TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, I parked my pickup few weeks and now it's no longer starting I get a check engine light (mil #14) which is ''igf signal from igniter is not input to ecm for 6 consecutive ignitions'' from my chilton manual

truck is a 89' with 3vz engine and manual trans

I tried the following , replace the coil and igniter for and other one (not 100% sure it's a good one but gets the same code with this one), bypass the to wires that are between the ecu and igniter, replace the ecu.

in all the case car still not starting and same mil #

appart from igniter is there something else that can trigger mil # 14

thanks
Michel

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I don't think many if anyone on here knows Toyota's proprietary OBDI codes. Common codes among makes didn't come into being until OBDII. If you can find a FSM, it will be listed in there somewhere.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Codes

Can I flame the great Dick Foster? I haven't been here that long, but if everybody else does it, it must be ok. The code is for the igf signal, like he said in the first post. That signal is sent from the igniter back to the computer after the corresponding igt signal is sent from the computer to the igniter. Normally it is a igniter problem, but if you changed it out and still got the same problem, I would check the wiring and the distributor pickup. The igniter has to be grounded to the chassis, so don't try it unbolted. Also since it started after sitting a while I would look very hard for rat damage to wiring, if you live in an area that may have pack rats or something to chew on wiring. The distributor sends a signal to the computer which sends a signal (igt) to the igniter, which grounds the coil to send spark to the distributor and to the plugs. Logically, if the computer doesn't see the distibutor signal it should throw that code, but I don't know if there is one, so the distibutor could be the problem. Hopefully that helps.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
That's not flaming, nitwit. You're gonna have to try a lot harder. I'm actully glad you had the codes for him.
If you need some flaming tips, let me know and I'll see what I can work up for you. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
Dick Foster
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing