TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor is selling a 89 v6 x-cab 4x4 5spd 250,000 + miles, for a couple hundred dollars(if that much), it has a smashed up drivers side fender and the headlight is loose, i thought about buying it for a trail rig so i dont mess my taco up anymore, truck has no title and has a slight engine miss to it, neighbor says its a valve sticking or something like that he thinks, it moves good in low range but in high range lacks alot of power. it fires up as soon as you turn the key over. the spark plugs and wires appear to be rather old, not sure what kind they are. i was wondering if plugs, cap and wire could cause it too run like that. if so what kind do you all recommend that i put in it too see if that gets rid of the miss. my 98 3.4 runs kinda crappy when the plugs go bad but it does not miss like that. my best friend has a 94 x-cab w/ 3.slow and his truck has alot of power compared to this one. i guess in all my rumblings i am wondering your alls opinion on it, whether or not i should get it or just save my money for stuff for my taco

·
Registered
288 Posts
R U N !!!!! when those engines take a crap it isnt checp...plugs,wires,cap and rotor is going to be a $100 or so just to see, that stuff will cause the miss but so will a sucked valve or a burnt valve and with that motor it happens alot. :2cents:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hell for a couple hundred bucks, buy it and run it till it dies, then put in a 3.4. You'd have cool off roader.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I would buy it. Once the motor goes for good. Pull that 3.0L POS out and put a better motor in its place. You will have a good parts truck if anything.
I'm assuming it's a 5speed. The R150 is a nice strong tranny, the t-case is almost worthless as far as wheelin goes... if you want to go duals, or put want differenet low range gears in.
The rear axle is worth more due to the bigger bearing V6 carrier, and wider WMS-WMS and bigger drums.
the interror is nicer than the 1st gens (quieter and a little wider)

This all can be different on the condition of the vehicle.
bradrob82 said:
My neighbor is selling a 89 v6 x-cab 4x4 5spd 250,000 + miles, for a couple hundred dollars(if that much), it has a smashed up drivers side fender and the headlight is loose, i thought about buying it for a trail rig so i dont mess my taco up anymore, truck has no title and has a slight engine miss to it, neighbor says its a valve sticking or something like that he thinks, it moves good in low range but in high range lacks alot of power. it fires up as soon as you turn the key over. the spark plugs and wires appear to be rather old, not sure what kind they are. i was wondering if plugs, cap and wire could cause it too run like that. if so what kind do you all recommend that i put in it too see if that gets rid of the miss. my 98 3.4 runs kinda crappy when the plugs go bad but it does not miss like that. my best friend has a 94 x-cab w/ 3.slow and his truck has alot of power compared to this one. i guess in all my rumblings i am wondering your alls opinion on it, whether or not i should get it or just save my money for stuff for my taco

1 - 4 of 4 Posts