TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
86' 2wd to 86' 4wd questions

Some real basic questions but my searches are coming up short.

Can the cab doors off a 1985 pick up be used on a 1986, with the body lines matching up? will they even fit?

Can the transfer case from a standard 4x4 be used behind an auto trans from a 2wd 1986? The auto trans is out of the 86, I believe it is the A340F and I'm thinking the 4x4 trans is either the G52 or G54.

Basically converting an 86' 2wd auto, to a 4x4. Trying to keep the original 22re motor and trans, 80K original miles. Might be able to pick up a 85' 4x4, manual trans, parts truck.

I have searched and read a lot of the swaps and tech, and as far as I can see there are two cover plates on the transfer cases one spot used for auto and the other used behind a manual trans. please correct me if i'm missing something. Thanks in advance. - Cody

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I just was not sure if the body lines would line up, I know the 2wd and 4wd fenders are different.

As it turns out both trucks are 86', so I guess my question is now can I bolt the 4wd front suspension and transfer case to the 2wd truck. I know the frame rails on the front of the truck are slightly different but are there any other areas that wouldn't allow this to work?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I just was not sure if the body lines would line up, I know the 2wd and 4wd fenders are different.

As it turns out both trucks are 86', so I guess my question is now can I bolt the 4wd front suspension and transfer case to the 2wd truck. I know the frame rails on the front of the truck are slightly different but are there any other areas that wouldn't allow this to work?
How much of that 4x4 ifs is bolt on and how much is going to have to be welded on? If your going to go through ll that I would just sas the thing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was waiting for somebody to mention that.... there are a couple reasons for not wanting to SAS. The first is, that this is not just a regular pick up truck it is actually a 1986 toyota bandit, which is the cab and frame of a toyota pick up with a fiberglass camper on the rear. Not as big as a Sundrader but slightly larger then a Chinook. Here is a factory 4x4 example http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/4x4_bandit.htm
The second reason is, that after a SAS it would no longer fit in a standard garage over head door and or a shipping container.
And the third reason would be, I'd like to keep the drivetrain and suspension fairly stock for ease of tracking down parts when on the road.

I can get my hands on a couple parts trucks with the only difference being they are 4x4 and manual trans. I would like to keep the Auto trans if at all possible but I am not completely opposed to swapping in the manual trans. I guess at this point I'm asking if anybody knows off hand, if I can bolt the transfer case from the manual trans to the auto trans. I know there is more then just slapping the transfer case in, i just need to know if it would work??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts