TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought my '87 4runner with what i thought was 5.29s in the diffs, but turns out they are 5.71s. it already had a SAS done. right now its spinning bald 35x15.5 baja claws. front and rear has auto lockers (not sure what kind, but probably lunchbox). it's lifted pretty high (guy said 9", more like 12" or somewhere in between), but probably not high enough for tires that the gears match up to. so my question is this, when i do buy new tires for it sometime in the future, what would be the ideal size? i have no problem cutting shit out of the body since its already dented and rusted to hell and painted primer black -- which is flaking off. this thing is for trails and nothing else. i got it to save my daily driver from trail bruises. a concern of mine is that the 5.71s are going to cause damage on the trail and that isnt what i want. let me know what size tire to get and how to care for them accordingly and what NOT to do, etc. if your answer is to get 5.29s, dont even post it cause i dont have the fucking kala for gears. (unless you want to trade)

heres some pictures of the rustrunner

·
Registered
587 Posts
Just leave the 35's, for the trail its better to have that kind of gearing. Just get some BFG M/Ts when you decide to buy tires and call it a day. I'm not familiar AT ALL with axles so you might also want to think about what tires your axles are capable of turning. From my understanding D44s should be okay with 35s and any bigger would be pushing it.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
With a manual tranny, 5.71's are good to 37's, maybe 40's. They will be great for a trail rig with 35's and still be plenty driveable.

With an auto, you're going to have a hard time holding the overdrive on the way to the trail with 35's. That might not be a problem for you on Hawaii and as a trail rig.

The big problem is you're getting into the range where you MAY have strength problems with the axles themselves and need to be looking at Longfields, etc - and that's big money.

I would stick with 35's or maybe 37's if you're easy on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts