TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just want some input on what i should do. i have a 99' tacoma 2.7L 4 banger. i have a chance to trade for a 88 toyota solid axle. with a 3.8L V6 buick. with advanced adapters bellhousing running all toyota running gear. it has lockers front and rear frames mint and painted. its got a tube cage back end and roll cage on the inside of the cab. it's all put together right. what would you do? my tacoma has 103k on it but i've beat the shit out of it.
thanks josh :confused:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
We need more specs on the yota. Gears? Dual cases? birfs? lockers? etc, etc.
If you need this vehicle for a DD, do not trade, if you do, it sounds like it is a fair deal.

BTW, are you buying this from a guy that works at Elias 4wd?

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
Sounds like a nice rig. That buick V6 will be nice. Got pics?

Of course I like my 128k 2.7 Ive beaten to death. Plan on keeping mine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well it's got 5:29 gears. detroit lockers. no dual transfercases. mainly built for mud. it has 4 inch sus and 3inch body. i think the axles are running birfields but not sure. he's from brunswick, me. he said he builds up toys and then resells them. ill try and post some pics. i will be driving this to work everyday but its only 15mins back and forth. im not worried about the ruff riding...pics soon

thanks guys

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Bear's Chauffeur
2,240 Posts
If thats going to be your only mode of transportation I wouldn't really do it. And from what your sig says you have done stuff to your taco. So I don't really think this is a straight up fair trade. I would want a little money to trade. But thats just my :2cents:

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
not a fan of the 3" body lift esp on a 20 year old truck. Def not a straight trade. Id want some cash and Id remove the body lift, and cut fenders instead if needed. Plow??? Sheesh.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Ask him for a well-buildt 22RE or 2.7L out of Tacoma to put in that truck instead of that Buick V6. Heck, try to see what you can find regarding the Tacoma 3.4L V6. I'm not a fan of swapping domestic engines into a Toyota 4x4. That takes away from it being a Toyota at all IMO!

·
Registered
121 Posts
GOT COPE? said:
Id say its worth 2k cash. 3's pushin it.
I have to agree with you there, 3 at the very most. And I know your Taco is worth more than that. There is a guy here selling an 85 straight axle with 4" lift, 35s,5.29s, locked front rear, sliders, dual case, automatic and in great shape for 2500.

·
Registered
456 Posts
johnny said:
I have to agree with you there, 3 at the very most. And I know your Taco is worth more than that. There is a guy here selling an 85 straight axle with 4" lift, 35s,5.29s, locked front rear, sliders, dual case, automatic and in great shape for 2500.
link to 85?

also, i would definitely not trade straight up. you will regret it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i went and looked at the truck last night. i thought it was a 88 but its a 85. started it up and runs mint. the engine has been completely rebuilt. all the axles were taken apart and are running heavy duty axles. exhaust is tucked up high. advance adapters bellhousing and the plow hook up in the front is the original 85 plow mount that bolts and unbolts. the cab is mint with no rust and the frame's fully rhino lined. im gonna do the trade and he's giving me 1000 bucks. i fell in love with it. getting it this weekend and putting on a new carb sunday! yee haw

·
Registered
258 Posts
i say it's a bad idea also...you're trading a "newer" decent truck for a 22 yr old stump jumper...that thing is worth nothing to me as a dd and i'd prob. pay around $2500-2800 if i was going to buy it for a trail beater. I think you'll regret trading your full bodied taco for that unfinished tube bed and carb'd 1985 technology. what exactly does "heavy duty axles" mean? who makes them? i bet they aren't Long's, probably some EMPI crap that breaks just as fast as stock axles. if you're into mud, i hate to tell you but, ifs usually does a little better when used with a good belly pan.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
11 Participants
GOT COPE?
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing