TTORA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am saw an 87 pickup on the side of the road today. the body was really rusty I think this is pretty typical for these trucks. I was wondering if I go drive it was should I look for?? do these trucks have the frame that always rusts out right behind the cab? also what motor does it have the 22R or the 22RE I've only have the newer tacos had both a 98 and an 00 I'm just going to get it as a trail rig something to beat on so that I don't have to beat on my nice truck any more!!! thanks for any help of what to look for :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think has the 22r my 88 had a 22r. But it was 2 wheel.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what I figured I think I'm going to go drive it tomorrow.... it's pretty rusty but we'll see how it goes! does 87 have the issue of the frame rusting away right behind the cab??

·
Registered
395 Posts
It could possibly be a 22re. They were both an option. you'll have to pop the hood. The place to look for rust is beside the gas tank. That seems to be the worst place for it. If it's bad you could just cut it off and tube the rear half of the truck. See, it's already getting modded!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
awesome thanks for all the help... as far as just tubing the back half... it will atleast get a flat bed or a cut off wheel to the bed as for it's in horrible shape! what is a good cheap mud tire does anything come to mind?? I'm just going to trailer this to and from the mud hole/dunes so I don't really need anything that's going to be awesome no the street. I might put a plate on it and drive it now and then but it will mainly be a toy... you guys are awesome thanks for the help

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also that has IFS doesn't it I didn't even bother to look.... I'm pretty sure that the 87's do that what year did they change over from solid axle? I just saw an 85 that said it had the factory solid axle

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that's kinda what I thought.... what do you think a truck like this should sell for?? it's an 87 the body is not in good shape at all but if it runs well what do you think it'd go for got any Idea?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Well, I paid $2200 for and '84 4wd with no options (Not even power steering), and the body is pretty rough. The bed has no floor in it from about the front of the wheel well foreward and numerous holes in the sides. The thing leaks water from the windshield frame though try as I might I can't get it to stop leaking. Granted it (only) had 168k on it so it's pretty low mileage. It had no first gear either and a bench seat out of a 2wd. So, I've added a few things like power steering and a w56 tranny. But with that said I don't think I'd pay more than $1500 to $2000 for something I was just going to beat on. My '84 is a DD/work truck as well as play toy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts