enough to adequately deal with 33s..... the 22r only has 95 horsepower, and that is a factory number, not to mention the truck is old, and factory numbers are usually a bit padded to look good, and also parasitic drivetrain loss

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
trash. it is getting cut off tomorrow. Several rust spots on the sides and the bottom has a 1' hole in the back
Any chance it has a side latch tailgate in good shape? If so, I'm in search of one.

·
Premium Member
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no it is the normal tailgate and it is trash as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts