TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WARNING!!! Viewing these images may permanently impair your cognitive ability to forgive yourself for missing this trip. PROCEED WITH CAUTION!! :)

We started in Carbondale with fjcruzer, Canito, GB68, Colin and TwoDogs. We then rendezvoused with Ike and 92regcab in Marble and extremepaint and FJ80 caught up to us at the top of the Punchbowl! We decided to nix Lead King Basin and Richmond Ridge, but still ended up with a 12 hour run. My odo round trip from Carbondale showed 134 miles.

Beaver Lake outside Marble

Some color on the way to Crystal Mill

The area around the mill

Greg (GB68), his father Ron, and his very nicely built truggy

Joe and Annette and the TwoDogs ran tailgun to make sure all of the Yotas made it okay :D

On the way up to Schofield past Crystal City

Below the Punchbowl in the chute

The Devil's Punchbowl

Across the water at the top we ran into several folks coming from Crested Butte. Most didn't stop to chat :rolleyes:

All together before heading to CB and beyond

Italian Creek Road

Top of Taylor Pass @8:30pm

TwoDogs keeping an eye out...

Isaac bestows the Munny... (arias in the background...)

Coming down Express Creek road in 3 second exposures :D

I love this run! I'll try to hunt down some action shots and vid from Canito. We had sun, clouds, thunder in the distance and some snow on top of Taylor... perfect! However, my favorite part was lunch and using tweezers...

As Nate said, it would be nice to make this a two/three day :driving: with some alpine :camping: Unfortunately I only had the single day to host this year, but perhaps we can get up there in the spring or summer and hit all the good stuff, to include Lead King Basin and Pearl Pass, as well as a few other trails I know we can have some fun on :)

Thank you all for making it a memorable day.
:xbeer3:

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got home (in Carbondale) at 10:30pm (no internet in them thar hills mind you), got up in the A.M. and managed to blaze back to Denver and arrive only 15 minutes late to my first class :) Next time I'll be sure to bring the satellite uplink so we don't have this problem again :D

·
20,355 Posts
I made it back to ft collins by 1:45. It wasnt that bad. I had to take the day off from work to study though today:rolleyes:

·
20,355 Posts
So no shots of anyone going through the tippy spot on the talus shelf road on reno divide?

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made it back to ft collins by 1:45. It wasnt that bad. I had to take the day off from work to study though today:rolleyes:
Gots to have priorities!! That's good time. Glad you made it safe.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So no shots of anyone going through the tippy spot on the talus shelf road on reno divide?
I didn't have my camera at the time, but I know Zane got some pics and vid.

·
7,735 Posts
Nice run, damn wish I could have made it. Oh, well maybe next year.

Why'd you skip Lead King Basin and Richmond Ridge?

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why'd you skip Lead King Basin and Richmond Ridge?
Combination of time and wanting to see the Crystal Mill. By the time we got to the top of Taylor Pass it was dark and starting to snow. The fun part about the ridge is watching the sun set, so rather than watching snow in our headlights for another 2 hours, we cruised down Express Creek to get everyone on their way home.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Aw, whered the 'look ma, no hands?' picture go eric? :p

It was a fun trip, we made some pretty good time over independence pass and i must say, 82 over that direction was a very fun drive... even in a sloppy suspension setup :p the drive home wasnt BAD, but it wasnt great. I was exhausted, and it showed in my driving i think lol... there were times id catch myself getting lazy and riding one line or the other.

Looking forward to pictures of that tippy spot on the Reno Divide!

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
lol that 1st one is going to be my new wallpaper i think :p

ordered my new tires for my truck yesterday, hopefully that'll make the stance look a little more agressive... i've never liked pictures of the front of my truck :eek:

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
OMG That is awesome. Troy and I are sure sorry we had to miss it! Next year for sure OK Guys? Awesome pics and a great Crew!

·
Registered
357 Posts
sweet pics sorry i didnt make it stuck in pueblo, im kinda livin there and cb what did you guys think of upper reno it doesnt look as bad as it use to, was the big rock still there that you have to drive up on and tips you to the ledge?

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sweet pics sorry i didnt make it stuck in pueblo, im kinda livin there and cb what did you guys think of upper reno it doesnt look as bad as it use to, was the big rock still there that you have to drive up on and tips you to the ledge?
Sorry we missed you too. We'll catch ya later. None of my pics show the tippy spot, and the big rock is still there, but the trail's been widened/shifted a bit on the upper side, so not as tippy since you can take a high line and avoid tipping toward the shelf. Still got some hearts racing with the shifting talus though :D

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Looks like that was a great day. I didn't realize that this was a day trip. I thought you guys were camping that's why I didn't tag along. That video was nice. I take those rocks were the worst part of the runs?

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Several folks camped the night before, a few the night after, and some drove all the way home Sunday night. I was already up there, so I had it easy!

The challenging parts of the trails are above the punchbowl, the talus shelf road on Italian Creek 1A and climbing out of Taylor Creek.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts