TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for an older sfa toyota and i found this one...

it's a 1983 pickup, single cab, looks like a long bed, it has 139000 miles on it...no rust, 2 owner, 5 speed...guy is asking 1750 for it...anybody got any suggestions?

·
Registered
104 Posts
jtg2004 said:
looking for an older sfa toyota and i found this one...

it's a 1983 pickup, single cab, looks like a long bed, it has 139000 miles on it...no rust, 2 owner, 5 speed...guy is asking 1750 for it...anybody got any suggestions?

um...buy it! Haha

·
Registered
306 Posts
I was going to suggest you tell us where it was located and a contact number but looks like i was beat to the punch.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha, i didn't do it cuz i knew you guys would haha...

just replaced timing chain and water pump...any way i can talk him down?

·
Registered
306 Posts
jtg2004 said:
haha, i didn't do it cuz i knew you guys would haha...

just replaced timing chain and water pump...any way i can talk him down?
ALWAYS! Offer him 1250, and see where he will go. Who knows he may just want to get rid of it and accept, you never know till you ask! otherwise work him down to 1500 or 1600 just let him know you are buying right then and that he will get the money for sure if he works, everyone is weak when they want money.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just talked to him and when asked how negotiable the price was he said "depends on how soon you can pick it up" so i may go look at it tonight...and go pick it up tomorrow...who knows! hehe anything specific i should look for? besides rust behind the cab on the frame, i'm sure the bed will have some rust...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TOYOTAPARTS said:
the only thing those years had real trouble with(in my opin) was bearing noise in the trans...but at that price who cares???

i think i'm going to try and offer him 1000 and see what he does...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i don't want to even pay a grand...so maybe i should try 800? i can't even look blue book up...it only goes to 87 can anybody find it???

·
Bear's Chauffeur
2,240 Posts
one thing to look for if you can pick up the carpet and check the floorboards for rust. these trucks are real prone to rusting out at the cab mounts and are a pain in the ass to fix. But you can't check from underneath because the cab mount plate hides it. Just unscrew the door seals and check all four corners.

·
Registered
288 Posts
98taco4x said:
one thing to look for if you can pick up the carpet and check the floorboards for rust. these trucks are real prone to rusting out at the cab mounts and are a pain in the ass to fix. But you can't check from underneath because the cab mount plate hides it. Just unscrew the door seals and check all four corners.
x2

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that's what i'm sayin eightyfive...the guy said it had very little rust...and the bedsides are rusted out in the middle...so now i'm weary of everything else this guy said

·
Registered
286 Posts
i am fair when i buy and sell trucks...i sold a 1985 toyota 4runner efi for a grand. the rear quarters were rusted, engine needed alot of work, tranny had problems shifting and it was an out of state truck. i could of ripped someone off but i chose not to. a grand i thought was fair, im sure the guy that bought it loved me for that. anyway, if the engine and tranny on that 83 is great, pay him a grand. if the engine and tranny needs work then pay under....

i can see that the bedsides are rusted out, that sucks. i know cuz i bought a 1986 turbo extra cab pickup with the bed all busted up. i got it for 800 and the motor and tranny is great. i mean, be smart tell the guy the problems with the truck and dont look too interested. be casual. good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i'm not going to pay over a grand since he told me there was very little rust...if he gives me a hard time i will walk away...i found another one on ebay for 850 about 5 hours from here...it's an 86 tho...time to do some test drivin lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
11 Participants
MERCER FABRICATION
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing