TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am selling my 4runner. I don't need all the expensive items it has; leather seats.

I am wondering which truck to get. The main thing I am going to be using it for is commuting from Morgantown, WV to Southern MD, about a 250 mile trip through the mountains.

89-95 Pick-Up or a 95.5-99 Taco

Both specs are: 4 cylinder with a 5 speed trans and 4x4. I am not sure if I am wanting a Extended cab or Regular cab yet.

Future Specs: will be running 33x10.50R15 BFG MT KM, with 2-3" lift.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
wvuviv30 said:
I am selling my 4runner. I don't need all the expensive items it has; leather seats.

I am wondering which truck to get. The main thing I am going to be using it for is commuting from Morgantown, WV to Southern MD, about a 250 mile trip through the mountains.

89-95 Pick-Up or a 95.5-99 Taco

Both specs are: 4 cylinder with a 5 speed trans and 4x4. I am not sure if I am wanting a Extended cab or Regular cab yet.

Future Specs: will be running 33x10.50R15 BFG MT KM, with 2-3" lift.
I have owned both however my 93 was a 4cyl and their is no comparision. The new tacomas are vastly superior. Quieter, drive nicer, much smoother, and WAY more power. I also had quite a few eletrial problems with my 93 (back in the late 90's so it was the same age as my 96 tacoma). I wouldn't go back to a pre taco.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
wvuviv30 said:
I am selling my 4runner. I don't need all the expensive items it has; leather seats.

I am wondering which truck to get. The main thing I am going to be using it for is commuting from Morgantown, WV to Southern MD, about a 250 mile trip through the mountains.

89-95 Pick-Up or a 95.5-99 Taco

Both specs are: 4 cylinder with a 5 speed trans and 4x4. I am not sure if I am wanting a Extended cab or Regular cab yet.

Future Specs: will be running 33x10.50R15 BFG MT KM, with 2-3" lift.
Oh Yea. If your going though the mts you NEED the v6 and the new new V6 not the old 3.0. My 93 had 2in lift and 32X11.50's mtrs on it, with exaust & intake. it would not do over 80mph. I floored it for 25 miles on the freeway from Longview to Vancouver once night and never once did i go over 80mph. And thats over flat land. I just got back from a 400 mile round trip to southern oregon through the mts and I got 22.63 MPG and never had to drop out of 5th. With my 4cyl I would be in 3rd at 4K rpms just to get up the hill.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CMB1998 said:
Oh Yea. If your going though the mts you NEED the v6 and the new new V6 not the old 3.0. My 93 had 2in lift and 32X11.50's mtrs on it, with exaust & intake. it would not do over 80mph. I floored it for 25 miles on the freeway from Longview to Vancouver once night and never once did i go over 80mph. And thats over flat land. I just got back from a 400 mile round trip to southern oregon through the mts and I got 22.63 MPG and never had to drop out of 5th. With my 4cyl I would be in 3rd at 4K rpms just to get up the hill.

Chris
I will never buy another 3.0. I am looking at the 4 clyinder for gas mileage... as got being able to go over 80, that doesn't bother me, max speed limit is 70mph.
 

·
Chicks Dig Body Damage
Joined
·
542 Posts
Tacomas are far more superior. More power, better suspension, look better, and newer.

Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
wvuviv30 said:
I will never buy another 3.0. I am looking at the 4 clyinder for gas mileage... as got being able to go over 80, that doesn't bother me, max speed limit is 70mph.
I was just making a point with that. What really bothers me about the 4cyl is the laque of torque. I couldn't climb even a small incline without downshifting. Also before I get flamed I am talking about the old 118HP 2.4L that they put in the pretacos.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
If you are going to be using it mostly for communting in the mountains get an old Subaru or Honda

I had a 96 5 speed, 2.7 4cly Tacoma with the 255/15 wheels on it. It got like 24 miles to the gallon and it was a blast to drive on curvy mt. roads. My 99 with the V6 feels top heavy and sucks gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts
CMB1998 said:
Oh Yea. If your going though the mts you NEED the v6 and the new new V6 not the old 3.0. My 93 had 2in lift and 32X11.50's mtrs on it, with exaust & intake. it would not do over 80mph. I floored it for 25 miles on the freeway from Longview to Vancouver once night and never once did i go over 80mph. And thats over flat land. I just got back from a 400 mile round trip to southern oregon through the mts and I got 22.63 MPG and never had to drop out of 5th. With my 4cyl I would be in 3rd at 4K rpms just to get up the hill.

Chris
So what engine/vehicle do you have now and what engine was in your 93, the 22re?

Get a tacoma. I like the 98-00's better than pre 98 tacos because of the frontend/lighting and the TRD option. If you get a ext-cab, get the V6. If you get a single, a 4cyl would be fine. And STICK IT!!! Auto suck...haha well I dont prefer the feel/way they act/mileage (avg 1-2mpg less than a equivalent stick...V6's).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
Kyota said:
So what engine/vehicle do you have now and what engine was in your 93, the 22re?

Get a tacoma. I like the 98-00's better than pre 98 tacos because of the frontend/lighting and the TRD option. If you get a ext-cab, get the V6. If you get a single, a 4cyl would be fine. And STICK IT!!! Auto suck...haha well I dont prefer the feel/way they act/mileage (avg 1-2mpg less than a equivalent stick...V6's).
My 93 was the 22re my 96 is the 3.4 I second the stick. Also anyone notice that the new tacos get better MPG with the AUTO. I am guessing it has to do with gear ratios, The final drive ratio in the stick is higher making the 0-60 better in the stick.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I once had a car, I got into much trouble to own another car (95 Ford Probe GT, fully modded). Plus I play ice hoceky and I need a place to put my hockey bag, so a truck is perfect.

I will be getting a manual trans, I will agree that the autos suck.

Owyhee - Where are you from?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually would rather have one of the older trucks than the 95.5-04's . I absolutely love my 05 tacoma, but after owning 3 tacomas (1 reg cab, 2 ext cabs, all V-6 5spds) and a 89 (I still own)91, and 93 toyota trucks all 4 cyl, I like the way the old trucks drive much better. My 91 and 2 of my tacomas were outfitted with 4 inch pro comp lifts and 33's. The 91 did require 4:88's to turn them, the V-6 tacomas were fine. The old trucks are definately built to be a real truck, with a tougher suspension, and regular tried and true recirculating ball steering. They are cheaper to fix, and cheaper to build. The big problem is, they are all old trucks now. And the 3.0 six in the old trucks suck. But between the two, if I could find a mint 94-95 extracab with a 22re and a 5 speed I would be all over it. They are definately slower, but with the right gears they do just fine.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top