TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I got an 85 sr5 4runner a few months back that had been sitting in a buddies field for the last 6 years. After cleaning out the dead rat skeletons, bongs and pipes, the truck began to show potential!

For an east coast truck I'm told it is in good shape frame rust wise. Keep in mind, this is supposed to be a budget build and get me back into wheeling.

Here was the last rig I built from the ground up:

I was out of wheeling for a few years and just missed having a project so along came (sorry for crappy cell phone pic quality):

The plan, get an IFS rear axle and weld it with 4.10's. Rebuild spare SFA with lock-rite and put IFS hubs on it with hi-steer.

The parts pile begins to grow:

The carpet was full of decomposed rat carcasses and other nastiness so out it came:

Front end re-build begun on spare axle:

For rear springs, I used a set of Alcans that came with the truck and made some 6" shackles......a little rain can't keep me from doing some redneck work:

IFS rear installed with welded 3rd and all purrrdy:

How she sits with new rear springs and ifs rear:

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Time to start to tackle the front:

Front hanger mock-up with junk axle:

Just for fun:

"good" axle installed, high steer on and frame plated/sleeved for IFS box

Trying out the 37" pitbulls

Got my dual cases done with Marlins 10deg. clocked adapter:

Skid plate is about 1.5"-2" above where stock was so not too shabby:

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason I got rid of the pitbull:

Inside is all cleaned up and bling bling dual shifters!

I shortened my rear shaft (this will be my "road" driveshaft) and have some horrible vibrations so I think my driveline angle needs some work lol:

IFS steering box location (as far up and forward as I could)

Took it for its first drive ever tonight with my new tires: 39.5x13.5x17 iroks:

DOn't worry....longs will be installed before it hits the trail.

Next thing is mod the rear housing to accept an e-locker:

Still need to finish tubbing the rear fenders/patching them shut. Relocate hte airbox and battery so I can get full up-travel, Install shocks, make front driveshaft, make rear sch. 40 trail shaft, sliders, bumpers, cage, paint etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
frame looks great! and this thing was sitting in a field and it still looks that good?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keeping the purple tip?
U know it, slim with a tilted brim
frame looks great! and this thing was sitting in a field and it still looks that good?
Frame is in great shape but the back glass was down so the cargo area has a bit of rust.....easy fix is to just bob it :):saw::saw::saw:

·
Registered
71 Posts
you doing any work in the upcoming weeks? im on Christmas break and would love to come down and do some wrenching

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you doing any work in the upcoming weeks? im on Christmas break and would love to come down and do some wrenching
Hell yeah man. I need to set up my ring&pinion on my e-locker and rebuild the e-locker motor. I also need to install my shocks, make my front driveshaft, swap doors/lock cylinders, sand it to paint, and various other odds and ends.
I'll be home over x-mas break from the 28th on. The 23-28th I'll be back home in KS.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hell yeah man. I need to set up my ring&pinion on my e-locker and rebuild the e-locker motor. I also need to install my shocks, make my front driveshaft, swap doors/lock cylinders, sand it to paint, and various other odds and ends.
I'll be home over x-mas break from the 28th on. The 23-28th I'll be back home in KS.
sweet im game to help any of those days, i have off til the 8th and will probably be bored... do you have off work? or will you be doing it in the evenings?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the 40" tires required a bit more fender trimming and the airbox and battery had to be relocated. Unfortunately I had to go to the ricer style air filter cause hte stock box wouldn't fit so I made a little filter adapter to the stock AFM.

The battery I put in the trunk but still need to put a lid on it so I don't spill battery acid when I flop.

I finished patching in the rear inner fenders...sorry the pic sucks:

Put front shocks in but still need to add a few gussets to the shock towers:

Finished my exhaust but need to add another muffler as it is way too ricey with just a glasspack:

Here is the hole where the battery was that I cut out to make room for the tire uptravel...still need to patch it closed as well as the other side

Hit it with 1 quick coat of primer today and was pleased to see it isn't too tall to fit in the garage:

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The glasspack was too loud so I added a 20dollar thrush muffler and now it sounds much better. I painted the truck tan and the top flat black. Here are some crappy pics of the paint but I was testing out a little flex for the first time.

Since i've had it the truck had a ticking noise:

dohhhh this was in the oil pan

More pics to come!

My longs and 4.7 tcase gears are in the mail :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got a sweet deal on an e-locked 3rd but it had a blown up ring and pinion. This was the first 3rd I'd ever setup by myself from scratch and I learned alot and ended up with a great pattern. I put stock used 4.10's in it with a solid pinion spacer.

Of course, this meant I had to modify my rear axle housing to work with the e-locker. No big deal, an afternoons work and it was done:

I wanted an inspection plug as I fear I may have some broken parts coming soon with my 40" iroks :)
I made the following:

I got my longs in the mail yesterday for the front, 4.7's are in the mail and I still have tons of work to do!!! Next to come I will do my rear shocks, re-do my exhaust, bump stops in the front, install longs, etc. etc. etc.

I also got it tagged in maryland....check out the sweet street rod tags! No inspections etc.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haven't posted in a while but I have been wrenching!

Got my sliders done out of 2x3x1/4 and they are beeeeefy. They are tucked up as high as I could get them w/o cutting rockers and stick out as wide as the door.

I got my e-locker done and wired up using the stock power antannae switch and a 2 relay setup:

Front driveshaft is done. It is 3" schedule 40 tubing with 10" of PTO spline I got at tractor supply. Vibe free!

Next came the roll cage:

I still need to add a bit more triangulation to a few spots but it's a good start.

Also painted the hood w/the retro style graphics:

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I've been doing some work!
Got the cage done except for adding some head padding. Added an X in the back and a / on the B pillar:

Started making a front bumper tonight:

It's not done but a good start for a few hrs work. Honestly it doesn't look as huge of a stinger in real life.

Put my longs in and got my hub gears in the mail!!!

Still procrastinating putting in my 4.7's and twin sticks in my rear case

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Badass! Not how I would have cut the front fenders but oh well. I love these trucks. I'm considering selling my Tacoma for a first gen 4runner already built up and towing it to the trail so I don't have to worry about breaking shit. We'll see :D

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Badass! Not how I would have cut the front fenders but oh well. I love these trucks. I'm considering selling my Tacoma for a first gen 4runner already built up and towing it to the trail so I don't have to worry about breaking shit. We'll see :D
I re-did the fenders :saw::saw::saw: :D
I'll post some new pics up just for you Brain.

The first gen is so much more fun than my tacoma and parts are a dime a dozen and cheap. DOOO it!

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
I re-did the fenders :saw::saw::saw: :D
I'll post some new pics up just for you Brain.

The first gen is so much more fun than my tacoma and parts are a dime a dozen and cheap. DOOO it!
My only concern is I'll be paying insurance for my Honda, a tow rig and an old beater, plus whatever a trailer costs. Just more $$$ :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts