TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im thinking about buying a 84 truck 22re i think is the engine carburated. problem is the frame is rusted at the lowest point. i have been hold. because there where no holes or water to escape. question is how mutch money should i offer? also what should i look for damage and wear wise?

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
run the opposite direction if there is any indication of frame rot!

Last time I went wheel'n there was a '79 yota at the same ORV park that had a rusted frame.

It came back to the staging area in pieces! both frame rails cracked and broke under the weight. the rust looked like it started in the same area you described.

Oh and the 22re was fuel injected not carburated.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
22re didn't come out until 85, I think.
But, depending on what you want to do with this truck and where it is rusted/rotted, you can always offer the guy some very low figure, assuming that the damage is so bad no one else would offer the guy anything for it, then chop the bad part of the frame off and link it.
Good luck!

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Right - carbureted is 22R. I think >'83 is the same as early 22RE so switching to FI is pretty easy really.

As for the frame rot - depends on if you know how to weld or not. If you can (and like to) then cutting it out and patching in fresh steel will probably not be too much of a problem.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
84 1/2 (were produced after i believe i read somewhere its august 84) is the cutoff for the newer block and easy efi also 84 did not offer the correct dash wiring harness for efi so if you want efi you have to swap motors (complete block) and swap in a dash harness and RE's werent available til 85 hence the dash harness bs. frames can be had fairly easily pending on config of truck (std cab long bed, ext cab short bed, std cab short bed)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts