TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 85 yota 4x4. I already have a 3" bodylift and wondering if 5" suspension lift with the 3" body will clear 35x15.50x15 sx's on 15x12 rims? What is website called where you get the marlin cross over steering? Is the marlin cross over better or what is the reason for using it over all the rest? New to the early yotas but early tacos are understood.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Live4yotas said:
I have a 85 yota 4x4. I already have a 3" bodylift and wondering if 5" suspension lift with the 3" body will clear 35x15.50x15 sx's on 15x12 rims? What is website called where you get the marlin cross over steering? Is the marlin cross over better or what is the reason for using it over all the rest? New to the early yotas but early tacos are understood.
A 5" lift and an 3" BL will more than than clear 35s. IMO its TOO much. You can run 4" spings and no BL with a minimal amount of fender triming. Here is my rig on 4" Marlin spings with no BL and 35 MTRs right after the install was complete:

and now:

Marlin vs. the various other vendors is a never ending debate. Ultimately its is your call, so search (and I do mean search) on Pirate, Marlin, All Pro, TG, etc. IMO the set ups are virtually the same. The vendor choice tends to run based on loyalty, price, ethics or other factors too long to list. :D

Here is the Marlin link you were asking for:
http://www.marlincrawler.com/

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info everyone. Just waiting on the income tax check now and my check to come in for my tacoma.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shoyrtt can you use the stock hangers with marlin 5" front springs? Or do you have to move hangers? I want a good spring about 5" that I can run on my truck without a bunch of fab work. A stock length spring I can just bolt up. I want to do it myself and the truck is going to be primarily for mud riding and crap like that no rocks where it will need alot of articulation.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Live4yotas said:
Shoyrtt can you use the stock hangers with marlin 5" front springs? Or do you have to move hangers? I want a good spring about 5" that I can run on my truck without a bunch of fab work. A stock length spring I can just bolt up. I want to do it myself and the truck is going to be primarily for mud riding and crap like that no rocks where it will need alot of articulation.
No, you need to run a new front hanger to run the longer spings. Remember the new spings and hanger will also move your front axle a few inches forward, allowing for more clearance. An additional item to consider is the fact with a 5" lift you must go with a high steer kit and a 86+ steering box. The lift you are looking for isn't a bolt on affair. :welder:

Here is a link to my build up if it helps any:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Shoyrtt said:
No, you need to run a new front hanger to run the longer spings.
Not true, Ive got 'longer' 3'' springs on my 85 with the stock front and rear spring hangers. I think using the stock front hangers requires longer than stock shackles. I put some 5.5'' ones on in addition to the springs.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shoyrtt I was thinking that the ifs sterring unit went in the same place as the old unit but just bolted to the frame differently. If this is not so how do you decide where to put the steering box. I mean like exact location. If you have a link explaining how this is done and shows step by step I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks man Great picks on your build.

·
Registered
286 Posts
i have 3" lift with 33x12.5's on 15x10s and i can go to 35"s ez if i had 5" lift springs...i'd probaby go 4" and trim a little....stay low bro

·
Registered
40 Posts
Live4yotas said:
Shoyrtt I was thinking that the ifs sterring unit went in the same place as the old unit but just bolted to the frame differently. If this is not so how do you decide where to put the steering box. I mean like exact location. If you have a link explaining how this is done and shows step by step I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks man Great picks on your build.

Exact location is hard to say. If I remember correctly and looking at the picture above, it looks like it is 3 to 4 inches forward of the old push pull. The items from Marlin included the new sleaves. Wayne cut out the big 3/8" plate to form plus a tab for the top bolt sleave. Lots of welding to both sides of the frame creates a super strong structure. Once everything is in, you can tighten the bolts without crushing the frame. The plate also prevents the frame from cracking. :welder: I'll try to find a more detailed write up for you. :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks man. Eighty five I just prefer to have plenty of more. I like riding high. I do it for the looks and I like offroad a lil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
Live4yotas
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing