TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any major value in an 83 truck that has a cracked frame? can the frame be fixed or is the only option buildin a new one? i found this truck and was going to buy it untill i found the crack in the frame..... and feed back would help. Thanks :welder: !!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I would think the frame would be repairable. Get some plate about 1' long and weld peices on all four sides all the way around if you can get the frame back together the way it is suppsoed to be then reinforce it. Is it cracked on the passenger and the driver side or just one side.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i have the same problem with my 80 model i did the same thing that guy /\ said and it has worked out for me, i'm still kinda worried though

·
Registered
205 Posts
dagrace21 said:
is there any major value in an 83 truck that has a cracked frame? can the frame be fixed or is the only option buildin a new one? i found this truck and was going to buy it untill i found the crack in the frame..... and feed back would help. Thanks :welder: !!!
Where are you located? I'm looking at an 83 with a cracked frame too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TiTRD

Im in California, up in Santa Rosa. The frame is broken on the pasenger side between the cab and the bed. the guy that owned it before put some plates on it with bolts and had been driving it around like that. let me know what you do to remedy the problem and i will do the same if i get and fix the truck... have a good night.

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
dagrace21 said:
Im in California, up in Santa Rosa. The frame is broken on the pasenger side between the cab and the bed. the guy that owned it before put some plates on it with bolts and had been driving it around like that. let me know what you do to remedy the problem and i will do the same if i get and fix the truck... have a good night.
You weld plates to the outside of the frame. If you cant weld, most places will not touch the truck to fix it.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If you want to drive the truck on the road, you'll need "certified welds", i.e., someone who can supply documentation of thier frame repairing credentials. Unless you have a friend who can do this for you, forget it.

If you're wanting it for a trail rig, then buy it and have someone proficient at welding (yourself or a friend) fix the frame.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Man, all these states are getting really up tight. Here (Maine) they are just happy if you welded a cracked frame back together, they don't care how it got done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts