TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The motor seems like it running to rich. It smokes way to much. Is there a set screw on the carb to adjust rich to lean settings. Whats up if you have motor oil coming out of the motor and into the exhaust manifold? The doughnut ring is gone where the exhaust hooks to the manifold and there is smoke coming out of there. The truck is getting really bad gas mileage and sputters bad. Lose of power. Any suggestions.

New stuff that didnt help
spark plugs
spark plug wires
distributor cap

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry didnt mention this info its a 22R.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
My 22R had a Weber carb - there were screws for air/fuel mixture and idle speed. Sorry - but I don't know where they are on the factory carb...

The process is to let the truck warm up, then set the idle speed, then adjust the air/fuel mix, then the timing. Repeat.

You set the idle speed to where you want it to be. The RIGHT way to adjust air/fuel is to use a vacuum gage, but I always did it and the timing by ear. As you get the air/fuel (or timing) right, the RPM's will go up, then when you pass the sweetspot, they will come down. Adjust them to the peak. I know everyone is going to say use a timing light, and if you have one, you should, but I found that doing it by ear came out right every time so I gave up on the timing light - just made it take longer.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man I'm not a motor person at all your talking rocket science to me. I have no idea how to set the timing to even use my ear or the air/ fuel. I can do lift kits all day but never worked on motors besides spark plugs and wires and oil changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts