TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The windshield in my 84 had been replaced by a previous owner and the glass was separating from the sealant. I had a mobile guy come to reseal it but after the windshield was removed and after removing the sealant from the pinch weld area we noticed some rust, mostly surface but one hole (so far) about 3/8". So now my truck sits without a windshield in the garage until I can properly prep the frame. This isn't so much a restoration but more of a preservation with no leaks.

I plan on wire brushing and sanding to clean it up a bit and to get the loose stuff off and then using rust converter on it, filling the hole with bondo glass and then priming and painting.

What primer would be recommended for this application? Preferably brush on but if I really had to I could mask off and use a rattle can. I thought about por15 but I have never used it and I would have to order it since its not available locally. I would also like to top coat it for added protection and because I don't plan on using any moulding. Since I've owned the truck it's never had moulding and the look hasn't bothered me. I'm unsure what top coat would be ok with the window sealant and how long I would have to wait before the installer could set the windshield, the sooner the better. Im also a little concerned about the rust converters, Ive looked at a couple, one said not recommended for automotive sheet metal and another said if its used on non rusted metal it could cause rust, that wouldn't be good.

Any advise on what worked for you or help with choosing products that would work good for my scenario would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The technician should have a primer which is urethane specific that is designed to keep the pinch weld from rusting when scratched during replacement and to treat areas that are bare or paint fails. The best bond would be to metal that's primed properly you have less things to fail. I would tape off your sanded pinch weld and prime and paint your area around the window to get it to look the way you want. Then allow the auto glass tech to prime the bonding surface(pinch weld) I've used a few moldings that we get on rolls on those trucks that look okay. You might ask the guy if he'd mind throwing one of those on.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually had this done awhile ago. I was told by by this installer to prime, paint and clear any areas of the pinch weld I worked on. I scraped, sanded and used a wire brush on a cordless drill to clean up the rust some. Then I went over it with 2 coats of rust bullet, filled the area that rusted through with bondo glass and then a couple coats of primer and a couple coats of satin black. I wasn't there for the windshield install but I was told that he said "it looks like a body shop did it". He painted a band around the glass with the primer (the last installer didn't), primed the pinch weld and used a universal rubber moulding.

It's better than it was but the moulding should have been a little wider, it doesn't quite cover the upper corners. The install probably could have been better but all I can hope for now is that it lasts and doesn't leak, still haven't tested it.

Now I have to take my tacoma to a body shop cause I have rust coming out from around the top of the windshield from the hacks that replaced it several years ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts