TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking of taking my 84 pickup axle and throwing it under my tacoma. I've seen on some sites a bracket for the transfer case swap but I wanted to know if anyone is cutting the pumpkin and shifting it over to the drivers side.
Is it worth it?
I dont know?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
its not as common as the dana swap, but people have either used it normally and put in an older gear driven case or like you said, cut the front diff part off and flipped it, but its not near as wide are your rear axle is. so it has been done but i think some people decide against it because of being able to get an axle that will work w/o having to cut it up stuff.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
no the older cases are Gear driven,and there tough also you can swap in 4:7's or 5:1's and the become crawling Sloooooww....

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
I was just thinking of taking my 84 pickup axle and throwing it under my tacoma. I've seen on some sites a bracket for the transfer case swap but I wanted to know if anyone is cutting the pumpkin and shifting it over to the drivers side.
Is it worth it?
I dont know?
not worth the trouble, IMO. There's the whole 'switching to a pass side drop' issue and the older axle is too narrow for the Tacoma.
If you are looking for the 'cheap' way to go just find an old Waggy D44 for $150 and go from there.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
not worth the trouble, IMO. There's the whole 'switching to a pass side drop' issue and the older axle is too narrow for the Tacoma.
If you are looking for the 'cheap' way to go just find an old Waggy D44 for $150 and go from there.
X2. Only reason I went with my axle (which is a toy axle that has been chopped and flipped) is because it was cheap, came complete, and was readily available.

Currently, I'm waiting for RuffStuff to come out with thier knuckleballs so I can purchase a new housing. The stock housing is just too narrow.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
X2. Only reason I went with my axle (which is a toy axle that has been chopped and flipped) is because it was cheap, came complete, and was readily available.

Currently, I'm waiting for RuffStuff to come out with thier knuckleballs so I can purchase a new housing. The stock housing is just too narrow.
hmm, cheap? :p LOL

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well, it was cheap fully loaded/upgraded. However, after all the work I had to put into it to make it what it is now, I would say it wasn't cheap at all :eek:
I don't have as much in mine as you do in yours but mine was mostly built already and still cost me quite a few pennies... and counting......

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
the only way 'better' will come into the conversation is with time ;)

and...I hope Dan gets rid of that front cap and replaces it with a flush one...like Diamond's.
You're gonna beat the hell out of whatever you put in there - I don't think flush matters. I would say I prefer the inset-allen though... as long as you don't destroy that. They can get kind of hard to jam an allen in too though - as I'm sure you know.

I think I'd rather see a fill plug in the flange and keep everything off the front. I bet you could even tap the third and do the same thing.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
too narrow and nothing is adjustable...a really stupid design.
do some research on Pirate before you buy anything from TG.
And I realize this isn't "engineering" but pick up a TG housing (in one hand) and pick up a Diamond or Ruff Stuff housing. My wife could use the TG housing like a bat, it is so puny. The Diamond and Ruff Stuff housings are freaking beafy.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
And I realize this isn't "engineering" but pick up a TG housing (in one hand) and pick up a Diamond or Ruff Stuff housing. My wife could use the TG housing like a bat, it is so puny. The Diamond and Ruff Stuff housings are freaking beafy.
that crap TG housing isn't even in the same ballpark, LOL What a piece of junk...and they only sell them one way...no room to adjust camber, etc...pathetic.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
that crap TG housing isn't even in the same ballpark, LOL What a piece of junk...and they only sell them one way...no room to adjust camber, etc...pathetic.
Typical TG R+D; come out with a product and half ass it, but customers will still bow down like you are god :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts