TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cruzin' H'ville Thursday, (not much else to do up here ... even old men do it :p ) I lost power in the ole' 4Runner. After some trouble shootin' I determined it was the fuel pump. My Haynes manual said it's in the tank so drain & drop the tank. I was about ready to when I called my mechanic buddy who said 'throw the manual away and look under your back seat ya' DA!' Yeah there was an access panel to the top of thew tank and the fix took about 15 mins. I'm sure I'd have gotten the answer here too if I had asked.

I guess the point is ... do your research & trouble shootin' it can save a lot of time and money.

From what I could tell it was the original pump ... seems like them thangs should last more than 240K! :p

Geez maybe ya do have to drop the tank on a truck? Yuck :eek:

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Im glad ya found the access plate before ya droped the tank. And yes the tank has to be droped on a truck, But;) You can also raise the bed.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Good deal!
Could only get 240k mi out of it eh? lol.
Wish the truck had an access panel, had to drop the tank on the 92 truck to R&R the pump last summer...after 185k mi....
Just got my new '85 factory service manual and SON, it's loaded! Have a Haynes too but it doesn't have near the detail as the FSM. Can't wait to finish this tranny!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
ive got the 22r in my 85 and the fuel pump took like five mins. its on the left side of the head at the front of the motor. just a heads up for anyone else who may need to replace one.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
crawlrunner said:
Geez maybe ya do have to drop the tank on a truck? Yuck :eek:
On a truck you'd just remove the bed. :xsmash:

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess elec pumps 'push' better than they pull. Thus they are in the tank. Also w/the filter in the tank rather than 'in line' it's sorta self cleaning ... I don't think it would ever clog gettin sloshed by gas all the time.

Once we cut an inline pump into an old 'Cuda w/a bad mechanical pump & it worked. Could ya do that on a 'Yota if ya had too? You know ... trail fix. Maybe OK for carbs ... don't know about FI?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
You could but make sure you have the correct pressure setting one. Manual makes about 4psi and the electric makes about 10psi. The higher pressure would flood a carb in a heartbeat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts