TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
87 4Runner build

As if I don't already have enough to fix already, I told my younger brother who's in the Army that I'll fix up his 85 4Runner while he's in Iraq. He is stationed at Fort Riley, Ks with the 1st Infantry Division. Well this was before I actual saw it in person, lets just all make a note NOT to buy a vehicle from Ks or any area that gets heavy snow.
My brother Jeremy,

Me and Jeremy, old pic but I still rock the Clay County 4x4 Tee..

This is his 85 4Runner that he got off of craigslist for $2500 with over 330k miles!

It actual runs very good for having over 330k miles on it. He drove it from Ks to SC and was getting over 20mpg. It doesn't look like it's in bad shape from the pictures either but it's what you can't see is where the problem is. It's got the cancer very bad, as first we thought it was just the normal Toyota rust on the rear half. So we pulled the factory rubber flooring up and uncovered major rusted out holes in both the drivers and pass floor pans. The drivers floor pan has a hole so big you can use your foot for added braking power and it's rusted all the way around the body mount. The passenger side floor pan is almost as bad as the drivers but the rust isn't all the way around the body mount, the hole is big enough stick your fist through. Both rocker panels are rusted out with large holes, the slightest touch just makes the paint push through. The rear 1/4's are rusted very bad too, there isn't anything left of the factory pinch welds. With the interior panels in the cargo (bed) area pulled off you can see day light all the way down both sides. There is large rust out holes in corners of both wheel humps, we had a rock kick up off the road and hit my brother in the back of the head. Two of the rear body mounts are rusted out. Needless to see the body isn't worth saving. We had to change out a U joint and while I was under the 4Runner I looked the frame over and it's actual in good shape compared to the body. I'll take some pics of the rust later..

At first my plan was to find a 1st gen 4Runner body that wasn't rusted out and swap the bodies. I've actual found few but just couldn't get the deal to work out. But I now have a 88 4Runner with a rust free body/frame locked on for $300. The guy that has it was restoring it so it's had the frame redone, has fiberglass front fenders, downey off road 26mm torsion bars, downey steering rods, and all new brake lines/brakes. The body is primed and has been fully dynamated inside (guy says there $1500 of dynamat), could be plus I guess. On a down side there's 3" body lift, could be another plus but I've never liked body lifts. There isn't a engine or trans but it was a 22re 4 cylinder, which are cheap and easy to find. The guy also has some rock sliders, a ARB bumper, and has a brother in law with wrecked 93 chevy pickup with a "3000 miles on rebuild" 4.3L. The 4.3L would be a great engine but I'm going to let my brother pick the power plant. I actual have a set motor mounts to put the 4.3L in a 4cylinder Toyota truck and I hope already have my 4.3 swapped into my 4Runner before I get that point on his.

What I'm thinking about doing is swapping in a engine of my brother's choice and keeping it IFS but going to a Long Travel kit from www.blazeland.us . This kit actual cheaper then a SAS and gives 12" of wheel travel and around 3" to 4" of lift. The rear lift will more then likely be a Deaver Spring mini pack which is what Blazeland uses to match their long travel, if I don't go them some good old 63" Chevy truck springs will great. As for tires I think 35's will be perfect with 4.88 gear depending on what engine we go with, if he wants the 22re 5.29 gears. This will be a daily driver for him and needs to be reliable. He doesn't want a show truck and as you see he does like to wheel. I think have it painted here on base but colors are limited to white, aircraft gray, or dark aircraft gray. For bumpers they will tube bumpers front (if I can't get the ARB) and rear. The rock sliders will be coming with the 88 4Runner so the rocker protection is covered.

I'll be picking up the 88 4Runner next Fri and I hope to work deal for the ARB bumper and rock sliders. I haven't seen pictures of it yet but the guy is suppose to be sending them this weekend. I will post up pics of everything when I get the 4Runner. This will be a long project since he'll be gone over a year but I would like to at least have it drivable by Sept, when he comes home for R&R.

I always watch the "Overhaulin" show and think how there should be a show like that for 4wd's. Maybe one day someone will start it up. I'm going to post this up on pirate and a few other forums with hopes of getting so good deals or help with the build. I'm more then willing to haul the 4Runner down to where ever for help if I have to. I already emailed the guy that owns Blazeland Long Travel about a military discount and will be trying to get touch with Deaver Spring about their "Mini Pack".

I also found a great deal on the drivetrain for this build. A guy over on the Toyota landcruiser forums, who's here in SC has a 94 pickup that's got a 94 4.3L vortec swaped into it. His truck has been rolled twice and some really good parts and for only $700. The 4.3 is mated to the V6 Toyota R150 trans with a center force clutch. The 4.3 is wired with a Howell harness and I was told the truck can be started. It also has a allpro winch bumper and some type of Jeep rock crawler rear bumper (not sure if that's going to work). There is also a 4.88 geared front diff with a locker, he used the rear diff in his new truck. There's a few more good parts on it but for the price the truck is well worth it. I'm going to pick it up Sat afternoon and will take some pics then.

Steven

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got the 4Runner Fri night and it was an adventure. The guy knew I was coming for over a week and didn't have anything together. The 4Runner also turned out to be a 86 going off the title. The interior is stripped down to nothing, not even a steering wheel or dash. There is butt load of dynamatting in it and the frame is clean but he said that he had coating on the frame, well that turns out to be just some flat black spray paint. The brake booster/master cylinder wasn't even hooked up. The 4Runner was sitting in his buddies yard on a gravel pad that was on the side of steep hill. Had to back my truck/trailer do some old ladies drive way and winched the 4Runner onto the trailer. Did I mention that he and his two buddies that were there to help were all drunk and too busy drinking to help load it. So I had to put my little winch on my trailer to a major work out, as I winched it I turn the front tires by grabing the tire. I also had to make sure the drunk guys weren't standing behind the 4Runner during this. Then I had to lot up all the crap that he had for the 4Runner's interior, which wasn't organized. So now I this huge puzzle of parts to figure out.

Then on Sat we went and picked up the 94 pickup with the 4.3. The truck was in Green Sea, SC which is on the SC/NC state line around Tabor City, NC. The truck was supose have been running whne his brother rolled it, I guess during the roll over the wiring for fuel pump was broken. It also didn't have tires on it so I bought my 31" rollers I had for my 4Runner. The guy also removed the rear 3rd member and put it in his 85 4Runner, since it had a locker and was 4.88s. The bad part about that was that he didn't bolt the axles back up to the axle housing but I had all my tools so after we hunted for the nuts I got the axles bolted up to the housing. Then is was time to try and start the 4.3, he had the battery from his 4Runner but when his brother removed the battery from the truck he took the battery clamps and left all the wires all hanging. Once I got the battery wiring figured out and connected I tried to start it but only the starter would just click. I tried jumping the starter with a screw driver but the started still just clicked. I used a breaker bar on the crank to spin the motor by hand, I wanted to make sure it wasn't locked up. The truck has been sitting for a year or so and his brother used it for mudding. I'm hoppping it's just the starter, which I already have two starters. I was hopping that I would have been able to drive the truck onto my trailer but it wasn't happening.

From here I'm going to start by sorting out the huge pile of parts that are for the 4Runner. Which is mostly interior stuff, I think I'm going to have to find a another dash because the guy that owned the 4Runner was trying to cover the dash with some gray tweed to match the seats. After I get all the parts sorted I'll some what know what else I'll need to find to put the 4Runner back together. Then I'm going to get the brakes working, for some reason he removed the master cylinder and booster. I also need to find a steering wheel, he had a GT steering wheel but couldn't find the hub for it. Then I'm going to prep the 4Runner's body and have it primed. My mom is friends with a guy that does body work, so I'm hopping he'll paint it for me. It's completely stripped down so now is the best time to have it painted. I also need to find a windsheild and door glass. I could always remove the glass from my brothers rusted out 85 but I would rather not take anything off of it. Before I start pulling the engine out of the pickup I'm going to replace the starter and hope to get it running good enough to drive around the yard. I have a stock 4.10 3rd member that I'll put in the rear axle housing, if needed.

Here's some pics of the 4Runner and 94 pickup. It's funny that they bother have the wide fiberglass fenders.

A few of the 4Runner,

The 94 pickup,

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Picked up the 4Runner from the body shop today. I know understand why is took so long but I'm glad it's done. The windshield is suppose to be getting put in this week but it was also suppose to be put in last week. I put the door windows, outside handles, locks, and door seals on the 4Runner today. I can't wait to get started on getting the 4.3 in, I still to get a new clutch for it but I'm going to work on getting engine bolted up and wired. I am also thinking about removing the 3" body lift and going with a 1" body lift instead. Here's a couple pics,

·
Registered
271 Posts
You have your work cut out for you, but man that is a nice start. It's going to be too nice to wheel when you get done with it. Looks great. I didn't read every word of your posts, are you putting a 22re in there or that 4.3?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's going to get the 4.3L that was in the 94 pickup. I picked up the pickup for a great price and I could drive it around as it was. The clutch was shot and that really sucks because the centerforce clutch for the 4.3 to R150 trany is over $400.

I'm going to try and get my brother to just put the Kayline I got from you on there. But that's up to him.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts