TTORA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will everybody tell me what they think the difference is between a 9003 and an H4 bulb? Ive looked and looked at these two bulbs side by side and I cant see any difference. Ive tried H4's and I know they fit and work in place of a 9003 so whats the difference.

My one guess is that an h4 can be made at different wattages whereas the 9003 standard says it has to be 55/60 or whatnot.... tell me waht you think

·
Registered
479 Posts
I asked Silvania the same question when I found out that they were charging more for the H4 bulb because it had on the box "for motorcycle use only". Since they were the same bulb, I wondered what the deal was. They said that they do this because most people that will buy the H4 for motorcycles only purchase one and not a pair. Most people that get auto bulbs look for the 9003 number and get a pair. Point being, they are the same bulb, just done differently for different markets.

·
Registered
878 Posts
with Hella bulbs the difference between the H4 bulb and the 9003(longer) was the length of the glass and filament...you want the longer bulb because it will work better with the reflector in the '98 to present Tacoma ...
the H4 label is a european standard and the 9003 is a US standard
the bulbs I bought wears both labels!!
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/bulb_help.htm
take a look thru the link it has good info on it all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts